Weight Loss & Acne

Options
For some strange reason, when I moved to Maryland two years ago, my face suddenly broke out with pretty annoying acne. I was wondering if anyone who has lost weight, had a problem with acne before their weight loss and then once they lost the weight, their acne went away?

Replies

• acmanna
    acmanna Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It could also be the weather/climate change. I moved from Louisiana to Germany and it has caused me some problems. Make sure to have a good skin routine. Also losing weight seems to help but not always...and make sure you are drinking plenty of water.
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I was wondering about that too. I did see a dermatologist and he prescribed me some medication, however I was allergic to it and now have to wait a month to see him again. Being overweight and having acne is like the worst!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    It's more than likely a climate change issue. I'm slimmer and I still have acne. Acne is mostly about hormones, so stress can aggravate it as well as periods and shifts in body chemistry. I never had bad acne until I was 25. :-(
  • turtlez23
    Options
    Yeah! When I turned 24, that is when it got really bad! People think it's because I eat unhealthy, but I have been eating really good for the past month and I have saw no change!
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,624 Member
    Options
    I'm going to guess it was either climate or water change. Food does not change my skin in any way. I had terrible acne (like 50+ zits at a time at its worst) a few years ago, and at that time I was also "eating clean." My skin freaked out with changes in skincare routine, and then I started picking, and then that just made things worse. I wound up clearing mine up by discontinuing the use of all skincare products. for a long while I either just got my face wet when I'd shower or I'd wipe my face with a washcloth a few times a week. Now I get my face wet in the shower and remove makeup with oil and a cotton pad, pat on more oil to moisturize. If I use a washcloth, pick at my skin, or use skincare products I break out.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Could be the climate. Could be weight loss. Could be stress. Could be what you eat. Could be your makeup. Etc, etc, etc.

Every body and skin is different, however I myself and a large percentage of my friends have noticed that when we eat cleaner our complexion is better. If I have a bad weekend my face will breakout that week. It takes a bit for it to clear back up, but it does go clear every time I stop eating junk (high processed foods). So my first question would be for you to define what "eating really good" means. It also may take a few weeks for your body to finish processing all the chemical and additives in the food you used to eat. It's not an overnight thing unfortunately.

Best of luck!
  • turtlez23
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • CharleneMarie723
    CharleneMarie723 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Mine is much better when I eat healthier. Sometimes excessive sweat causes the opposite though. I occasionally treat myself to some MSG filled Chinese food from the cockroach breeder down the block. My forehead is an oil slick the next morning.
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    My skin has been appalling since I was 13, and I tried everything, antibiotics, creams, proactive etc etc. What has finally worked is a hormone balancing herbal supplement (chaste tree extract) and a clarisonic. The clarisonic works wonders with my skin provided that I use it consistently. Usually my breakouts are caused by skimping on one or the other.
  • stellamozzarrella
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I'm going to guess it was either climate or water change. Food does not change my skin in any way. I had terrible acne (like 50+ zits at a time at its worst) a few years ago, and at that time I was also "eating clean." My skin freaked out with changes in skincare routine, and then I started picking, and then that just made things worse. I wound up clearing mine up by discontinuing the use of all skincare products. for a long while I either just got my face wet when I'd shower or I'd wipe my face with a washcloth a few times a week. Now I get my face wet in the shower and remove makeup with oil and a cotton pad, pat on more oil to moisturize. If I use a washcloth, pick at my skin, or use skincare products I break out.

This. Discontinuing skincare products was the best thing I ever did for my skin. If I need to remove makeup, I use rosewater and a cotton pad. My skin has cleared up like a dream.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Stress and hormones, along with diet play into mine.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and I've been breaking out more than I did when I was a teenager since I was in my late 40's. I have the best results with my skin since I stopped using regular skin care products and switched to oil cleansing. Another important thing I do is to make sure to frequently change my pillow case and to always use fresh towels/face cloths.