Easy & Quick Breakfast and Lunch Ideas?

Options
Hi everyone! I am new here so I am sorry if there is already a thread for this.

So I work full time (8:30 A.M.- 5P.M.) and I have fallen into bad habits of getting drive thru breakfasts and lunches just out of sheer convinence. Plus it get's bad when the workers there know you by name and know your order. I am usually very short on time in the mornings as I have a lot to take care of before I leave and my commute is a nightmate and getting up any earlier isn't an option. Can anyone suggest some quick & easy breakfasts and lunches that I can throw together to take with me? Preferably anything that doesn't have seafood as my body can't tolerate most of it. Tuna is like the only thing I can eat without getting sick.

Replies

• MeowMix66
    MeowMix66 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I often make a dozen hardboiled eggs at the beginning of the week and buy some pre-sliced ham. 1 egg and 3 oz of sliced ham are around 180 calories, and I still feel satisfied enough, but could eat twice as much and still be within a decent calorie limit. If you have a little more time (to toast something instead of grab & go) I suggest a low calorie english muffin with either refried beans and a small amount of shredded cheddar or an english muffin with low-fat ricotta, a slice of tomato and drizzled with olive oil/pepper and then broiled.
  • yourradimradletshug
    Options
    I used to have a whole wheat english muffin with shredded cheddar and 2 thin slices of turkey. Was really good but just too time consuming. :( I may have to try the 2 english muffin ones you suggested this weekend though! :)
  • silverbeam22
    silverbeam22 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Prep the night before! :)
  • thingal12
    thingal12 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Can't help you with breakfast because I tend to not eat any myself, but in regards to lunch ideas:

Simple Salad: romaine lettuce, shredded carrots, dressing
    Guacamole & salsa with lentil chips
    Pre-made meals that were measured and calorie counted by serving, then frozen. That way, you know exactly how many calories a container of food is.. just grab it from the freezer and head out to work.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of a protein bar for breakfast; it's what I eat most days. I don't like to take the time to make breakfast and I don't want to do the fast food or donut thing. I keep the bars in my desk at work at eat one about an hour after I get to work in the morning.

I've seen several great recipes for egg/sausage breakfast muffins floating around here. You could probably do a search here or on Google and find lots of variations. It's basically an omelet that's baked in muffin cups. You can then grab one or two and go every morning.
  • yourradimradletshug
    Options
    My mom suggested the P3 things. It has like meat, cheese and nuts as an option for breakfast. Has anyone tried those?
  • SueInAz
    Options
    My mom suggested the P3 things. It has like meat, cheese and nuts as an option for breakfast. Has anyone tried those?

I bought some once when they were on sale super cheap and my son ate them. It's basically just cheese cubes, nuts and cubes of ham or turkey, I think. Cheaper to buy those things yourself and pre-package for yourself in Ziploc baggies if you'd like to go that way.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've seen some great make-ahead egg muffins posted here. Example:
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/254383078922643663/
    Freeze and bag them.

Also discovered on MFP and my new favourite breakfast, refrigerator oatmeal.
    http://www.pinterest.com/pin/361132463844936221/

If you are not a morning person, build your lunch the night before. I typically package leftovers from the night before for lunch the next day. I am rather fond of this Rubbermaid Lunchblox.

7P92-inuse-large.jpg
  • yourradimradletshug
    Options
    SueInAz wrote: »

I bought some once when they were on sale super cheap and my son ate them. It's basically just cheese cubes, nuts and cubes of ham or turkey, I think. Cheaper to buy those things yourself and pre-package for yourself in Ziploc baggies if you'd like to go that way.

I was just thinking of grabbing some to stash at work in case I forget to pre-pack. I need to get better about that. I guess after the gym tonight I'll have to stop at the store and get some stuff to make what y'all are suggesting!
  • SueInAz
    Options

I was just thinking of grabbing some to stash at work in case I forget to pre-pack. I need to get better about that. I guess after the gym tonight I'll have to stop at the store and get some stuff to make what y'all are suggesting!

Stashing for those days is one of the reasons I like the protein bars so much! I had leftover pie from a pie contest they held here at work yesterday afternoon (I had to miss the tasting and people were kind enough to save me a little so.....) for breakfast so lunch will probably be a protein bar. LOL

The only issue with those P3 packs is they need to be refrigerated (another reason I like the protein bars) so if you have access to a fridge, and you don't worry about your co-workers stealing your food, then go for it!
  • yourradimradletshug
    Options

Stashing for those days is one of the reasons I like the protein bars so much! I had leftover pie from a pie contest they held here at work yesterday afternoon (I had to miss the tasting and people were kind enough to save me a little so.....) for breakfast so lunch will probably be a protein bar. LOL

The only issue with those P3 packs is they need to be refrigerated (another reason I like the protein bars) so if you have access to a fridge, and you don't worry about your co-workers stealing your food, then go for it!

