Attention All 5 foot 7 inch Women

Options
Can you tell me if any of you have had changes in your metabolism over the years ? I'm trying to lose weight but it's hard due to meds I'm about 125 but need to limit what I eat to stay this way

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    At 125 lbs and 5'7", you are already near the low end of your healthy weight range. You absolutely would have to limit your calories to stay there. Why are you trying to lose?
  • vhowru
    vhowru Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I' ve b een a t 120 To 123 For years and wanted to stay there I guess I just have to accept the change
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    You gained like 3lbs, and you're (I'm assuming) unhappy about that? It's probably just poop.
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    vhowru wrote: »
    Can you tell me if any of you have had changes in your metabolism over the years ? I'm trying to lose weight but it's hard due to meds I'm about 125 but need to limit what I eat to stay this way

vhowru wrote: »
    I' ve b een a t 120 To 123 For years and wanted to stay there I guess I just have to accept the change

I'd go with accept the change. I'm betting in a week the three pounds will be gone.

How long have you been at 125, and what is your age?

• Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    metabolism decreases with age due to lack of activity / lack of muscles

I think there's a fairly easy and obvious solution to that

but I wouldn't stress about 3lbs - could be water weight - and also at your height you're already a really low weight
  • jocomoso
    jocomoso Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    yeah my metabolism changed when I got to 45 but i wasn't doing much exercise, so got busy - cycle 4/5 times a week now and burn that junk off ...I got down to 138 which was a weight I had when I was 18! so it can be done.... I think you are slightly on the low end regarding weight for your height so just be careful... but everyone knows what they are happy with... I also found eating protein for breakfast helped me to not overeat late in the day.... finally falling in love is great for the pounds coming off! I have met a new guy and my life has been turned upside down with the fab result that I have lost about 5/6 pounds in less than 3 weeks! yey... it won't last (the weight loss) but it's nice anyway! ;-)
  • penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    What does height have to do with metabolism?? I'm 5'7 and I haven't weighed 125 since about 6th grade.

• penny0919
    penny0919 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    metabolism decreases with age due to lack of activity / lack of muscles

I think there's a fairly easy and obvious solution to that

but I wouldn't stress about 3lbs - could be water weight - and also at your height you're already a really low weight

So true! People like to blame a slowing metabolism on age, but the effect is minimal until you add lifestyle factors. If anyone were to watch how active the average 5-year-old is vs. the average 50-year-old for one day they would see this quite easily.

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Your metabolism can be effected by many things.

I'd be concerned that you are low in your healthy weight range and are concerned about 2-3 pound weight gain.......
  • vhowru
    vhowru Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thank you all ! I am starting to weight train so at 40 I'm hoping this will help increase my metabolism. I may just be picky but I don't want to be fifty or sixty and have my weight creep up on me I appreciate all of your support and insights