Scale, measuring tape, fat caliper or dress size?

Options
What is your most important measurement tool to guide your weight loss and why? Mine would be the fat caliper. Even though I'm a scale zombie at times, ultimately my measure (pardon the pun) of success is "the jiggle", or lack thereof. I don't care if my thighs are big as long as they are muscular looking with no cellulite or jiggle. Would take a 29 inch waist with no rolls than a soft 24 inch stomach.

What are yours goals for each measurement tool?

I think my goal of <20% bodyfat will correspond to 140lbs on the scale, size 6 or 4 pants and 35-26-36 (I'm a pear). BTW, I'm 5'8" tall.

Replies

• allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Lol, definitely NOT the clothing size for me. I was squeezing my booty into way too tiny shorts just because I was convinced I was still a size 4/6.

I would say the measuring tape and the mirror overall, but since those things change so slowly, the scale is my weekly check-in.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I think for me the scale just because it is so easy. Weigh every day. Next are measurements, especially my waist measurement. I do have calipers but haven't used them and would be worried about being able to measure well. I also use a scale that computes body fat, of course it's not super accurate but I figure the trend is still illuminating. Finally, I don't think I need an exactly end point goal, I know looking at my history and my mom that it's not realistic to try for "skinny" plus I'll likely have loose skin, so it's going to be about finding a size that maximizes my health and happiness and does not require herculean efforts to maintain.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Clothes and measurements definitely! I do plan to buy a body fat measuring device in a week or 2. The scale just has never been a good solid overall measurement for me. It's so weird because my friends will just randomly say that I've lost weight but what they really mean is that I've lost inches, while my weight has stayed the same. Inches all the way :)
  • 52cardpickup
    52cardpickup Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Pictures, taken in the same lighting and clothes and pose. I keep track of the scale and measurements too, but the pictures tell the story best for me.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I don't have specific goals for each measuring tool. I probably have another 30-40 pounds to lose. Even that is a rough estimate because my real goals are fitness based. In all honesty my most eye-opening revelations have come from things like a 9min mile run, hurrying up the stairs without being out of breath, etc. One of my favorite recents was buying a pair of pants last week in a size I haven't worn in 10 years. Pretty awesome :)

I refuse to be a slave to specific numbers!!!
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,472 Member
    Options
    I do not have any, is that bad>?
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I guess that in the end the goal for everyone (who is overweight, that is) is to lose fat, and thus eventually the calipers would be the most accurate tool for tracking that. However, as long as I can just look in the mirror and say "yep, still a fatty" I don't really care if my body fat is at 35 % or 32 %, so before I'm more in the "fit" than "fat" category, I'll just go by the scale, mirror and occasional measurements.
  • astrose00
    astrose00 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Intersting perspectives. I forgot about the mirror but that's the least helpful for me because I don't see what others see. That goes both ways. When I was lean, I didn't see it and when I got fat, I didn't see it. It lies!!!!

Now, pictures... oh my gosh. Nothing kicks you in the butt like a picture. But until I get out of the "fat" stage, I am steering clear of the camera.
  • astrose00
    Options
    I do not have any, is that bad>?

I dunno. I was reading articles on bodybuilding.com (not just for bodybuilders but anyone wanting to lose fat and get fit) and a lot of experts said one of the most important factors in being successful is having a clearly defined goal. I don't think that means a specific weight or size. But I think it's more specific than saying "I want to get into shape" or "I want to lose weight". I don't know if it's true or not. I chose goals based on where I've been in the past and how much more I needed to accomplish to get to my ideal body. My sister is losing weight, too, but I don't think she has a specific number in mind. I think there are pros and cons to both.

Maybe an ultimate goal with intermediate goals in between is a good approach. That's kind of what I'm doing now. I feel I will be out of the "fat" category when I lose about 20 more pounds based on my historical weight. So that's a huge milestone for me. I know I will look amazing (hehehe, if I do say so myself...) when I get to 160lbs. So that's another milestone. My next milestone should hopefuly be here in a few weeks. ONEderland.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I like to use a few. Like others have said, the scale because it's the easiest and shows change the quickest. I track the BF% it shows too, although I've always been skeptical of it (that said, the numbers make sense and the number I was getting when I got my DEXA was quite close). Also measurements, although I only do that about once a month, and jean size in a particular brand and style of jeans (for consistency). I'm in the lowest one I have of those, so I'm thinking of buying a couple more.

At some point I'll probably do another DEXA.

I don't have a hard ending goal. It's going to depend on how I look, where the fat is coming off/left, and general fitness stuff.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    There is no best tool. They are all important. In general, if fat loss is a goal, weight on the scale will trend down, measurements will trend smaller, clothing sizes will decrease if you lose enough weight, and caliper reading will also go down. The opposite is true about muscle gaining for all the readings, they should be increasing. Generally if 2-3 of these things are trending the way you want, you can assume you are making progress. The mirror and or progress pictures are great long term indicators of progress. If you look relatively the same in pictures or in the mirror wearing nothing but your underwear, something in your plan needs to change.

