Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

after riding my bike really hard for an hour, I'm not hungry at all. why?

healthyfit125
healthyfit125 Posts: 8 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
so, pretty much every day (with one or two days off per week) I ride my bike for about an hour at max intensity (generally going about 18 mph if I do a flat ride) or sprinting up hills

for the past week or so, though, I have not felt hungry. Even when I only eat 600 ish calories by dinner time (basically just eating back the calories burned during the ride!) I don't feel any hunger! I'm worried that I'll start to have deficiencies.
what could be causing this?? I used to be HANGRY after a ride - serious food aggression. and now, nothing

Replies

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    That's pretty strange. Over-exertion possibly? Are you riding harder now than you used to? Do you get hungry a little while later?

If I'm coming off a endurance or tempo effort I'm usually hungry. After harder stuff, threshold or VO2 Max type efforts, it takes me a while to get hungry. It's like I need time to recover from hard efforts before my appetite returns. Are you riding harder now than you used to?
  • healthyfit125
    I'm riding hills more often now, due to my increasingly busy schedule not really permitting long distance rides - could definitely be exertion!
    But no, appetite doesn't really return - I haven't felt actually hungry for a week, now, and I've been working out all week (helps with stress, mental clarity, feeling awesome etc...)
  • ntnunk
    Definitely understand about the workouts. I think my bikes are the only things that keep me sane.

I'm afraid I don't have any advice about the hunger thing. I'd probably just keep an eye on at and if the trend continues maybe check with your doc. I bet it won't though.

Good luck, and keep pedaling!
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    That just happens to me sometimes. I'll have like a week where I just really don't feel hungry, or the idea of food makes me feel a little icky. I always think I am preggo, lol, but haven't been yet. :)
  • raysputin
    raysputin Posts: 142 Member
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/320144-does-exercise-release-a-chemical-in-the-brain/

Exercise produces endorphins which can reduce appetite.
  • ntnunk
    Oh, one last thing. One thing that will suppress my appetite for long periods is stress. You mention your increasingly busy schedule, so could that have something to do with it? High-stress situations will cause my appetite to disappear indefinitely.
  • healthyfit125
    raysputin wrote: »

I see! I find it a little strange that it's happening now, though, after I've been doing 30-50 mile rides on the weekend with various other rides during the week since the summer
  • healthyfit125
    ntnunk wrote: »
    Oh, one last thing. One thing that will suppress my appetite for long periods is stress. You mention your increasingly busy schedule, so could that have something to do with it? High-stress situations will cause my appetite to disappear indefinitely.

Yeah, just realised that it is probable due to exam week this week - haha! can't wait for the semester to end... almost there!!!
  • ntnunk

Yeah, just realised that it is probable due to exam week this week - haha! can't wait for the semester to end... almost there!!!

Yeah, that would probably do it for me. Good luck with the exam.
  • I'm normally not hungry for a few hours after my workouts, but kind of force myself to eat something even if it's just a handful of almonds and some carrots :) I agree with what's been said about the endorphins reducing your appetite and stress for sure too! Good luck! :D
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member

Yeah, that would probably do it for me. Good luck with the exam.

Think its that. The ride still isnt getting rid of enough stress because exam week is just bigger.

Imo what you need to do is look after yourself , so you can perform at peak levels for the exams. That means you need to take care of the nutrition side and make sure you are eating a proper balanced diet.