Polar Loop and H7

Options
I started using a Polar Loop and H7 hrm and love them. I realize neither connects to mfp or mapmyfitness which is a bummer in itself but what I can't figure out is the best way to use them together. If I use the hrm connected to my loop I'm able to view my hr while I run by looking at the loop and my hr information is uploaded to flow like it should. My gps data from the same run though gets entered into flow as a second workout when it should be the same.

I suppose I could just beat and grab both but then I can't look at my wrist and see my hr (which I like to use so I can keep myself paced correctly - I have a tendency to speed up and run myself off the top and have to stop)

How are others using these devices, which apps do you prefer and how do handle getting the data into all the places it needs to go (cause I love the reports and data)?

Replies

• clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Just heard from Polar Jan 2015 they are linking with MFP woo hoo!

Re how I use mine, I use the polar beat app on my iphone when running, elliptical or walking with the h7 this synchs to flow and is incorporated into your loop data (now). I like the GPS data etc which you dont capture with the loop alone.
  • trkinsky
    trkinsky Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am researching the H7 because my Polar FT80 malfunctions during extremely rigorous activity (Like hockey). How far does the bluetooth signal reach? Can you map your heartrate over time with zonal variation like with FlowLink software? It would be nice to get a review from a user rather than Polar
  • kwbinmd
    Options
    I use my Polar Loop with the H7 exclusively. GPS is a secondary concern for me. I use RunKeeper for that plus it has distance which the Loop doesn't have. This indirectly gets my runs into MFP since it connects with RunKeeper. I have to manually edit the calories in MFP but it works for now until Polar sorts things out. In this way I can look at the loop while running to monitor what her zone I'm in. I get audio cues on my phone for my intervals. When I'm done I can sit down and review it all.
  • RNGRZulu
    RNGRZulu Posts: 3,964 Member
    Options
    I've been only using it for one day and it seems to reaaaaaallllly over estimate the calories I burn. I put it on this morning at 5:30am, put on the H7 too. I went to the gym and have a moderate to tough workout. It's 10:43am and it's telling me I already burned 2016 calories.
    My workout (~40 minutes of weight training, 25 minutes of hard spinning and 5 minutes of Zumba for Friday Funday) burned 1060 calories according to that. So that's 956 calories just driving to the gym and then sitting at work.
  • RNGRZulu
    Options
    Still no synch with MFP???
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    My Polar H7 links with Endomondo. My Endomondo app links with MFP.
  • RNGRZulu
    Options
    That's just the HRM though. Polar Flow gives analysis from the Loop and H7 together which can help see things like total Calories per day, sleep, resting HR, avg HR, max HR, and tracks all that over time.

I don't want to have to add another app. There was word that it would be integrated by January. Guess the word was false.
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Polar Flow's calorie burn includes your BMR, that's why it looks so high.
  • DaSavedSinner
    DaSavedSinner Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I just got Loop and h7 yesterday and so far I like it. I was using ft7. I use Apple health, flow, and Digifit to sync to MFP. Still learning it so there may be a better way but so far it works fine once you sync flow to your loop, then Apple health to the loop, then MFP. Sounds more complicated than it is.
  • RNGRZulu
    Options
    Polar Flow's calorie burn includes your BMR, that's why it looks so high.

But you can go to the Training Diary and subtract the workout calories from your total daily calories and estimate your avg daily BMR.
  • squaregum
    squaregum Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    RNGRZulu wrote: »
    That's just the HRM though. Polar Flow gives analysis from the Loop and H7 together which can help see things like total Calories per day, sleep, resting HR, avg HR, max HR, and tracks all that over time.

I don't want to have to add another app. There was word that it would be integrated by January. Guess the word was false.

I usually export my work/activity from flow to endomondo.

• RNGRZulu
    Options
    Didn't realize I needed to take off the HRM when I'm not doing cardio. Lifting weights gives a heartrate increas that doesn't result in the VO2 that you get from cardio. So, although my heartrate goes up during lifting, I'm not really burning the calories that the HRM is calibrated to record. So, now I use the MFP model for "Strenght Traning" for my lifting (whether it's HIIT, Circuit training, Tabata, or traditional sets) and only strap up when I do cardio (running, biking, arc trainer, elliptical, swimming, etc.).
  • MalekaSparkle
    MalekaSparkle Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Using my Loop and H7, in the Polar Flow app it says I burned 616 in the training diary analysis , how accurate is that info? Because that's the number that is transferred into the MFP in the "exercise calories burned" in MFP dairy
  • RNGRZulu
    Options
    Using my Loop and H7, in the Polar Flow app it says I burned 616 in the training diary analysis , how accurate is that info? Because that's the number that is transferred into the MFP in the "exercise calories burned" in MFP dairy

If you use the H7 (or any HRM) for cardio, it should be a good method to estimate calories burned. But, if you do lifting, or yoga, or Pilates...it can give you a very inaccurate estimate.
  • MalekaSparkle
    Options
    Thank you! So what I'm hearing is the H7 is only good for cardio in determining calories burned for MFP?
  • MalekaSparkle
    Options
    Answer is Yes.. Thank you for the link