High calorie drink ideas?

Options
I have gastroparesis (aka lazy stomach), which means my body digests food really slowly. I've been working to maximize the amount and caloric density of solid food I eat, and have hit diminishing returns, so now I'm looking for liquid calories.

I need ~ 600 more calories through the day (range 300-900). Protein would be nice, but I'm generally getting my essential protein. Ideally I'd like something that I can prepare in the morning or the night before and keep in the fridge or on my desk to slowly consume during the day. Warm is slightly preferable to cold because my office is cold. Hyperpalatable is a big benefit, since I'm already varying between "I'm not hungry now" and "I'm so full I'm nauseated"

Exactly what my stomach will tolerate is unpredictable, so I'm hoping to try a wide variety of strategies and see what's most sustainable without displacing solid food.

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    gravy
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    My first thought is milk thickened with beneficial bacteria, like yogurt. You could blend it with fruit or chocolate and a little milk to the consistency you like.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amasi
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Chia seeds have nutritional punch and swell up to many times their size.

http://www.pinterest.com/dahlyshamilton/chia-drinks-chia-smoothies/

Peanut butter packs a caloric punch.
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Chia seeds have nutritional punch and swell up to many times their size.

http://www.pinterest.com/dahlyshamilton/chia-drinks-chia-smoothies/

Peanut butter packs a caloric punch.
    Thanks, @jgnatca. I didn't realize that about chia (ie., swell). Next time I'm tempted to eat high caloric nuts I'll try seeds instead
    Cheers!

@chouflour, Another trick (possibly mental) that works for me is ice cold water. It fills me up and makes staves my hunger.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^^ well ice water isn't calories- and OP needs calories.

milk.
    Smoothies made with ice cream in them- or greek yogurt- or cream cheese.

I know a guy who blends cheesecake into his smoothies. So I mean- there is that!
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    But sounds like she doesn't want to be filled up? She already feels full all the time? What about smoothies with peanut butter? Whole milk?
  • jgnatca
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If calories is your goal and you have enough protein, fruit juices add up really quickly too. When I had trouble getting enough calories directly after surgery, I would top off my day with a cup of juice. My dietitian said I was her first patient who managed to achieve their calorie goal in the first weeks after surgery.

And I promised her to go off juice as soon as it got easier to stay on goal.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    htimpaired wrote: »
    But sounds like she doesn't want to be filled up? She already feels full all the time? What about smoothies with peanut butter? Whole milk?

Heavy cream.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    Hot chocolate or Ovaltine. Kefir is good if you like and can tolerate yogurt.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Options
    I was going to say alcohol until I read what you needed it for :p
    How about tomato juice, V8, clamato juice?
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I add coconut oil to my coffee in the morning with a bit of cream. Takes a little getting used to, but now I love it! Makes it rich and decadent. I only use a half tablespoon now but used to use a full one. Good fats, anti-bacterial properties, and delicious :)
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    oh and you could start adding butter to everything.....wouldn't take much to add another few hundred cals to your day by doing that. plus everything is better with butter!!
  • reachingforarainbow
    Options
    Egg Nog lol
    Hot Chocolate
    Tea latte is Milk and Sugar
    Smoothies (which has already been said but whatever) make with milk and peanut butter and chocolate syrup and banana.
    Protein shakes if you want protein made with milk.
    Anything!!! lol.
  • reachingforarainbow
    Options
    Or you could try bulletproof coffee... aka basically butter in your coffee. Don't know if it even tastes good, but it would be warm, and it would help you get in more calories
  • mustgetmuscles1
    mustgetmuscles1 Posts: 3,346 Member
    Options
    1 scoop whey protein
    1 cup whole milk
    2 Reeses Peanut butter cups
    Blend, Drink, Enjoy.

450+ calories.
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk. Do you have to restrict fats, though? Soda? Tea and coffee with sugar.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,510 Member
    Options
    chouflour wrote: »
    I have gastroparesis (aka lazy stomach), which means my body digests food really slowly. I've been working to maximize the amount and caloric density of solid food I eat, and have hit diminishing returns, so now I'm looking for liquid calories.

I need ~ 600 more calories through the day (range 300-900). Protein would be nice, but I'm generally getting my essential protein. Ideally I'd like something that I can prepare in the morning or the night before and keep in the fridge or on my desk to slowly consume during the day. Warm is slightly preferable to cold because my office is cold. Hyperpalatable is a big benefit, since I'm already varying between "I'm not hungry now" and "I'm so full I'm nauseated"

Exactly what my stomach will tolerate is unpredictable, so I'm hoping to try a wide variety of strategies and see what's most sustainable without displacing solid food.
    Coconut milk. Some put it in coffee.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    My first thought was a mass gainer shake, but that would be awful warm!

Some ideas that come to mind:
    Peanut butter/almond butter/nutella (I could eat any of these off a spoon at my desk if I needed :wink:)
    Juice
    Hot chocolate or cider (around 120 per packet, make it with milk for more calories)
    Yogurt (not non-fat, yogurt with fat in it can hit about 240 calories for a cup)
    Coffee with protein powder in it (mix the powder with a bit of water first, then add the coffee otherwise it will get lumpy.)
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    beer