Pre-diabetic ? about Sugar/Carbs

Options
Hi,
I was just told by my doc that I am pre-diabetic. For anyone else that is or are diabetic....how many grams of sugar & carbs should I set up on here? Right now mfp is showing I can have up to 57g Sugar & Carbs 191, but that seems really off to me. Bare with me...no I am not very knowledgeable about all this stuff, but I have been trying to research all day & want to learn more. Thanks

Replies

• segacs
    segacs Posts: 4,599 Member
    Options
    I'm not pre-diabetic, but when your doctor diagnosed you, didn't he/she review some recommendations on how to manage it? If not, you should ask for advice, and perhaps a referral to a dietitian.
  • JustMe2691
    JustMe2691 Posts: 111 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Try this for starters, but I agree, you should talk to your doctor.

http://www.webmd.com/diabetes/news/20080723/prediabetes-new-recommendations
  • JoyeII
    JoyeII Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you meet with a dietician.

I was pre-diabetic. I had slightly high fasting glucose levels and high A1C levels. I have been eating a 50% fat, 25% protein, 25% carbs diet and have lost around 45 lbs. so far. I eat about 1800 calories per day, which puts me at around 100 grams of carbs per day. I avoid sugary treats. I will eat whole grain breads, some pasta, some rice, but limit myself to one sweet treat per week. Sugar free Jell-O and/or pudding are great for curbing a sweet craving as well. I've found that if I stick to 30ish carbs per meal, and eat sufficient fiber, protein and fat with my carbs, my blood glucose levels remain fairly stable. I also exercise regularly (bike, walk/run, swim, sports, etc.).
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    segacs wrote: »
    I'm not pre-diabetic, but when your doctor diagnosed you, didn't he/she review some recommendations on how to manage it? If not, you should ask for advice, and perhaps a referral to a dietitian.

THIS!!!! This is not a medical forum. People can speak to their own experiences, but you should really consult with your own physician.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was just told by my doc that I am pre-diabetic. For anyone else that is or are diabetic....how many grams of sugar & carbs should I set up on here? Right now mfp is showing I can have up to 57g Sugar & Carbs 191, but that seems really off to me. Bare with me...no I am not very knowledgeable about all this stuff, but I have been trying to research all day & want to learn more. Thanks

Your specific numbers should really come from your doctor.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Are you on any medication?

I'm insulin resistant, and my doctor has me on a moderate carb intake, but that's about it. Aside from losing weight :) (62 pounds down, I'm going to retest soon and hopefully no more meds)

You should ask what you need to do.
  • Crystal_LDee
    Crystal_LDee Posts: 17 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Just saw my doc yesterday and was told all this. She is giving me 4 months to get things in check myself & turn things around...otherwise she said we will have to speak about meds & seeing a dietician. I told her about being on mfp and she said she likes this site...then told me to just track my sugar/chol/sodium/fiber/carbs. Along with exercise daily.
    Thank you for all the info
    *Don't have to worry....I know this isn't a medical forum & I wouldn't just blindly follow what anyone says. She told me to track stuff on mfp...so I just simply wanted to know if people believe mfp is pretty accurate on sugar/carbs.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    I went with my doctors advice of no more than 120g of carbs per day, any carbs. That plus a prescription for Metformin worked wonders for me, I've lost 96 pounds and am allowed to eat normal carbs again (but avoid added sugars mostly). This will not work for everyone, this is what worked for me. You may have a different medication (if at all) and might need a different plan.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options