Time to introduce myself

mobo1989
mobo1989 Posts: 6 Member
edited December 2014 in Introduce Yourself
After 25 days of using MFP, it's time to introduce myself.

When I started using MFP, I just started working out a bit. I got my bachelor degree in 2012 and I cant find a job on my level to this very day. A couple of years ago I got into "depression-mode". I ate bad, didn't do any exercises or activities. I just was completely out of energy. I used to wear very loose and comfy clothes to hide my body. I wore loose jogging pants all the time, I gave up on normal jeans and pants:). One day, my sister invited me to go out for dinner with her and her husband. She warned me not to wear those jogging pants to a sushi-restaurant. So I picked my nicest jeans that was collecting dust. I put the jeans on and accidentally stood in front of the mirror. You know that look when you are watching a shock-documentary like docs about morbidly obese people or crazy people like Charlie Manson? That jaw-dropping look? Well, it was that look I had on my face mixed with a low self-esteem when I looked in the mirror. How could I have come this far? Well, those efforts to hide my body from other people were not only hiding my body from others but also from myself. I didn't have a clue what I was doing to my body. Yes, I knew I thought I had a little big belly, but it was way worse than I thought.

The next day, September the 10th to be exact, I started working out 2-3 times a week. I changed my eating habits and in the beginning I thought I was eating well. The emphasis is on "thought", because boy oh boy what was I wrong.

I discovered MFP and started using it around the 18th of November. I filled in my personal information/goals and I logged everything that went in my mouth. Also an important fact for me is that I started weighing every type of food.

Now 25 days later, I must say that MFP opened my eyes in the way I eat. Before I began with MFP, I made two big mistakes in my eating behaviour:
  1. I mistook the amount of food I ate many many times. I just eye-balled it. Thought I was eating a lot less than I actually was.
  2. I also never looked up calories of certain foods. For example: I thought that a croissant, such a tiny thing, would do no harm. That tiny little croissant could not be more than 150 calories, let's buy it! Wrong! I once looked the croissant in the database and it was 600 calories more or less.

With MFP, I know exactly what I can and can't eat on a regular basis. Sure, I am human, and I will have a forbidden fruit now and then. That slice of pizza was made for a reason! But I always log it and I'm honest to myself.

By the way, I go by the name Bous and I live in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. I am 175 cm and i weighed 100 kg when I started this change of lifestyle. I'm now down to 93.5 kg (lost the difference in nearly two months). It was really the use of MFP that boosted the weight loss in combination with regular exercise (like going to the gym, biking to work and other places). I am never hungry, yet I still have delicious meals. I am not compromising on anything enjoyable just like on other diets. A couple of years ago, I started this high-protein, low carb diet. I turned into the Hulk because of the diet. When you cut out something completely, you'll get easily agitated and agressive.

Now I have a decent amount of protein, carbs and healthy fats in my new "eating life". It makes me happy, it helps me with losing weight, and I enjoy the healthy meals. But most important of all: I dont think of this as a diet, not at all. It just feels like a positive switch turned on. It made my head clear and gave me a positive view ahead.

I'm sorry if this is too long, I just wanted to share the whole story with you (in good English I hope).

Replies