The scale is usually the first to get moving and the first thing to stop moving. This is due to water weight fluctuations. The numbers on the scale are much more meaningful when you take daily weights, average them each week, then compare several weeks of averages to each other. If looking over a month's worth of averages, your weight should absolutely be trending down.

Calipers are fairly inaccurate in my opinion. If you have a skilled person using them on you, and it's the same person every time, (and never done by yourself) the accuracy greatly increases. I usually do not bother with caliper readings. After all, I'm either too fat for my taste or not. This is where I trust the mirror. No matter what a device says my body fat percentage is, I'm either fatter then I want to be or I'm not. The number means very little to me.

Measurements go along with clothing size. Measurements are a more precise reading. Different clothing companies size very differently and you have to make a fairly big amount of change to need to go up or down a size where as a measuring tape can be in millimeters if you want to measure that way. This also suffers from accuracy issues like the calipers. If you don't measure in exactly the same spot, you can have a lot of variance. I'd again make sure it's someone who knows what they are doing, the same person each time, and never yourself.

Again, the mirror/progress pictures really are the end all be all for me. If this isn't changing over the course of many months, then it's certainly time to reevaluate your goals and methods.
  • astrose00
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    I don't have specific goals for each measuring tool. I probably have another 30-40 pounds to lose. Even that is a rough estimate because my real goals are fitness based. In all honesty my most eye-opening revelations have come from things like a 9min mile run, hurrying up the stairs without being out of breath, etc. One of my favorite recents was buying a pair of pants last week in a size I haven't worn in 10 years. Pretty awesome :)

I refuse to be a slave to specific numbers!!!

I agree that the fitness accomplishments are pretty inspiring. I had been in shape for 20+ years (even though I yo-yo'd +/-20lbs a few times). This last time I got injured and gained 80lbs+. I lost all the gains I made over those decades. I was FAT and out of shape for the first time ever and everything was just falling apart. It took months for me to realize my physical ailments were because I was fat. Everyday, I get fitter and fitter and all those ailments are disappearing. I would love to get into running when I get a little lighter (it would be too much on my surgically repaired ankle now) because I think it would be so cool to just listen to music and run like the wind.
  • astrose00
    edited December 2014
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    There is no best tool. They are all important. In general, if fat loss is a goal, weight on the scale will trend down, measurements will trend smaller, clothing sizes will decrease if you lose enough weight, and caliper reading will also go down. The opposite is true about muscle gaining for all the readings, they should be increasing. Generally if 2-3 of these things are trending the way you want, you can assume you are making progress. The mirror and or progress pictures are great long term indicators of progress. If you look relatively the same in pictures or in the mirror wearing nothing but your underwear, something in your plan needs to change.

The scale is usually the first to get moving and the first thing to stop moving. This is due to water weight fluctuations. The numbers on the scale are much more meaningful when you take daily weights, average them each week, then compare several weeks of averages to each other. If looking over a month's worth of averages, your weight should absolutely be trending down.

Calipers are fairly inaccurate in my opinion. If you have a skilled person using them on you, and it's the same person every time, (and never done by yourself) the accuracy greatly increases. I usually do not bother with caliper readings. After all, I'm either too fat for my taste or not. This is where I trust the mirror. No matter what a device says my body fat percentage is, I'm either fatter then I want to be or I'm not. The number means very little to me.

Measurements go along with clothing size. Measurements are a more precise reading. Different clothing companies size very differently and you have to make a fairly big amount of change to need to go up or down a size where as a measuring tape can be in millimeters if you want to measure that way. This also suffers from accuracy issues like the calipers. If you don't measure in exactly the same spot, you can have a lot of variance. I'd again make sure it's someone who knows what they are doing, the same person each time, and never yourself.

Again, the mirror/progress pictures really are the end all be all for me. If this isn't changing over the course of many months, then it's certainly time to reevaluate your goals and methods.

Great post with excellent points. Thanks. I haven't actually used my bodyfat calipers lately, lol, because I need to change the batteries. I know it's hard to get accurate reading. My bodyfat "measurement" really comes from me being able to see more muscle definition and less fat covering it. That let's me know my body comp is changing. Since I'm in weight loss mode, I eat lots of protein and try to lift intensely and heavy as I can to maintain (or lose less muscle and more fat). I fortunately maintained a lot of muscle even though I had gained weight. Now that I am losing I can see more and more definition peaking through ("there you are!!!"). Eventually, I would like to get an accurate BF % reading but I will wait until I lose more fat.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Don't know about "most important", but I monitor the scale. This is mostly because it's easy. Much quicker than getting out a measuring tape, and more objective than how my clothes fit. I have to monitor something regularly to maintain my focus, all the other methods just require a little more effort than it's worth.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I dunno. I was reading articles on bodybuilding.com (not just for bodybuilders but anyone wanting to lose fat and get fit) and a lot of experts said one of the most important factors in being successful is having a clearly defined goal.