Fridge access: No Problem!
    Sticky Fingered Co-workers: Might be an issue.
    What kind of protein bars do you have? Most I have tried have been just dreadful. Lately I have been trying to be better. I have been bringing in my cup of OJ (instead of coffee) and a bag of mini-muffins. MUCH lower in calories than the stuff I was getting at Dunkin' Donuts!
  • SueInAz
    Options
    I have become addicted to the Atkins Peanut Butter Granola bars. Much tastier than many of the others out there, low sugar and I'm not a fan of chocolate in the morning. 210 calories, 15 grams of protein, 1 gram of sugar and about 3 grams of net carbs. I buy them in bulk at Sam's Club or in the 5 pack at Target or Wal-mart.
  • hbm616
    hbm616 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    You can make freezer egg sandwiches with a baked egg (lightly scramble 1 egg in a ramekin, backe at 375 for 10-12 minutes until egg is set), sliced deli meat or sausage, cheese and an english muffin. After the egg is baked and cooled, assemble the sandwich and wrap in plastic wrap and keep in the freezer. To reheat, unwrap plastic wrap and wrap sandwich in a paper towel. Microwave 1-2 minutes. Calories depend on what you add of course.
    Similar idea with freezer breakfast burritos. Scramble eggs with cheese, veggies, meat and even potatoes. Wrap with a whole wheat tortilla. Freeze and microwave in the morning.
  • ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    We've been getting Al Fresco brand chicken breakfast sausage patties and making homemade sausage and egg mcmuffins.
    • 1 English Muffin - 120 cals
    • 1 fried/poached/whatever egg - 70-90 cals depending on who you believe
    • 1 Al Fresco chicken sausage patty - 80 cals
    • 1 slice Kraft American cheese - 60 cals
    So 330-350 calories depending on which egg calorie count you use. Make a bunch, freeze 'em in ziplock bags, and it's a grab-and-go microwave breakfast. I suggest leaving the cheese off if you're going to freeze them. When ready to eat, nuke it, slap a slice of cheese on if desired, and roll on with your day.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I enjoy the Think Thin bars - the crunchy peanut butter ones are the best IMHO. You can find them at Target, Wegmans, Safeway, etc. They are 250-300 calories but 20+ grams of protein. I also love the Balance Bars dark chocolate coconut.

I often will make a breakfast the night before then bring it to work and reheat it - scrambled egg beaters with veggies and turkey sausage, oatmeal cooked with almond milk, even a homemade breakfast sandwich (lite English muffin with an egg and whatever else you might like)

Lunch - leftovers are my favorite this time of year - grilled chicken with some veggies, some sirloin and sweet potato with broccoli - whatever I made for dinner. Just make a little extra. Make a pot of soup and portion into single servings, add small salad or cut up veggies.

You can keep dry oatmeal proportioned in ziplock bags in your desk - maybe some dried fruit or nuts and some cinnamon - instant breakfast. I always have a box of balance bars and some 100 calorie almond packs along with tea and k-cups.
  • yourradimradletshug
    Options
    These are all great! Please keep them coming! I am making up a grocery list now!
  • Pandapotato
    Pandapotato Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I like the little packaged one-serving salad bowls at Safeway--and they recently added wraps! My favorite is a buffalo chicken one. 290 calories, has two small tortillas, spicy sauce, lettuce, chicken, cheese, chopped celery... it's yummy.

• yourradimradletshug
    Options
    I like the little packaged one-serving salad bowls at Safeway--and they recently added wraps! My favorite is a buffalo chicken one. 290 calories, has two small tortillas, spicy sauce, lettuce, chicken, cheese, chopped celery... it's yummy.

I may have to make the 25 min drive to my closest Safeway because that sounds really yummy!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I make all different things for breakfast and lunch on the weekends, or at least the night before. I will add the things not mentioned already: Breakfast Casserole. There are a million variations on this, depending on your diet and your preferences. I use sausage as a crust, add mushrooms and some type of greens, onions, seasonings, then pour over scrambled eggs and bake. Portion in small containers for the week. Soups: make a big batch and freeze to have later as well. I make a different one each week so I have a variety on hand. Chicken legs: Easy and portable. I roast a bunch and then bag a couple up in a baggie for true eat on the go food, I think they taste fine cold. You can season any way you like. Meatloaf Muffins: take your preferred meatloaf recipe and bake in muffin tins. Package them up in portions, also taste good cold if need be. I add to these ideas a salad or cut up veggies. If I am really on top of my game, I do pre-portioned meals. I make everything and pack into containers...a hot meal I can just grab and go and reheat for lunch.
  • tjohnston14
    tjohnston14 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I always prepack --and prelog --my meals and snacks the night before and then as I go through the day I will delete something from my food diary if I don't eat it. For breakfast, I usually have either oatmeal (I put 1/3 cup dry in a baggie and just add hot water at work) along with maybe an apple and a string cheese, or I have 2 hard boiled eggs with something small, like a banana. I also keep a trail mix at my desk (along with a measuring cup so I don't overdo it!) for days when I just need something more. For lunch I have a variety of things because otherwise I get tired of the same old thing every day. One thing I really love that is super easy and cheap is half of a Fresh Express Lite Ceasar kit and I add 3 oz of precooked chicken (Tyson has good ones in the freezer section). Good luck!