To weigh or not to weigh

Options
13»

Replies

• veronakings
    Options
    the only time I weigh myself is at my annual physical or other doctors visits (I try not to look). if you have ever had any body issues or eating disorders a great way to relapse is with the scale. be careful. it's just a number. maybe instead of saying you want to lose 50 lbs you could set some fitness goals for yourself or healthy living goals.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week. I take measurements and pictures of myself once a month. I look in the mirror every day. I notice my clothing fitting differently. I feel exercises getting easier the more often I do them. These are all different ways I am measuring progress. I'm sure I'd lose weight without weighing myself as long as I keep up logging my food and exercising.

A scale is one type of way you can keep track of progress. If you don't want to weigh yourself often, or at all, then you might want to choose another measure of progress to work toward like a clothing size or an exercise goal.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Weighing every week or two is fine with me. I'm at goal and I log food daily; I expect no change at this point, or very minimal change. I tape measure myself every once in a while. If my size 8 pants are comfy that is also a sign that I am staying where I intend to be.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I rarely weigh myself. I can just TELL when I'm packing on too much - clothing getting too tight, feeling like a pile of crap, not liking what I see in the mirror. That's what I go by.

Yep, same here. The scale never surprises me, just confirms what I already know.

• BCDon
    BCDon Posts: 1
    Options
    Ooooo, I just read that someone has a WiFi Scale. I think I may need to get one of those. In any case, I weigh daily. If you are concerned about daily fluctuations then weigh daily and calculate a weekly average. The weekly average "should" tell you if you are heading in the right direction. You could also use a "rolling 7 day" average but then you'd really have to compare results from 1 week apart anyway. Another way that might work for some folks is to average your weight from Monday through Sunday. Then, on the current week, create your average each day. As you get close to the weekend (where we tend to screw up the most), you'll know where you are at.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends on how much of an issue the scale is for you. For me, avoiding it allowed my weight to get out of hand, so I'm weighing daily now, and learning the fluctuations are natural. I plan to continue weighing daily on into the future to stay on track for life and will no longer ignore my way into the situation I'm in now.

If you've had issues where you've obsessed over the scale in the past, then daily weighing might not be the best thing for you.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you.

Logging consistently, whatever you log, works for most people. It is the daily logging, the daily self-awareness, that starts and enforces the good behaviors.
  • Virkati
    Virkati Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily. It's the best way I've found, so far. I restarted trying to get healthy again just over a month ago and weighing daily keeps me accountable and motivated. Helps me see that if I ate something I feel like I shouldn't, that it doesn't automatically mean I'm a failure, and it shows me that working out is helping me make positive progress towards my goal. Minor fluctuations aren't as upsetting as regular momentum in the wrong direction. But then, that's what helps me know that changes are necessary and they are needed immediately. You'll find what works for you :)