"Lift Like a Woman" Fitness Assessment

Options
So I went to the gym for my fitness assessment last night, the first guy I met with was a COMPLETE *kitten* and was telling me how I should be doing higher reps/lower weight with 10lb dumbbells vs the stronglifts 5x5 program, and told me some convoluted math problem to convince me I’d be moving more weight doing high reps with a 10lb dumbbell than with 5 sets and 5 reps with an 80lb barbell…. UMMMM OK WHATEVER DUDE! So the trainer took me out on the floor and did squats, deadlifts, chest, core, back, shoulders, triceps, hip flexibility and a little cardio (with the heavy ropes you move with your arms) and we went back into the room and the *****HOLE was like “what were her strengths and weaknesses?” the trainer goes “Her core and back are really strong, her deadlifts and squats are perfect and her only weakenesses were her chest, triceps and left hip” the *****HOLE changed his tune after that and was like “Have you ever thought about doing a strong woman competition”

Replies

• lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should take up boxing to rid yourself of the pent up anger
  • leooftheyear
    leooftheyear Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Man. Someone's angry.

Am i wrong to be frusterated at the fact that i had to prove myself for this meathead to take my seriously?!? then as soon as i did he changed his tune completely???
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Would have been awesome if your trainer would have said "That's for me to discuss with her privately."

There really is something to be said about lifting volume through more reps or more sets, but the benefits are seen in size increases more than in strength. Plus there is a threshold. If your reps are too high then the benefits of the increased volume drop off (that's why you'll never see video of Arnold doing 500 reps with a ten pound dumbbell).
    If you want to see greater strength increases without as much increased size (think firm dense muscles that give the lean, toned look most women want) then intensity becomes more important than volume.

Besides, 5x5 is a solid compromise between volume and intensity. Your reps per set are on the low end which increases the intensity, but you're performing 5 whole sets which increases the volume.

So he basically displayed his ignorance in several ways:

1) He either assumed he knew your goals by advising high volume for increased muscle size or he has no clue what results the higher volume he touts would even produce.

2) He assumed you were capable of less than you are (weak women should only work out with little bitty weights because they can't handle a real workout so let me give her some maths about volume to convince her to follow my stereotype).

3) He seriously thought converting an 80lb barbell to 10lb dumbbells for higher volume was a logical conversion. Even if higher volume would better suit your goals, dropping that much weight would have you doing so many reps that any benefits of the higher volume would be long gone. A better conversion would be to drop to a 60lb bar and increase your reps per set by about 5...IF it fit your goals.

4) He assumed your business was his business.
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Man. Someone's angry.

Am i wrong to be frusterated at the fact that i had to prove myself for this meathead to take my seriously?!? then as soon as i did he changed his tune completely???

Most trainers at a commercial gym are going to suggest high reps, low weight over a program like SL 5x5. And most trainers at commercial gyms aren't "meatheads"

He might have been frustrating but he's doing his job the way he was taught.

• maxit
    maxit Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    leooftheyear if I could triple-like your post, I would!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    eh...I don't have to PROVE myself to anyone, but me. I can understand your frustration, though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    okay- I'll bite.

If you know what you're doing- why were you wasting your time with them??

(not snark- legit question)
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    okay- I'll bite.

I'm not the OP, obvs.
    But I had used one at a gym as a form check prior to starting SL.
    I had found one that was a powerlifter though so I was lucky.

• PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    603reader wrote: »
    okay- I'll bite.

I'm not the OP, obvs.

I did the same thing. Had my "free assessment and training session" with him showing me how to squat, DL, OHP, and row
  • Carlos_421
    Options
    Looks like I missed the fact that the first guy was another trainer. I was thinking it was just a random dude at the gym being a nosey know-it-all.

So maybe he wasn't really assuming your business was his business...but he still had rotten advice. Just goes to show that just because you have a cert to work at a gym as a trainer doesn't mean you're good at what you do or even know what you're talking about when you give fitness advice.
  • KGRebelRanch
    KGRebelRanch Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I get this in a different way. I'm 4'8" and 135lbs. While I don't go to the gym, I get tired of people (men AND women) telling me to step aside or let someone else come over to load hay/feed/equipment. The worst offender was a man who came to buy a truck frame from us and told me that he would come back with another man because, "I can't load this by myself." I asked him, "So am I supposed to go somewhere else? There's two of us, we can load it."

After a lot of hemming and hawing he finally agreed (I may have also told him if I got hurt, I was in my own yard loading my own frame, so it wasn't like I could sue him).

I explained that my husband works from 6:30-6:00 and if I need anything done, I have to be able to do it alone. This means getting a tractor implement hooked up alone, loading hay alone, hunting and cleaning game alone, vaccinating 400lbs hogs alone.

