Peanut Butter & Banana Sandwiches

Options

Replies

• chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    oh yea, the 1000 calories thing. ADD a peanut butter and banana sandwich on TOP of your 1000 calories and you are golden. 1000 is not enough.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Ooohhhh sweet n sour gherkins dipped in peanut butter. Yummo!!
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    chadya07 wrote: »
    oh yea, the 1000 calories thing. ADD a peanut butter and banana sandwich on TOP of your 1000 calories and you are golden. 1000 is not enough.

I thought, by "cutting 1000", the OP meant they had a daily deficit of 1000 calories or in other words they are trying to lose 2lbs per week. I might be wrong though.
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    chadya07 wrote: »

I thought, by "cutting 1000", the OP meant they had a daily deficit of 1000 calories or in other words they are trying to lose 2lbs per week. I might be wrong though.

i guess i assumed that was a grammar thing because of all the grammar mistakes in the op, and that they meant eating.

• Christine_72
    Options
    I read it that he wants to cut 1000 calories a day off of his current daily calories? ?
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

eat PB and banana IF you like them and can fit them in to your calorie defecit - cutting from TDEE by 1000 seems a good idea to me

I'd eat it a couple of hours pre-workout personally, or immediately after

but my go-to at the moment is toast, cottage cheese, avocado and tomato .. omnomnom
  • Christine_72
    Options
    We need to know what his tdee is. Dropping 1000 calories off of, say 1800 would not be a good idea!
    OP needs to clarify...
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    46 year old male, weighing 214 who rows 30 - 60 mins 5 times a week

I think it's safe to say that his TDEE is high enough to cut 1000 from it
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    We need to know what his tdee is. Dropping 1000 calories off of, say 1800 would not be a good idea!
    OP needs to clarify...

Why do we "need to know"? Op asked about a specific sandwich, not what you thought their calorie I take should be....
  • Christine_72
    edited December 2014
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    OP needs to clarify...

Why do we "need to know"? Op asked about a specific sandwich, not what you thought their calorie I take should be....

because he said he wants to cut 1000 calories daily. That's alot of calories to drop.
    someone said it would be a good idea... but how do they know its a good idea when no one knows his starting point?

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    What's good about a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Well it might taste all right.
    are you using peanut butter instead of butter. If so you get the benefit of a vegetable oil instead of a saturated fat if that's an issue for you. but chances are if you are using peanut butter you will put more calories in your sandwich than if you only use butter.
    bananas a fruit so there are vitamins and minerals and some fibre.
    fibre in peanuts too but usually added oil, salt and sugar.
    What sort of bread is your sandwich made of. if white bread, then there's nothing much to recommend it. It should be wholegrain for maximum nutrition.

Then i would say try to include protein in each of your meals. aim for something like 20grams minimum but this will depend on your weight and activity level. Figureing out how much protein you should eat is a good idea. It makes weight loss easier.

A deficit of 1000 is a great deal. Probably not sustainable for longer than 3 months if that long.

If you want to keep hunger at bay and you have a lot of weight to lose, focus on reducing your carbs. Doing this will cut your appetite a lot and it will make your significant calorie deficit easier to manage.

When you reduce your carbs, you need to increase your fats because you rely on these foods for energy. mainly either one or the other is the main source but both is fine too so long as you are getting enough energy in your daily intake to get you through. Protein should be about the same for each approach. Read up on low carb diets if you want to learn more.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    What's good about a peanut butter and banana sandwich.

Well it might taste all right.
    are you using peanut butter instead of butter. If so you get the benefit of a vegetable oil instead of a saturated fat if that's an issue for you. but chances are if you are using peanut butter you will put more calories in your sandwich than if you only use butter.
    bananas a fruit so there are vitamins and minerals and some fibre.
    fibre in peanuts too but usually added oil, salt and sugar.
    What sort of bread is your sandwich made of. if white bread, then there's nothing much to recommend it. It should be wholegrain for maximum nutrition.

Then i would say try to include protein in each of your meals. aim for something like 20grams minimum but this will depend on your weight and activity level. Figureing out how much protein you should eat is a good idea. It makes weight loss easier.

