Body Beast - Questions

Options
I received my Body Beast DVD's in yesterday's mail and I am so excited to get started. But there is a lot of material to read and preparation for this program. I would love some advice from anyone who has done or is doing this program.

I am a 124 pound female (5'5") and my goal is to build lean muscle and shed body fat. I am currently at 31.5% BF. I would like to get that down to 19% or 20%. I have been lifting for about 5 weeks (my own routine using JeFit app) and started to see results this past week. By this I mean --> clothes are a bit looser and I feel a bit trimmer. No obvious "visible" muscle (still too much flab in the way undoubtedly) but I feel stronger and was able to increase the amount of weight I lift as of last week.

Starting a new program is scary and exciting all at once. My concern with Body Beast is whether I can realistically expect to reach my BF% goal as I build muscle taking into consideration the rather significant increase in daily calorie intake. I had been working with 1350 calories a day (almost always in deficit) and Body Beast calculates me at 1850 needed to Build.

I also wonder if anyone has data on how many calories (on average) is burned during the body beast workouts.

Any advice or insight is greatly appreciated.

-Cheryl

Replies

• bd208
    bd208 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Try going to facebook and posing your question here: BodyBeast4women, maybe they can give you the answers I could not....good luck!
  • cbills65
    cbills65 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Thank you, my friend. :)
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I can't really give you any advice as I don't feel I'm knowledgeable enough to do so, but I can tell you what I did. I just finished a round of BB a few weeks ago and loved it! I didn't over think anything and had already been eating at or around maintenance for awhile...so I just upped my intake a bit knowing my body would surely need the extras and started lifting. I shed only a few lbs but cut a bunch of inches, so I would say my results were great! Good luck to you and I'm sure others will have some sound advice for you!
  • cbills65
    Options
    Thanks, Keeta. That is encouraging! Congrats to you, by the way.

I'm far more interested in inches reduced than pounds on a scale. I'm curious, did you do all the supplements as well or just add in calories to accomodate the extra activity?
  • Keeta83
    Keeta83 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Thanks!

No, I've been taking my own Vit's and Min's for a long time and just stuck with them, as well as my protein shake. There are plenty of readily available supplements that you can get your hands on so I don't see the point in forking out so much $! IMO! Just make sure you are meeting your macros and you'll do splendid!!
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I just started BB yesterday, how do you figure out your macros, I'm so confused when people talk about macros :(
  • cbills65
    Options
    If you have the book, it is suggested that you initially split 25/25/50 (Protein/Fat/Carbs). I was confused about macros too. It seems to be the building blocks of our diet and how we spread our calories out will depend on what we are trying to accomplish OR if you need to tweek it for your own body type. Some folks can't handle that many carbs I guess.

The calories for the program is a formula in the book. It changes depending on the phase you are in.

Add me as a friend! I'd love to accompany you on your BB journey. Plus you can message me whenever you have questions or want to share your joys and pains. It's an awesome program but boy you FEEL IT!

I'm excited for you. Let me know if you have more questions. :smile:
  • cwjett
    cwjett Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    thanks cbills65! man I have only done 2 workouts and this morning I got interrupted and couldn't finish my leg workout but I sure do feel it, esp my chest and tris!! whew!
    the calorie calculator suggested I eat about 2300 calories which I think is crazy!! lol
  • mendoza7279
    Options
    I am currently waiting on my BB program. I am curious about the equipment needed during the workout. Any chance you could help me out? (Don't mean to de-rail the thread, just really needed some info!)
  • cbills65
    Options
    Mendoza, I'll help you out. Check your (inbox) messages in a few minutes.
  • michellersalo
    michellersalo Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I am on week 3 of BB... it's a great program even though I am not following the eating to a "T", I am still seeing some amazing changes!!! But I also do Insanity Max :30, PIYO and teach both INSANITY Live and PIYO Live classes. :)
  • 20Grit
    20Grit Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I have done Body beast for over a year, just recently started barbell lifting. I loved the program and yes you will build muscle if you push yourself to the limit on your weights. I cannot imagine you being 124lb and still seeing flab? However muscle is hard to build and you will have to eat more than 1350 - You should definitely go with 1800-1900 minimum.
  • amccoll83
    amccoll83 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    My girlfriend does body beast. She's on her 5th round right now. I asked her to message you :)