But the WOMEN who get snarky over it are worse than any man. I cant count the sneers I get when I help load feed with my husband. After hearing a bunch of comments from several 20-something socialite-wannabes while my husband and I loaded feed I wheeled around and said, "What am I supposed to do if im not helping? Stand here and look pretty? Talk on my phone? He just got off a ten hour shift of moving equipment that is heavier than he is and he STILL drove me all the way here and helped me load it. You seem AWFULLY helpful stading around like a freaking mannequin-your husbands must feel lucky to have such pretty ladies to stare at."

I may not be the best looking, or the friendliest, but i'll be damned if im letting my vag stop me from being helpful with heavy items after my husband worked his hands to the bone all day.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I'd be taking my awesome body and money elsewhere.

I worked with my original PT for a little over two years and he was absolutely amazing. Due to some outside circumstances I recently switched to a new PT and love her as well. In fact everyone I associate with at my gym (other PT's, group instructors, and members) are nothing but supportive, encouraging, and help me explore new avenues. There are times I go to the gym even though I don't feel like it because I know I'll run into someone I know.

I couldn't imagine being in a gym w/ any other type of atmosphere......
  • leooftheyear
    Options
    okay- I'll bite.

I'm not the OP, obvs.

This, plus it was a free fitness evaluation for joining a new job, so i figured why not to check form and such and not hurt myself, the trainer himself was great and i figure the personal training will be a good way to supplement the Stronglifts 5x5 program
  • lishie_rebooted
    Options
    okay- I'll bite.

I'm not the OP, obvs.

This, plus it was a free fitness evaluation for joining a new job, so i figured why not to check form and such and not hurt myself, the trainer himself was great and i figure the personal training will be a good way to supplement the Stronglifts 5x5 program

I wouldn't do both SL AND do sessions with a PT.
    That's a great way to end up with overuse injuries.
    Pick one or the other

• leooftheyear
    Options
    I get this in a different way. I'm 4'8" and 135lbs. While I don't go to the gym, I get tired of people (men AND women) telling me to step aside or let someone else come over to load hay/feed/equipment. The worst offender was a man who came to buy a truck frame from us and told me that he would come back with another man because, "I can't load this by myself." I asked him, "So am I supposed to go somewhere else? There's two of us, we can load it."

After a lot of hemming and hawing he finally agreed (I may have also told him if I got hurt, I was in my own yard loading my own frame, so it wasn't like I could sue him).

I explained that my husband works from 6:30-6:00 and if I need anything done, I have to be able to do it alone. This means getting a tractor implement hooked up alone, loading hay alone, hunting and cleaning game alone, vaccinating 400lbs hogs alone.

But the WOMEN who get snarky over it are worse than any man. I cant count the sneers I get when I help load feed with my husband. After hearing a bunch of comments from several 20-something socialite-wannabes while my husband and I loaded feed I wheeled around and said, "What am I supposed to do if im not helping? Stand here and look pretty? Talk on my phone? He just got off a ten hour shift of moving equipment that is heavier than he is and he STILL drove me all the way here and helped me load it. You seem AWFULLY helpful stading around like a freaking mannequin-your husbands must feel lucky to have such pretty ladies to stare at."

I may not be the best looking, or the friendliest, but i'll be damned if im letting my vag stop me from being helpful with heavy items after my husband worked his hands to the bone all day.

THANK YOU!!!!

• leooftheyear
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I'd be taking my awesome body and money elsewhere.

I worked with my original PT for a little over two years and he was absolutely amazing. Due to some outside circumstances I recently switched to a new PT and love her as well. In fact everyone I associate with at my gym (other PT's, group instructors, and members) are nothing but supportive, encouraging, and help me explore new avenues. There are times I go to the gym even though I don't feel like it because I know I'll run into someone I know.

I couldn't imagine being in a gym w/ any other type of atmosphere......

The actual trainer himself was AMAZING and i'm going to sign up for at least a months worth of sessions with him, it was just that guy in particular who had some interesting ideas about women and weights?!? Even the guy i signed the contract with was amazingly helpful and supportive :smile:

• Carlos_421
    Options
    I can't speak as a woman because I'm not one. I do have plenty of experience being underestimated, however. I don't see myself getting angry or upset by the other trainer giving me bad advice when I know better. I just see myself rolling my eyes.

If he's going to be a PT working with women, though, he really needs to read this:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/berardi12.htm

He also needs to check up on Layne Norton's video logs about reps/sets and total volume.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options

The actual trainer himself was AMAZING and i'm going to sign up for at least a months worth of sessions with him, it was just that guy in particular who had some interesting ideas about women and weights?!? Even the guy i signed the contract with was amazingly helpful and supportive :smile:

Maybe he was having roid rage :# Lol jk. Feel a little self confidence boost that you surprised the guy and move on. I'm sure you have run into plenty of neigh-sayers and people who have underestimated you before in life. Be excited to work with the trainer though! After 2.5 years I could easily save myself $40 a week and train on my own....but the benefits and accountability and soaking in their years of fitness knowledge is too good to pass up since I can currently afford it :)