How to keep off weight during the holiday season

Options
I just met my 2014 goal today, although I still have five pounds left to lose. How do I keep myself from putting weight back on during December?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You continue to do what you did to meet your goals.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options

this. It's a pretty "duh" answer though, I'm not sure OP why you lack the knowledge to maintain or continue losing if you've been successfully doing either.
  • brightresolve
    brightresolve Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options

^This! You can do it, December is just another month and think how GREAT it will feel not to face Jan 1 with MORE than 5 lbs left to lose -- !!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    keep logging

if you want to let loose a little, set your goals to maintenance and up your activity

but if you keep logging you'll be OK

the holiday isn't just about food you know, it's also about shiny things and presents :grinning: (OK so some people will say friends and family, but really it's mainly about the shiny :wink:)
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    As long as you pay attention to what you eat between new year and christmas, you can eat pretty much anything between christmas and new year without any worries.

But if you want some binge-eating guidelines, then the number one thing is to lay down the sweets and go for the meats. Protein will fill you up and leave you satisfied for far longer than anything else, it takes most energy to process (so protein has the lowest net calories per gram of all macronutrients) and there is no metabolic pathway to store it directly as fat.

All in all, focus on enjoying the holidays and try not to obsess about what you eat. Try to squeeze in an extra 15 minutes of walking every day, that will do wonders in offsetting some of the extra calories that might be heading your way during christmas.
  • higgins8283801
    higgins8283801 Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I moderate myself; but don't restrict myself.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    self control
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options

^^^^^This!

If you need additional motivation, whip out some old photos of yourself or pull out that clothing item that is too big now but fit snugly this time last year.
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    self control

^^^^^This too!

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    keep logging

if you want to let loose a little, set your goals to maintenance and up your activity

the holiday isn't just about food you know, it's also about shiny things and presents :grinning: (OK so some people will say friends and family, but really it's mainly about the shiny :wink:)

Really? And here I thought it was about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. Shows how little I know.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Eat mistletoe.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    keep logging

Really? And here I thought it was about celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. Shows how little I know.

nope...it's about the shiny

...rambles on about Christians co-opting popular pagan dates of celebration...
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I second what Zipa78 said. I am in the same boat as you are.

You have lost quite a bit already. You have already been doing it, your self awareness is already there!

• williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    You can do it! Like everyone said, just keep doing what you're doing. I'm at the "last 5 pounds" area, too. Would I like to actually lose a little this month? Sure. But if it's a maintenance month, that a win, too. I'm not going to make myself (and everyone else around me) miserable by needlessly avoiding social situations with food. I'm going to enjoy with modest portions, log it best I can, and revel in the festivities and catch up with friends and relatives I don't get to see very often.