A deficit of 1000 is a great deal. Probably not sustainable for longer than 3 months if that long.

If you want to keep hunger at bay and you have a lot of weight to lose, focus on reducing your carbs. Doing this will cut your appetite a lot and it will make your significant calorie deficit easier to manage.

When you reduce your carbs, you need to increase your fats because you rely on these foods for energy. mainly either one or the other is the main source but both is fine too so long as you are getting enough energy in your daily intake to get you through. Protein should be about the same for each approach. Read up on low carb diets if you want to learn more.

Why cut carbs? And if someone has a lot of weight to lose, 1k is a sustainable deficit. I've been at a 1000 cal deficit for 4 months. I wear a fitbit flex to determine the deficit.

Again.... This person asked about a specific sandwich, not what you thought their deficit should be. Seeing as they are asking about a sandwich, it is a safe bet to say they are not considered "low carb".
  • Sued0nim
    Options
    OP needs to clarify...

because he said he wants to cut 1000 calories daily. That's alot of calories to drop.
    someone said it would be a good idea... but how do they know its a good idea when no one knows his starting point?

well he's male, 46 and 214lbs

based on moderately active he would have to be shorter than 2 foot 2 to have a TDEE of less than 2200

I think he's safe
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    OP needs to clarify...

well he's male, 46 and 214lbs

based on moderately active he would have to be shorter than 2 foot 2 to have a TDEE of less than 2200

I think he's safe

I looked at his previous posts. He said in the past that he is 6 ft.

Based on that and what he's said here, the calculators estimate his TDEE to be somewhere between:

2661-2955 (2.5hrs - 5hrs of exercise per week)

I'd say it's most likely safe for him to cut 1000 calories for now. In the future he will probably have to reduce that, but right now it seems to be an okay deficit.
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Eating the sandwich if it's something you really enjoy and can fit into your calories but it's not going to keep you fuller than say some grilled chicken and broccoli. (Peanuts are calorie dense and high in fat so that helps if you need something light in your stomach before exercising. But you are better off grabbing a handful of nuts and eating them with your banana as a snack and eating a proper meal later.)

If you are having a hard time and feeling hungry with your 1000c deficit then make sure you are getting enough protein and dietary fiber. Beans are great for that, lentils and black beans are high in both. Good luck with it!
  • cake_superior
    cake_superior Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I adore a peanut butter and banana sandwich for breakfast or lunch, but the calories can stack up pretty quickly.

If you're in the UK and haven't already tried Meridian Peanut Butter (salt and sugar free - it's 100% peanuts, and they have an organic version which is little pricier), I'd strongly recommend trying it. I honestly think other brands don't even taste like peanut butter anymore - too sweet).

My own sandwiches end up being just a little over 200 calories, which fits neatly into my total for the day and leaves me full and satisfied.

As for WHEN to eat it, you could try eating half before and half after a workout. That way you have energy for your workout and a tasty treat to look forward to. There's really no right or wrong answer for WHEN to eat, as long as it works for you.
  • bornnslippy
    bornnslippy Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for the replies guys

Im trying to have a deficit of 1000 calories daily from my 2600, but i eat more when i exercise to keep it at as close to a 1000 i can

Is this ok or is that to much of a deficit or to many calories daily

Thanks
  • sheepotato
    sheepotato Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks for the replies guys

Im trying to have a deficit of 1000 calories daily from my 2600, but i eat more when i exercise to keep it at as close to a 1000 i can

Is this ok or is that to much of a deficit or to many calories daily

Thanks

For an adult male it's best to eat a bare minimum of 1500 calories a day, at 1600 you are going to do okay but you may want to set a slightly less aggressive weight loss goal. I don't know the kg/stone equivalent but with 1000 calorie deficit you are set to lose 2 pounds a week (the maximum recommend to lose per week, and that is for people with a substantial amount to lose.)

You may find it's much better for you to eat 2100 a day, and take it slower just depending on how much you need to lose.
  • Mediocrates55
    Mediocrates55 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Do they have Earth Balance peanut butter in the UK? I've never been a big peanut butter fan until I tried theirs. Delicious!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Now I want banana pancakes.