weight loss/muscle loss ?

Options
When did you start noticing that you were losing muscle along with your weight?

This might be my imagination, but I think my stomach is less muscular as well as flatter. It's clearly smaller, but it feels doughier. I have lost 27 pounds (CW: 5'6" and 173). I plan to do more core exercises to make up for it--I row and have begun strength training in the last couple of weeks.

Did you lose a noticeable amount of muscle along with your weight? Or am I imagining it?

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    You should always do some strength training along with weight loss to help prevent muscle loss. A muscular look comes from low body fat percentage though. So I am not sure how your stomach looked more muscular 27 pounds ago.....So I would guess it is more of your imagination. But definitely keep strength training!
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    You can't avoid losing muscle as well, but a small enough calorie deficit coupled with enough protein and strength training will minimise the loss.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    According to the measurements taken at the nutritionist's office, I barely lost any muscle. This has to do with three things: primarily, genetics; and secondarily, lifting weights and high protein intake. I weigh 120 and my lean body weight is 89, same as it was prior to the fat loss. That said, this post is about you and not me, so let me say don't despair. When you are done losing fat you can regain muscle by lifting heavy and making sure you get plenty of protein. :) It will take time but it works.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    And for your abs I highly recommend planks! They have done more good for me than any number of crunches.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    And for your abs I highly recommend planks! They have done more good for me than any number of crunches.

I just tried those last week. Will be doing them again tonight. Yikes, I was shaking!!! It'll be cool to build up my time in that position.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    You should always do some strength training along with weight loss to help prevent muscle loss. A muscular look comes from low body fat percentage though. So I am not sure how your stomach looked more muscular 27 pounds ago.....So I would guess it is more of your imagination. But definitely keep strength training!

It feels less muscular/hard. But last night I noticed it felt much flabbier than it did. But I also stopped volunteering at an organization where I did a lot of lifting boxes of food, etc and have pretty much just been doing cardio for exercise.

And yeah, I shake with planks too--can't wait to build up my time/reps! I also eat a lot more protein than I once did.

Thanks everyone who responded!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost much at all. I'd say I've lost some in my arms a bit, but this was due to decreased weight in the gym because of tendonitis.

eat proper protein, lift heavy 3-4x a week, eat at a reasonable deficit. Doing ab work isn't going to prevent you from losing muscle. I don't even do ab work anymore, it gets worked from my other compound lifts.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

It feels less muscular/hard. But last night I noticed it felt much flabbier than it did. But I also stopped volunteering at an organization where I did a lot of lifting boxes of food, etc and have pretty much just been doing cardio for exercise.

And yeah, I shake with planks too--can't wait to build up my time/reps! I also eat a lot more protein than I once did.

Thanks everyone who responded!
    There you go, this is your reason. Start lifting heavy (again), compound lifts, enough protein.
  • Sydking
    Sydking Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Ive lost over 30 pounds, getting more shredded as i go.

Key is to lift heavy from day 1 and keep the protein high