Baileys - Irish Cream

Options
Train4Foodz
Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
Ok guys, time for some serious assistance from the awesome folks of MFP!! (I hope lol)

Around this time, I am extremely tempted to blow a whole bunch of kcals on a few nights in with Baileys over Xmas, although I know I'm never gonna find a 'healthy, macro friendly' alternative (it is alcahol after all and made of cream of all things)..
I would feel somewhat more comfortable if I were able to find a recipe or even a store bought version that wasn't just a killer kcal cocktail..

Anybody got any suggestions?

This is one of my favourite drinks, I rarely drink anyway but.. I like the idea of being able to find a healthy twist!!

Hitting google too but.. figured I'd ask you guys!!!!

Replies

• fearlessleader104
    fearlessleader104 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Irish car bombs. Drop your bailey's in Guinness, will fill you up faster
  • Train4Foodz
    Options
    Just found this one here- http://www.allergyfreealaska.com/2012/12/30/dairy-free-irish-cream-liqueur-refined-sugar-free/ -

There are many ways to enjoy this recipe. You can use it as a coffee creamer, in baked goods, in other alcoholic drinks, or simply enjoy it “over the rocks!” You decide!

Even though coconut milk is a main ingredient in this recipe, I think many of you will appreciate it does not have a distinct coconutty flavor.

Diary Free Irish Cream Liqueur (refined sugar free & vegan)
    Yields about 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 cups

14 ounces canned coconut milk (full fat)
    1/2 cup palm sugar
    1/2 cup strong brewed coffee, cooled to room temperature
    1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk or coconut milk beverage
    2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon almond extract
    1/2-1 cup Jameson Irish whiskey (I use 3/4 cup)

1.In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the coconut milk with the palm sugar and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and gently simmer the mixture for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and cool for at least an hour.
    2.Place the saucepan contents in a blender along with the coffee, almond milk, cocoa, vanilla and almond extract. Blend until smooth.
    3.Stir in the Irish whiskey to taste and refrigerate overnight or until very cold before serving. Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Use within 4-5 days.
    Megan’s Recipe Notes:
    As the Irish Cream sits in the refrigerator, the cream will separate from the whiskey. Just give it a quick stir before you pour!

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    So... What makes that better than Baileys? The fact that it's dairy free? What's wrong with dairy? Seems like it would be about the same cals.
  • Train4Foodz
    Options
    tigersword wrote: »
    So... What makes that better than Baileys? The fact that it's dairy free? What's wrong with dairy? Seems like it would be about the same cals.

It looks a little more adaptable.. It's a start... Hey.. don;t kill the moment.. I'm reaching out on a limb here :p