Compression socks, leggings, tights... and everything else in compression.

Options
2»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    stealthq wrote: »
    Anyway, I like compression for reducing vibration during long runs. Seems to help my legs stay fresher, longer.
    I have noticed similar benefits with wearing compression shorts during longer course triathlons. Pretty sure it's more than placebo effect.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    several of you have mentioned elbow pain...what have you gotten the pain from..
    I ask because i tend to get pain when im doing any tricep lift..skull crushers are a big one for me.

would the sleeves help there?

Most likely. Mine is from lots of heavy pulling type motions with my arms (deadlifts, rows, pull-ups, squats).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    DopeItUp wrote: »
    They are useful for certain things, but you didn't actually define what you mean by them working. Compression sleeves on my elbows and knees have made a huge difference in pain/comfort/tendonitis prevention (especially the elbows).

I have a feeling I have developed tendonitis in my left elbow…so based on your experience a sleeve would help with that?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    They are useful for certain things, but you didn't actually define what you mean by them working. Compression sleeves on my elbows and knees have made a huge difference in pain/comfort/tendonitis prevention (especially the elbows).

I have a feeling I have developed tendonitis in my left elbow…so based on your experience a sleeve would help with that?

It helps a lot. I got Rehbands but I hear SBDs are also good.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    SuggaD wrote: »
    Anything over 3 miles, I wear my compression socks. They work wonders for recovery.

i observe most of the people who runs long distance do mention about compression. perhaps it's also recommended for performance sports.
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Good timing for this post for me! My son is considering getting some compression gear for flying to competitions. Anyone have any experience with this? He liked the fit of the Nike Pro Combat Recovery Hypertights, but they are not cheap ($140). I'm wondering if just good compression socks would do the trick. He was also considering getting a compression long sleeve shirt for the same purpose.
  • hedgiie
    Options
    several of you have mentioned elbow pain...what have you gotten the pain from..
    I ask because i tend to get pain when im doing any tricep lift..skull crushers are a big one for me.

would the sleeves help there?

i had that kind of problem 3 years ago, it's now gone. what i did is replacing workout that cause pain. there are lots of triceps workout which might not result in some pain for you.

• hedgiie
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    IIRC the benefits of compression clothing seem more supportable from the recovery angle (so wearing them after the activity.)

During as an aid to performance is a bit more iffy but that said they are very comfortable which is a benefit to pushing yourself a bit harder (as you are not obsessing about your underwear garrotting you for example...)

Now that ... is a disturbing mental image. I guess the ultimate atomic wedgie?

Anyway, I like compression for reducing vibration during long runs. Seems to help my legs stay fresher, longer.

I'll use compression socks after a new distance PR - they do help with recovery. Or, at least they keep the swelling down a bit while I recover, which makes me feel better. Not so stiff.

congratulation to your new PR

• hedgiie
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    I have noticed similar benefits with wearing compression shorts during longer course triathlons. Pretty sure it's more than placebo effect.

it would make sense for my basketball game too, where there are lots of jumping, explosive change in direction and quick runs. for sure muscle stability through compression will help
  • SumnyUK
    SumnyUK Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I've only used compression shorts twice when running. Both times I found that I desperately needed to go to the toilet after a few miles. Maybe they compressed my bladder as well (sorry about that image).
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Voodoo floss is helping with the tendonitis in my elbow from my bike.

It hurts like a b, like... big time, but you crank that stuff on, move your arm around, and then pound as many pushups as you can.

Take it off, and it helps a lot.
  • hedgiie
    Options
    SumnyUK wrote: »
    I've only used compression shorts twice when running. Both times I found that I desperately needed to go to the toilet after a few miles. Maybe they compressed my bladder as well (sorry about that image).

Good observation, thanks. I think it makes sense as it compress that part too

• hedgiie
    Options
    Good timing for this post for me! My son is considering getting some compression gear for flying to competitions. Anyone have any experience with this? He liked the fit of the Nike Pro Combat Recovery Hypertights, but they are not cheap ($140). I'm wondering if just good compression socks would do the trick. He was also considering getting a compression long sleeve shirt for the same purpose.
    I have compression pants and just recently bought compression calf sleeve. It's optional for me to wear compression, so I use them about 10% of the time. That means I only use them when they are on sight. Those where last second thing for me if I will wear them or not. What I'm saying is that my workouts and activities are separated from this compression things, I'll still enjoy my workouts and activities with or without them. I'm recommending that don't let it be a show stopper for gaining skills or enjoying activities.
  • hedgiie
    Options
    hedgiie wrote: »
    I have compression pants and just recently bought compression calf sleeve. It's optional for me to wear compression, so I use them about 10% of the time. That means I only use them when they are on sight. Those where last second thing for me if I will wear them or not. What I'm saying is that my workouts and activities are separated from this compression things, I'll still enjoy my workouts and activities with or without them. I'm recommending that don't let it be a show stopper for gaining skills or enjoying activities.
    By the way I only bought them when they are on sale. I don't think it's necessary to have them.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I only wear them on my really long runs and/or for recovery days or recovery runs. Never for short fast stuff. In the first few miles or any really explosive stuff it tends to make my legs actually feel a bit more stiff and unresponsive. During the backend of a long run though it helps dull the pain of running on tired legs. I don't think I would use them for such things as basketball directly. Just my short, honest, non-scientific opinion.
  • hedgiie
    Options
    ElliottTN wrote: »
    I only wear them on my really long runs and/or for recovery days or recovery runs. Never for short fast stuff. In the first few miles or any really explosive stuff it tends to make my legs actually feel a bit more stiff and unresponsive. During the backend of a long run though it helps dull the pain of running on tired legs. I don't think I would use them for such things as basketball directly. Just my short, honest, non-scientific opinion.
    Thanks for sharing, it's interesting to what you say about into compression during explosive moves which happens a lot during basketball. However, I observe that in contrary many NBA players wear them, but some don't. Anyway, I think it is one of these new technologies in sport which might not be necessary.
  • hedgiie
    Options
    First time for me to wear a calf compression and I shoot very well that I did most of the points and even made the game winning shot. Even made shot blocks and steals. I would say that it improve performance. Now, I don't know if this is placebo effect or not but I sure do like the result. I also don't feel that sore after the game.

I'm trying out a compression shirt, I'm planning to get one of those too.