This applies to basically anything in life. Goals should be SMART. That is: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound.

There's nothing quite as devastating for morale and motivation than to work hard towards a goal that turns out to be impossible to achieve. Not just in weight loss, but in everything in your life.

It is usually also better to set the "means" as your goal instead of the "ends". That is, make your goal to "stay under your daily calories for 27/30 days and exercise at least 10 times every month" instead of "lose 20 pounds by end of March".
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I like the scale best. I weigh every morning and don't find that excessive for me at all, I roll with the fact that it's not a linear thing and there will be little dips and rises along every week or two. I've lost 138 lb and still don't have a "goal number" I hope to hit though because I keep hitting my previous goals (180, 170, now in the 160s) and I'm not unhappy with my body now but I know I'm not finished yet. I don't see myself going under 150. Not that I couldn't at 5'8" but I just like the way I look currently enough to feel it's closer to my long-term maintenance goal.

I also like measuring with a tape measure - though just at the bust, waist, and hips, and only every couple of months. Photos can be powerful "measurements" as well, as others mentioned.

Honestly though clothing sizes mean very little to me. They are too irregular for my taste, so I just say eh, I guess I wear 10-12 or M/L. I don't care if I never get into an 8 and I don't remotely expect to wear smalls (nor do I particularly aspire to that).

I don't have specific measurements I would like to be. Everyone tells me I'm an hourglass but my measurements say pear. Even now I have hips over 40 inches! My waist to hip ratio is awesome, though, so I'm really not concerned at all.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Scale. I've never done the calipers, I can never remember to dig out the measuring tape, I've only taken my first selfies in four years this week and I haven't let anyone else photograph me in ages, and I'm pretty delusional about what I see in the mirror.

I weigh multiple times a day and I'm finally free of feeling terrible when the number is higher.

ETA: Clothing sizes are insane. 5'6" 200-pound women are not supposed to be size twelves. I also have a pair of size 15 jeans that I've only recently been able to wear again.
  • astrose00
    Options
    zipa78 wrote: »
    astrose00 wrote: »
    I dunno. I was reading articles on bodybuilding.com (not just for bodybuilders but anyone wanting to lose fat and get fit) and a lot of experts said one of the most important factors in being successful is having a clearly defined goal.

This applies to basically anything in life. Goals should be SMART. That is: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant and Time-bound.

There's nothing quite as devastating for morale and motivation than to work hard towards a goal that turns out to be impossible to achieve. Not just in weight loss, but in everything in your life.

It is usually also better to set the "means" as your goal instead of the "ends". That is, make your goal to "stay under your daily calories for 27/30 days and exercise at least 10 times every month" instead of "lose 20 pounds by end of March".

I agree 100%. Even my company has used SMART. I think if the goal is too ambiguous it easy to bail on it. Also, as you mentioned, if the means to the end is ambiguous that's pretty much a set up for failure.
  • astrose00
    Options
    I like the scale best. I weigh every morning and don't find that excessive for me at all, I roll with the fact that it's not a linear thing and there will be little dips and rises along every week or two. I've lost 138 lb and still don't have a "goal number" I hope to hit though because I keep hitting my previous goals (180, 170, now in the 160s) and I'm not unhappy with my body now but I know I'm not finished yet. I don't see myself going under 150. Not that I couldn't at 5'8" but I just like the way I look currently enough to feel it's closer to my long-term maintenance goal.

I also like measuring with a tape measure - though just at the bust, waist, and hips, and only every couple of months. Photos can be powerful "measurements" as well, as others mentioned.

Honestly though clothing sizes mean very little to me. They are too irregular for my taste, so I just say eh, I guess I wear 10-12 or M/L. I don't care if I never get into an 8 and I don't remotely expect to wear smalls (nor do I particularly aspire to that).

I don't have specific measurements I would like to be. Everyone tells me I'm an hourglass but my measurements say pear. Even now I have hips over 40 inches! My waist to hip ratio is awesome, though, so I'm really not concerned at all.

I think an issue of mine is never being satisfied or happy with where I am. When I look back at pictures before I gained weight, I feel I looked fabulous. But when I was there somehow I didn't see that. It's interesting how we view ourselves sometimes.

Congrats on your weight loss!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Mostly, I want to be healthy. If I could have that guaranteed, I'd go back to being obese.

But, for vanity alone, I'd like to be thin. Love watching the clothing sizes go down, but am not obsessed with them or thinking I have to get into a certain size.

When I'm there, I'll know.

If I could be thin without all the excess skin, I'd be delighted, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards, so I must settle for thin. :)