Two or More Questions Need Help With!

Options
I have been weighing myself everyday. I can't decide if I should weigh myself once a week or everyday to see the fluctuations.

Anyway this week I weighed:
Monday 218.5
Tuesday 218
Wednesday 216.8
Thursday 217.7
Friday 217

So I counted Wednesday as my lowest weight. I understand weight fluctuates.

During the xmas week I will be at my boyfriends parents house who cook a lot of Polish food (one of the dishes they make is an oily broth with eggs and sliced sausage). I am going to try really hard to log everything I am eating( i'm not going to make them keep packaging or anything- I think that's rude).

How do I stay on track?

Can I check my weight everyday to see if it goes up or down to know that I am eating okay?

What can I DO!?!!?

I feel that it is really difficult to count calories when you aren't sure how much the food weighs and all that other stuff, I hate guessing!!! Last year, when I went there for xmas I gained like 5lbs and I was never hungry because his mom constantly feeds and feeds. It was horrible!!!

I hope this makes sense- thanks a lot.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates like that. If it drives you nuts, weigh only once a week. But by the look of things I see you are having a downward trend which is good.

In regards to logging unknown foods try to do your best guesstimating. When you get back home start logging as usual. The 5 pounds you put on last time was more than likely water weight. So relax and have fun visiting with family :)
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    1. Buy a food measuring scale
    2. Just my opinion (everyone's different, so I'm NOT judging) - don't weigh yourself every day. To me, it's like having the flu and taking my temperature every 30 minutes... you'll drive yourself crazy!

Every weigh in can affect you mentally & emotionally; it may not even be noticeable, but your mental state changes (even if just a little) depending on seeing whether you gain or lose - No matter how small the change, there's always an element of either "I'm succeeding!" or "I'm failing..." that creeps into the psyche that can alter your perception and/or habits.

Again, just my opinion based on what I find works best for me - it may not work for you. But eat what you want in reasonable portions, measure the servings and stick to one serving, and take a few days off from the scale.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Your weight on Tuesday has very little to do with what you ate on Monday as far as fat loss/gain is concerned. You determine if you had a "good" day by looking at the next days weight. There are simply too many things other then fat loss/gain that effect your body weight. I would continue to weigh daily but I'd pay zero attention to the day to day weights. After 7 days of weights, take an average. Do this every week. Compare a month's worth of weekly averages and you get a much more accurate picture of what your weight is actually doing.

As far as staying accountable without having good nutritional information, the best you can do is estimate. I'd say error on the side of overestimation. Maybe give it your best guess then add 15% to whatever that is. Also know that 1 week is 1/52 of a year. Hardly enough to define your progress. It's not the one week exception that makes or brakes you, it's what you do with the other 51 that count.
  • turtlez23
    turtlez23 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Weight fluctuates like that. If it drives you nuts, weigh only once a week. But by the look of things I see you are having a downward trend which is good.

In regards to logging unknown foods try to do your best guesstimating. When you get back home start logging as usual. The 5 pounds you put on last time was more than likely water weight. So relax and have fun visiting with family :)

Thank you, I will try to have fun!
  • turtlez23
    Options
    EZDUZIT68 wrote: »
    1. Buy a food measuring scale
    2. Just my opinion (everyone's different, so I'm NOT judging) - don't weigh yourself every day. To me, it's like having the flu and taking my temperature every 30 minutes... you'll drive yourself crazy!

Every weigh in can affect you mentally & emotionally; it may not even be noticeable, but your mental state changes (even if just a little) depending on seeing whether you gain or lose - No matter how small the change, there's always an element of either "I'm succeeding!" or "I'm failing..." that creeps into the psyche that can alter your perception and/or habits.

Again, just my opinion based on what I find works best for me - it may not work for you. But eat what you want in reasonable portions, measure the servings and stick to one serving, and take a few days off from the scale.

Hi!

I have a scale at home but I am not going to bring it with me to his parents house. I agree that I do get sad or happy depending on what my weight is but I am trying to not let it take over my day.

Thanks so much! :)
  • turtlez23
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Your weight on Tuesday has very little to do with what you ate on Monday as far as fat loss/gain is concerned. You determine if you had a "good" day by looking at the next days weight. There are simply too many things other then fat loss/gain that effect your body weight. I would continue to weigh daily but I'd pay zero attention to the day to day weights. After 7 days of weights, take an average. Do this every week. Compare a month's worth of weekly averages and you get a much more accurate picture of what your weight is actually doing.

As far as staying accountable without having good nutritional information, the best you can do is estimate. I'd say error on the side of overestimation. Maybe give it your best guess then add 15% to whatever that is. Also know that 1 week is 1/52 of a year. Hardly enough to define your progress. It's not the one week exception that makes or brakes you, it's what you do with the other 51 that count.

I like your idea about daily weighing and then taking an average! That sounds pretty accurate! After reading some of your forum posts I do try to overestimate when I go to a restaurant or something! I think that is pretty helpful!

Thank you for your advice! I know 1 week shouldn't matter but I want to try! :)