Raspberry ketone supplement implicated in woman's death

Options
http://www.examiner.com/article/cara-reynolds-raspberry-diet-pills-blamed-woman-s-death-family-wants-change

Cara Reynolds, a 24-year-old health worker, died from a heart attack after taking a large amount of Forza raspberry ketones - herbal slimming pills - and now her family is fighting for change. According to a Dec. 10 report from Yahoo!, Cara Reynolds bought Forza raspberry ketone supplements in February 2013 to help her lose a few pounds. But soon after taking her first dose, she went to her father with complaints about heart palpitations.

These weight loss pills emerged as an alternative and "easy" way to lose weight. However, most of these miracle products are not approved by trusted entities and may be hazardous to health. Cara's father told media outlets how his beloved daughter died after taking diet pills without a prescription. “She’d only taken the recommended amount of pills but was scared because her heart was going 10 to the dozen,” her father told The Daily Mail. “That’s when she said she wasn’t going to take them for weight loss any more — it had really worried her.”

Michael Reynolds, 55, a security officer who lives in the UK, is now asking them to remove those pills off the shelves. Cara Reynolds suffered a heart attack after taking dozens of raspberry ketone pills she had bought off Amazon. Surprisingly, each tablet contains more caffeine than four cans of Red Bull.

After splitting up with her fiance, Cara swallowed a large number of the tablets. According to The Inquisitr, she took so many raspberry ketone pills that 18,000 milligrams of caffeine, about that same as in 225 cans of Red Bull energy beverage, were found in her system. Medics tried to restart her heart more than 40 times, but were unable to revive her.

These so-called "miracle" diet pills are products that take advantage of the increase in obesity in the world and give a supposedly faster and more effective weight loss "solution" without seeing a health professional. This makes them very attractive products to the public so a lot of people get carried away and buy them.

The problem with these products is that they are often sold in supermarkets and don't require a prescription so anyone can easily buy them. And, as in the case of Cara Reynolds, they can have serious health consequences and even cause death. Her family has now launched a campaign to make stores like UK-based Boots and Holland and Barrett take the pills off their shelves, and to introduce age restrictions.

Replies

• xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Darwin strikes again.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    The article on Yahoo had other stories besides this one, which sounds like a suicide to me. You do not take a "large number" of a pill that caused you heart palpitations unintentionally.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Taking a large number of any kind of pills after splitting with an SO just screams bad idea.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt say ketones killed her.

I'd say overdosing on substances killed her.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    The equivalent of 225 red bulls. What a horrible suicide option.
  • yoovie
    Options
    she's gonna be one hyper ghost!
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    This is the Yahoo article, which also covers Logan Stiner's accidental death from a caffeinated weight loss supplement.

I consumed way too much caffeine once (four cups of coffee and two 12 or 16 oz mountain dews over the course of a morning) and was in pretty bad distress so I can't even imagine taking these supplements.
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

I agree with this.

But I also think that that crap doesn't belong on shelves.
  • yoovie
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »

I agree with this.

But I also think that that crap doesn't belong on shelves.

oh totally no doubt

• FeebRyan
    FeebRyan Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    If it hadn't been this she would have taken something else bless her.

Very sad but you can't ban a product people 1 in a million people don't know how to use it correctly
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    FeebRyan wrote: »
    If it hadn't been this she would have taken something else bless her.

Very sad but you can't ban a product people 1 in a million people don't know how to use it correctly

It's a crap product anyway.
    Anything Dr Oz hawks is.