I am addicted to sugar.

Options
Sometimes I just want to eat a large bag of chocolate candies. Does anybody else ever have this problem? (Don't worry I didn't do this). I'm just dreaming. And I'm hypoglycemic...(l.b.sugar.)...so I crave sugar like crazy. How can I stop my sugar cravings?

Replies

• Jlohmann47
    Options
    Best advice I can give is to try and eat small meal instead or even things like peanut butter & jelly or any type of nuts. This will fill you up and keep you full longer instead of eating through a whole bag of chocolate. Also, find quick protein based recipes to make things such as protein balls or protein desserts if you're craving something that appetizing. Helped me out a lot when I was craving sugary things.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,025 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Restrict your consumption of refined sugar to only consuming sugar, no other ingredient, right from the sugar bowl. It's the first step in licking the sugar habit.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Pure cocoa powder is mostly fiber, actually. If you do sugar substitutes, start from there. Try a simple hot chocolate made by tossing these in the blender real quick; 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 2 cups hot water (I get really hot water from my coffee maker), 8-ish packs of Stevia or other sweetener (more or less to taste, you might want more since I like mine darkish), a tablespoon of non-dairy coffee creamer, and a dash of salt. Only 70 calories there, all carbs but most of them fiber.
  • blktngldhrt
    blktngldhrt Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    jennidee12 wrote: »
    Sometimes I just want to eat a large bag of chocolate candies. Does anybody else ever have this problem? (Don't worry I didn't do this). I'm just dreaming. And I'm hypoglycemic...(l.b.sugar.)...so I crave sugar like crazy. How can I stop my sugar cravings?

I'm pretty sure all hypoglycemics are 'addicted' to sugar. Some of non-hypoglycemics will have trouble understanding this phrase and will probably come in with their "you can't be addicted to sugar" comments.

I am hypoglycemic. I was diagnosed almost 12 years ago. I produce too much insulin when carbohydrates are introduced to my body. my blood glucose drops at a ridiculously fast rate and I feel like crap leaving me wanting, needing, craving more carbohydrates. Then, if I eat the carbs..sugar..I immediately feel better (because my blood glucose returns to normal levels) and the cycle happens all over again. It sucks.

One of the only things that has really helped and killed my want for sugar is going low carb. Low glycemic foods and small meals a day sort of helped but I was still craving candy Hardcore.. My blood glucose levels were still dropping and I still felt like crap. Introducing more fat into my diet and lowering the amount of carbs made a tremendous difference. I'm at a keto level of low carbs. That and acarbose (a prescription carb blocker) have worked for me.

That said..it all depends on you and your messed up pancreas. Mine overreacts to stupidly low levels of carbohydrates. Yours might not be as deranged and you might be able to eat more. Play with your macros until you find the right amount for you..what makes you feel good..and what gets rid of your cravings.
  • blueakama
    blueakama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    There are a few quit sugar books out there. The one I've read is "I Quit Sugar" https://iquitsugar.com/