Exercise during your monthly? (for us girls)

Options
2»

Replies

• mariposa224
    mariposa224 Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I'm with the others who've said "treat it like any other day." I've found that it really does help with cramps as well. I remember that on one of my yoga DVDs there was a warning about doing "inverted poses" while menstruating... So when I did yoga & it was TOM, I didn't do anything that had me completely upside down. Other than that, carry on as usual. :smile:
  • ATOLLIT
    ATOLLIT Posts: 149
    Options
    There is absolutely no reason not to exercise. Personally I don't go swimming when I get my period (because it makes me feel weird, not because there's any problem with it!), but I generally prefer running to swimming anyway, so that's not exactly a big deal.

All the endorphins released in exercise make me feel more awake and less b*tchy, and I'm much less crampy while I'm moving, even if it's a walk to the kitchen to make tea, than when I'm sat on my butt.

If it's more painful in terms of muscle stiffness etc then I put that down to the fact I workout more/harder than usual as it makes me feel better, so it makes sense that I ache more the next day. If it's too bad, I have a day off.

But then, I don't have a strict workout schedule anyway, if I really don't feel like exercising due to illness, muscle stiffness, extreme tiredness, whatever, then I don't do it, and make up for it on another day instead.
  • sweetNsassy2584
    sweetNsassy2584 Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    No excuses.. I go all out.
  • elektradarling
    elektradarling Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise during menstruation? How hard?

Is it recommended not to do strenuous exercise during?

Do you find exercising during menstruation to be more painful?

Does it throw your cycle off?

I expect its different for every single girl, for example some months I get alot of pain, others I get really tired, get backaches etc.....I think it depends on how you are feeling each time.

Some people get it worse than others, I have found as I've got older(32) and also stopped taking any contraception drugs I'm extremely regular but also they are getting worse as I get older so I feel like crap alot of the time!

A nice walk is what I'd recommend if you are unsure about going too mad :)
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    I do nothing different
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    I was trying to think of something silly and snarky to say, but for real, a day during that time of the month is like any other day + some extra toiletries.

If your period is actually impacting your life and activities, talk to your doctor.
  • _chiaroscuro
    _chiaroscuro Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My energy is much lower but I power through anyway. It helps.
  • conniemaxwell5
    conniemaxwell5 Posts: 943 Member
    Options
    Do you exercise during menstruation? How hard?

Is it recommended not to do strenuous exercise during?

Do you find exercising during menstruation to be more painful?

Does it throw your cycle off?

I exercise those days just like any other - cardio and strength. I just refuse to let anything my body does to me keep me from my goals. There are no recommendations to stay away from any kind of exercise during your period. It isn't any more painful and doesn't cause any side effects. Some very athletic women do experience less frequent or much lower flow during their TOM but for those of us who are exercising moderately, there will be little or no change.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    yup, I don't use much as an excuse to skip working out. Right now I'm 36 weeks pregnant and on bedrest and you better believe I'm using bands to stay limber and doing upper body stuff while sitting.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Unless im dying with cramps and unable to move

I hit it like a whippit

Moody enough, the exercise helps keep me sane and everyone around me safe, although thai boxing on your bad week mwahaha
  • quiltlovinlisa
    quiltlovinlisa Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    I didn't for a long time, but I've had a medical condition that caused excessive bleeding (and extreme anemia). Three months after a procedure and I can exercise again during that time of the month. It's wonderful and feels so good.

If you're in a situation like I was, and due to excessive cramping, pain that you can't medicate yourself through or bleeding so bad you don't/cant leave the house because of the constant embarrassment, then go see your doctor. If everything is as it's suppose to be, there's absolutely no reason to not exercise.
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything differently on shark week.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I don't know what's going on with other people - but I see absolutely no reason to do anything any different during that time than any other.
  • zaftiggirl
    zaftiggirl Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    It's great to exercise during - I have *heard* that certain elevated hormones make you burn up to 30% more fat during PMS/mensies weeks if you DO work out, and that getting your blood flowing throughout your body can help you get rid of toxins especially during that TOM.

If you can't because of heavy flow, try a diva cup! :)