Soft food for the 'toothless'!

Options
Hello everyone,
I had to get my wisdom teeth (all 4) removed 10 days ago. I have been on liquids and mashed foods so far and still managed to lose about 1 pound in this period. I slowly plan on graduating to soft solid foods by the end of the week. I know what I can have for breakfast(oats and milks/milkshakes) and lunch(soups) but I am at a loss for dinner. If anyone has suggestions for healthy vegetarian soft foods that I can have for dinner, I would be grateful. I'd like to eat fibres but it needs chewing and I don't think my jaws are ready for it yet.. And I am scared of small food lodging in the 'holes' leading to an infection..I am extra cautious cos I don't want complications of any sort so close to holidays. But I don't want my December weight loss tally to read 1 pound! And I am so tempted to buy all the wrong foods! :(
Thank you!

Replies

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Cooked veggies (broccoli, zucchini, green beans) - but cook them until they are really soft, almost mushy - boil broccoli and green beans and season with salt/pepper and olive oil....you can also boil zucchini, or if you slice it really thin you can saute it. If you like crisp veggies, then you'll probably hate the texture, but you'll be able to eat them. Serve with a baked or mashed potato (regular or sweet).

Pretty much any pasta - just overcook it a bit.

Be careful with the milkshakes - make sure you do NOT use a straw. The suction can create a dry socket (basically it pulls the blood clot out of the hole) which is unbelievably painful.
  • shattrdillusion
    Options
    tofu stew? think vegetarian soon doo boo with a miso or vegetable broth, lots of spices. or throw in shirataki or mung bean noodles, those are fairly soft. roasted butternut squash or yams, zucchini noodles can be good bases to start with.

if you need fiber in general, green smoothies are good; I usually throw a little bit of frozen pineapple and apple into a little water with 6 oz of spinach with some ground flaxseed and lemon juice but you can find tons of recipes online.

you're better than i would be in your situation, I'd be using it as an excuse to go on a mashed potato diet :)
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    you're better than i would be in your situation, I'd be using it as an excuse to go on a mashed potato diet :)

Word. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

When I had my wisdom teeth out (at 18), I think I lost 5 lbs in two weeks (of course, I gained it back as soon as I was back to eating "real food"). LOL! I was lucky though - when they first started talking about taking them out, the bottom ones were impacted and there was talk of having to break my jaw to scrape them out. Thankfully, in the two years between that initial conversation and the final decision, the lower ones had flipped around and all 4 had at least partially come in. :) I was completely back to normal in two weeks (although I didn't drink anything through a straw for a month).

I must say though, getting wisdom teeth out was a complete picnic compared to getting my tonsils and adenoids out at 21. With that, I subsisted on popsicles and mashed potatoes for three weeks, and it was almost 6 weeks before I felt even remotely like myself again....and a solid two months before I was back to normal. :weary:
  • asdowe13
    asdowe13 Posts: 1,951 Member
    Options
    Buy a blender - blend everything.

• spacesinger
    spacesinger Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Thanks a lot y'all.. Helps.. Wonder why I never thought of tofu! Must be the medicines..
    I had my tonsils removed when I was 11 too.. I totally understand how it must have been at 21!
    I am not a big fan of potatoes actually.. I think I have had enough potato in the last one week.. Won't be eating them any time soon again!

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Make a pan of bread pudding: eggs, bread, sugar, cinnamon, a little butter.
  • yourfitnessenemy
    yourfitnessenemy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Green smoothies?
  • spacesinger
    spacesinger Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Bread pudding sounds good.. thanks!
    I am looking up for recipes of green smoothies now.. :)
    Also, anyone with experience, when did you start eating normally, including hard foods?
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Veggie mince or lentil cottage pie?
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Also, anyone with experience, when did you start eating normally, including hard foods?

I started eating solid foods pretty much the next day after all the anesthetics had worn off and I could feel my mouth again. Not anything really hard to begin with, but cooked greens, tender meats such as chicken breast etc.

I also got a syringe with a blunt needle with a 45 degree bend in it for rinsing out the cavities after eating.

syringe.jpg
  • CamilleNoemi
    CamilleNoemi Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I lost about 3kg or so when I got my wisdom teeth removed :smiley:

Just any cooked vegetables and even beans. You can cook them really long and mash/blend them.