Good home gym?

Options
Hello all, I am not a big fan of actually going to the gym, typically because it is very busy around here, I hate waiting around and having to jump on a machine before someone else and all that. I typically run every day, and have some room in my house and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for what I can do for a home gym setup?

Replies

• redfisher1974
    redfisher1974 Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    300 lbs of Olympic weights, Olympic 7 foot bar, Good Bench, Floor mats and some dumbbells up to 50 lbs, chin up bar...Thats a good start!
  • Killmenext
    Killmenext Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Hmm... so basically just a bench press setup and free weights?
  • SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Elliptical, spin bike, bodylastics, just to add to the above.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'd begin with investing in a power rack and weight plates. That'd be an excellent start.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Something like this. You might find a decent used one on craigslist. You could even build the cage yourself to save on costs, if you're handy like that.

th?id=HN.608003091300945422&pid=1.7
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Killmenext wrote: »
    Hmm... so basically just a bench press setup and free weights?

What else do you really need?
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    300 lbs of Olympic weights, Olympic 7 foot bar, Good Bench, Floor mats and some dumbbells up to 50 lbs, chin up bar...Thats a good start!

This, plus a rack. If you're working out by yourself, get a power rack/cage.

Something fun for cardio. Bike, elliptical, row machine, jump rope, TV/DVD for videos, ... there are a million options.
  • Killmenext
    Options
    I honestly much prefer running out on the street for cardio, I do a minimum of 2.5 miles every day. Have been doing that for a few months, and it is what has caused me to lose all my weight. Need to get some muscle in there now, lol.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Something like this. You might find a decent used one on craigslist. You could even build the cage yourself to save on costs, if you're handy like that.

th?id=HN.608003091300945422&pid=1.7

^^^Something like this would be a great start. I would also want some bumper plates and a platform...as well as a good range of dumbbells. I generally opt to do my cardio outside on my bike or run, but if I was doing a home gym I would at least get an indoor trainer for my bike...I'm actually borrowing one right now from a friend and might get one anyway for the winter.

• Killmenext
    Options
    I live in Tampa, Florida luckily, so I can run outside year round, minus 2-3 days when it is cold, lol.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Power rack, barbell, olympic plates, dumbell handles for olympic plates, bench, floor mat. That's the basics.
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This is the setup I just put together for myself. Was on a bit of a budget but I am happy with it.

Got this rack because of the reviews and price. It is pretty tight squatting inside but doable. It has a high and low cable pull that actually works really well.

Valor DB-7 Power rack

Adjustable bench. It does seems to be a little higher than the benches at the gym but the back and seat adjusts so its perfect for dumbbell work.

Marcy Bench

Was going to go with the Bowflex Selectech for dumbbells but these were a little cheaper and came with a stand. They also have big flat ends so the dont dig into your leg while you are setting up.

Weider PowerSwitch Adjustable Dumbbells

Got my Olympic bar and weights on Craigslist. Full set of plates plus two 45 bumpers. Will need to get a couple more 45s soon for dead lifts.

P1010507500x357_zps1bc10fbb.jpg
  • markdragon
    markdragon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I built these to do Stronglifts. They have been excellent.

http://homemadestrength.blogspot.com.au/2011/04/more-than-just-squat-stands.html
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    The easiest home gym setup is a few kettlebells, a pull up bar + olympic rings and a sandbag or two.

If you want to do free weights, then what LeadingMuscle and others are suggesting is the best option.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Get a power rack and adjustable bench. If the power rack has a cable pull attachment that's a big plus.

You'll be able to safely do big compound lifts inside the power rack (bench, squat, etc).

And obviously a bar and free weights.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    The easiest home setup is your own body. Doesn't cost a cent.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Depends on your goals, how much you're willing to invest, and how much room you have to work with. Address those 3 questions and we can give you more meaningful advice.

Without specifics, I'd agree with many of the others. Start with some sort of cage/rack, an olympic barbell, and enough plates to cover the big lifts. After that, I'd add a dip/pull-up station, gymnastic rings, and dumbbells as the final piece.
  • Killmenext
    Options
    I very much appreciate the info, looks like the cage / rack with a good bench, bar, and some dumbbells is the way to go. I will see if I can source some out this weekend!
  • Killmenext
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I am thinking of getting this. Its $100 for all of it, but paying $150 to have it delivered, let me know what you guys think before I pay for it!

sgZxosG.jpg

2ZAHzLV.jpg
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I can't quite tell from the picture, but I think this is a Smith machine.

I would not recommend a Smith machine. An ordinary rack/cage is much better.