How to get One Strict Pull-Ups

Options
2»

Replies

• HealthyFit23
    HealthyFit23 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    ring rows, jumping pull ups - go down slow, band pull-ups, kipping pull-ups and then strick pull ups
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I don't see a whole lot of difference between bands and the machine other then the bands will give you less assistance as come to the top (which is nice) and the machine might put you in some what of a unnatural plane of motion.

Its still better then lat pull downs alone. you could do those for a life time and still not do a pull up IMO.

negatives is probably the best advice. the additional back work is good for your back and your grip but may or may not get you to a pull up goal faster.

in addition to the negatives I'd also do a few positives as far as you can... or only go down so far as you can still lift yourself up (if that makes sense). even if you can only struggle a fraction of an inch its going to lead to improvement. that is how I got there, negatives and positives an inch at a time.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »

because it's the least effect way to train your body- the mechanics and loading are not the same.

Anything where you are forced to do the ACTUAL movement is significantly better than the machine where you often are fudging and you don't have a feel for where you need to work.

Most people have rubbish form on them.
    Doing negatives
    lat pull downs
    inverted rows
    barbell rows
    dumbbell rows
    cable pulls
    person/chair/band assisted pull ups

^ these are all more transferable options than the assisted pull up machine.

The only time I think the machine is good is when you are doing a higher volume- and you can do SOME pull ups- and then need an assist as your workout goes on- its' easier to manipulate for self help.

I do think most machines suck, but the assisted pullup machine helped me so that's why I can't say it was bad. That's really the only thing I used until I could do the first pullup on my own.

After I got the first pullup, I started doing negatives. That helped a bit. But it wasn't until I started doing rows that I was able to knock out a lot of pullups with no problems.

I've noticed that rows have been the best thing to transfer over to my other main lifts so far though. Stronger back from rows has kept me stronger in my squat and bench as well.

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't see a whole lot of difference between bands and the machine other then the bands will give you less assistance as come to the top (which is nice) and the machine might put you in some what of a unnatural plane of motion.

Its still better then lat pull downs alone. you could do those for a life time and still not do a pull up IMO.

negatives is probably the best advice. the additional back work is good for your back and your grip but may or may not get you to a pull up goal faster.

in addition to the negatives I'd also do a few positives as far as you can... or only go down so far as you can still lift yourself up (if that makes sense). even if you can only struggle a fraction of an inch its going to lead to improvement. that is how I got there, negatives and positives an inch at a time.

you answered your own question.
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Eccentrics or negative pull ups - try to keep your slow lower at te bottom

The other thing that is helpful are lay shrugs from a dead hang. The first part of the strict pull is the hardest for most people. And lean back a little and look at the ceiling.

Advice from someone that can do two
  • andylllI
    andylllI Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Lat shrugs I meant. Autocorrect I hate you
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    It took me a year and a couple weeks, practicing with progressions 3-5x per week. I could do a handstand push up and a 300 pound deadlift before I could do a pull up so I know how real the struggle is! :'( I still have problems engaging my shoulders at the bottom of the pull after a couple of months of practicing with a real one or three. Some days I can do 5 and many days I can do zero. I've had a bunch of different trainers/coaches look at me and they can tell me sort of what's not engaging ( I do pull shoulders back, look up and try to lean back)... but I can't always make my body do it since it has no muscle memory of this move. I did negatives for the whole year, as well as lat pull downs, dumbbell rows, and barbell rows (I did a Texas Method style progression on those)...also pull ups off a box. I actually think the things that most helped me were 1) finally just hanging off the bar and pulling myself up a little bit more each day and 2)doing this circuit of shoulder-strengthening cable cross over exercises with special bungee cord like things that my weightlifting coaches had. It seems to engage all the small muscles. A lot of the issue can be not only strength but sort of getting your muscles to talk with one another, for lack of better terminology.

I think it's really important that if you are doing accessory work you set smaller sub goals like being able to increase your barbell row weights each month because it can take some people even longer than it took me.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I did my first pull up after several weeks of negatives and chin ups.