How to lose weight without starving!

Options
Hello all,

I wanted some advice I am now back on track with this whole losing weight thing. I calculated I need to consume 1400 calories a day. I am dying! I am hungry all the time!! It feels like I am constantly starving. It's terrible, then I am tired, sluggish, have no energy to eat and then I want to eat a whole load of stuff/crap. Please could you guys help? I am serious about losing some weight.

Many Thanks,

KrysiaCA

Replies

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    It will help the others if you give your details so they cna check.
    Age, height weight and target weight.
    Also open your diary so we know what you are eating and will probably make more sense as to why you are so hungry.

An effective diet should eliminate the feeling of hunger.
    You probably need to eat more fruit, veg, complex carbs and lean protein. There are various strategies, but the above information would help people give you better answers.

Also I wouldnt discount the extra calories you can earn yourself if you exercise enough as they cna come in very handy.
  • pineapple_jojo
    pineapple_jojo Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Exercise! Earn more calories plus it gives you more energy :) even a couple of 15 minute walks during the day will help.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    Have you set a too aggressive goal?
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Change your goal to one half pound a week.
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Different foods have different satiety values. Usually high protein and complex carbs will keep you fuller for longer. Low calorie density food like leafy greens and veg help keep you full as you can have massive amounts of them for relatively few calories. Drinking lots of water throughout the day can also make you feel fuller.
  • lemonsurprise
    lemonsurprise Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I don't think 1,400 sounds too aggressive. I went from eating around 5000 calories a day right down to 1,200 and although it was a huge change, I coped fine.
    For me it was all about planning meals and getting the most from them. I ate a load of veg on the days that I wanted big meals, and I'm talking huge. No person could feel hungry after a mountain of vegetable casserole.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Eat more vegetables and avoid drinking your calories.
  • CatLady1309
    Options
    My goal is 1400 a day & I find I cope well.Planning my meals really helps :) I always put plenty of vegetables on my plate for dinner.Brown & wholemeal bread's help too when i fancy a sandwich:)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • Wondertje
    Wondertje Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I can recommend potatoes and veggies in the oven for dinner, it's light on the calories and is so filling 'cause you can eat quite a lot of it. Basically just chop up:

Potatoes
    Carrots
    Parsnip
    Leek
    Rutabaga
    Onion
    Garlic

On with some olive oil, salt, pepper and some spice to your liking if you wish.

The recipe I've build has a total of 93 calories / 100g, and I usually eat 200g for a dinner serving with some lean protein to it or if it's Friday - a nice juicy steak, haha.

Really, it's not difficult to stay satiated on fewer calories - one must simply learn what to eat/drink in order to do so. Another example is that I almost only drink water nowadays, means I don't get any of my calories from liquids (except from 100kcal/day from tea) which leaves more food for me to eat!

Good luck :smile:
  • ali2407
    ali2407 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You just to find foods to substitute which have lower calories so you can eat more to make you full.
    For example - previously i would eat something like steak and chips with a small amount of veg. I found that this would use up most of the calories for the day and therefore i couldn't eat much else.
    I have changed this to something like cod fillet, mushrooms, beansprouts and cabbage. This gives me a big plate of food for only around 250 calories - meaning that i can eat more for the rest of the day and I'm not hungry.
    Substitution of high calorie food with low calorie food is key.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
  • Whiskeytub
    Whiskeytub Posts: 96 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've found adding a fried egg on top of whatever I'm having makes me quite a bit more full while only adding about 70-90 calories (depending on what size egg and how much oil/butter you use).

Also, eat more fish and vegetables. I can stuff myself silly on vegetables and still have calories to spare. What works for me is making meals a balance of vegetables as filler, protein to make it last, and a small amount of grainy carbs (like polenta, oats, or bread) for the quick energy.

And excersize. I get real cranky when I actually eat 1400 calories, and there's very little room for snacking. Walk, run, cycle - even 200 more calories can make the difference between feeling satisfied or going to bed hungry and miserable.

You will not be able to maintain your weight loss if your diet makes you tired and depressed. There's little point in it, either. Isn't the point of weight loss to feel better? You will soon learn which foods have the most bang for their buck. Keep at it.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I am more comfortable on fewer calories under a couple of conditions: A higher fat diet, moderate protein, and LOTS of vegetables, leave off the grains.

As examples: Salads with some high fat component like full fat dressing, bacon or cheese. Bacon and eggs (my favorite breakfast in the world), Strawberries and whipped cream, or an apple and cheddar cheese or peanut butter for a snack (when I snack. I don't much), olive oil drizzled on veggies before roasting. Hamburger with a slice of cheese and no bun, with the rest of the plate taken up with veggies with a pat of butter. Half a plate of broccoli has few calories, but you will get full.

I'm not fanatic about it, but in general, that's what I do and am comfortable with.
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Its not wrong to feel hungry. Your body is adjusting to less, stick with it and give it time. Stomach needs time to shrink and your brain becomes accommodated to less. In the meantime, consider more water. A lot more. Not only does it aid in weight-loss but dehydration is the number 1 reason people overeat. They think their hungry but in reality they are thirsty. Stop snacking. NO reason for it. I work out twice as much as the average person since I'm in the military and I'm constantly on the move in my job. I PT 2x times a day (run, calisthenics, lifting). Its a little pain now for a long term goal. The feeling won't last past a week if you don't cheat.
  • Revonue
    Revonue Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Things that have low calories in a lot of bulk, like vegetables. I also find that protein keeps me very full.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    And the thing about it not being wrong to feel hungry? True. We're sold the idea that we should never feel hungry. That's a marketing ploy to SELL SNACKS (Cheap to make, easy to eat, high markup). It's TOTALLY APPROPRIATE to feel hungry before a meal.
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    1400 calories is probably fine - you might go up to 1500, but not necessary.

Drink enough water. Don't eat too fast. It take 20 minutes for your stomach to realize it's eaten enough.

And as someone says, you're supposed to feel hungry when it comes to a mealtime. If you've never been hungry before, you've been eating too much too often.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    You really need their stats and a look at their diary to see why its happening. Not really a fan of hunger myself and have avoided it.
    And as someone says, you're supposed to feel hungry when it comes to a mealtime. If you've never been hungry before, you've been eating too much too often.

Depends what you mean by hungry. Looking forward to a meal ok, feeling as though you are starving and constantly deprives not ok and not good. Just because you arent raveous downt mean you have been eating too much.

• Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    - Exercise moderately but often and eat back the calories
    - Keep the sugar down
    - Try to eat as much fibre as possible
    - Drink loads of water