Burning calories and still not losing weight

Options
I am 23 years old and weigh 241lbs. I have been trying to lose weight for the past 2 weeks now but nothing is coming off? I dont understand what I am doing wrong- I eat or try to eat 1687 calories a day and so far I have been burning between 500-700 cal on the treadmill walking on average 3.5 or 4.0 at 45-60min a day in the morning before I even eat. I would like to get down to 220 in the next 5vwks. Can someone please explain to me what I am doing wrong? My boyfriend has been working out with me and he has already lost 11 pounds! Please reply with seriousness. Thanks

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    My guess is your calculations/estimates are off. Either 1687 is too high for you, or you aren't actually eating 1687. Or both.
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Try some weights. Nothing happens to me if I only walk, I did have good result at first with walk at home with Leslie Sansone (sp?) but quickly progressed. I would also try eating a bit more because eating more alows muscle development, which will shape your body creating a more compact look even if weight isn't coming off. Eating more also gives you energy to do to more intense exercises.
  • shana1925
    shana1925 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Well I got 1687 by multiplying my weight times 7.....but sometimes i dont actually eat 1687. Is it a must to do so? Or should I be eating more calories? 1687 was my amount given to lose weight
  • dupaboo
    dupaboo Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    How did you come up with 1687 - is that your BMR? Does that include calories you eat back from your exercise? Two weeks isn't very long, so perhaps give it another few weeks. If still no progress then cut 100 cals and see if that helps, but you need to be patient.
  • kgoodman0108
    kgoodman0108 Posts: 158
    Options
    You should be losing weight at 1687 calories per day. Are you measuring/weighing your food? You might be consuming more than you think. If you are accurately tracking your food, you might want to schedule an appointment with your doctor.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Well I got 1687 by multiplying my weight times 7.....but sometimes i dont actually eat 1687. Is it a must to do so? Or should I be eating more calories? 1687 was my amount given to lose weight

You shouldn't be eating more... weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, and you won't get into a deficit by eating more.
  • Lbf321
    Lbf321 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I would head over to scoobysworkshop.com and try that calorie calculator. Lots of people have great results using it if you use accurate info.
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    You should be losing weight at 1687 calories per day. Are you measuring/weighing your food? You might be consuming more than you think. If you are accurately tracking your food, you might want to schedule an appointment with your doctor.

Agreed.

Chances are your estimates are off. If they aren't, something else is at play here that we probably won't be able to nail down.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    At 241 lbs and eating 1600 or less a day you should be losing. I'd suggest a food scale and measuring cups for all your food to ensure you really are only eating that much and remember everything that goes in your mouth counts, beverages, tastes of food, candy, cream in coffee, etc.
  • shana1925
    Options
    The 1687 doesnt include the calories I eat back from exercise. And I usually dont measure. I eat meat baked boneless skinless chicken breast 2 times a week and they are individually wrapped. And I eat baked fish salmon mostly 2 times a week which are also individually wrapped.
  • viragoeap
    viragoeap Posts: 107
    Options
    You mention that you haven't lost any weight, but what about measurements? You may be building muscle which per pound in weight is smaller in mass than fat!
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    1687 was most likely a number given to you assuming you work out, walking is not really a workout unless you are really working up a sweat and you heart is pounding, instead of just walking try throwing a ten lb backpack on and hike through the woods and hilly terrain. Also how tall are you? and how active are you during the day?
  • shana1925
    Options
    @sherrimiller12 I do sweat a lot on the treadmill sometimes its hard to keep up with 4.0 and my incline is always at 2. I havent measured my waist and other things and I am 5'7 and if I am building muscle when will I actually start to lose the weight or at least see that im losing on a scale?
  • shana1925
    Options
    Also I am a CNA so im always on my feet if that helps
  • DanielM71
    DanielM71 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Are you eating 1700 calories plus whatever the treadmill says you burned? I don't believe any of the "calories burned" numbers spit out by exercise equipment, or the ones reported by myfitnesspal database. I definitely don't believe 700 calories burned by walking on a treadmill for an hour. If you're aiming for around 1700 calories, and then eating an additional 500-700 because the treadmill told you burned that much, then you're probably eating way too much to lose weight.
  • dietstokes
    dietstokes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I would do a few things. 1. Make sure you a re drinking enough water 2. If you aren't already, make sure you are tracking your sodium 3. Even though things come individually wrapped, the calorie count is still mostly likely off. Get a food scale and measuring cups/spoons and use them 4. Lift weights.

I am 5'4 and 146 and I lose weight on 1600 calories when I am working out. But I also make sure I am measuring everything. Good luck.
  • fietsvrouw
    fietsvrouw Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I would give it another couple of weeks. It is not uncommon to not see a change in your weight right away, and that does not necessarily mean your counts are off. (Be aware that the calorie counts for exercise on here are generally a bit high). I didn't see any change on the scale at all for the first three weeks and am dropping 2 or more pounds a week now on the same regimen. That can be because you are gaining muscle and it is offsetting fat loss (especially if you have been inactive and are now exercising regularly). It can be that you are not hydrating enough and are storing water, etc. Double check your numbers but don't assume they are wrong. Track your calories in and out carefully. Myfitnesspal should give you an estimated BMR and what you should be eating - I would stick with that and not drop your calories until you have given your regimen a month.
  • nadz6012
    nadz6012 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    The 1687 doesnt include the calories I eat back from exercise. And I usually dont measure. I eat meat baked boneless skinless chicken breast 2 times a week and they are individually wrapped. And I eat baked fish salmon mostly 2 times a week which are also individually wrapped.

You've really GOT to measure. The treadmill could be overestimating the amount of calories you burn and then you eyeball your eat-back portions? Asking for trouble...
  • lcfairbairn74
    lcfairbairn74 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Well I got 1687 by multiplying my weight times 7

Sorry? Is this how you decided on your calorie target? I don't understand this! What did MFP give you?
  • Kimaw65
    Kimaw65 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and weigh about 217. On the days I only do the treadmill I walk for 75 minutes at speeds anywhere from 3.0-3.5 mph and inclines anywhere from 0-4 and I only burn 538 calories. I think your calorie burn estimation is off and also measuring and weighing your food is a big YES. You might be surprised at how much you are actually over estimating on your food intake.

Don't give up though. Every little baby step in the right direction will lead you to where to you want to be in the long run. It's a journey not a race to see who can get there faster. As for your boyfriend losing weight faster than you, that's just the law of men v. women. Men always seem to lose the weight faster.