How to make juicing more affordable?

Options
2»

Replies

• Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    You don't have to like and eat every vegetable. Just keep your diet varied and you will be fine.

Juices are not a great idea as a regular part of your diet. High calorie density means that they do not provide satiation and their energy doesn't last long because they are digested quickly.

If you are already skinny, this may not be a problem but if you are trying to lose weight its not smart to take this route.
  • mykaylis
    mykaylis Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    juices are great for one thing - getting a large load of micronutrients in your body fast. i mean let's face it, i couldn't eat half a head of romaine, a bunch of spinach, several sticks of celery, several carrots, a bunch of dandelion greens, a beet or two, and a granny smith apple in one sitting. in fact, if i was eating the whole food i couldn't eat it in a day.

the cons, of course, is that you miss out on fibre and it IS expensive. eating all of the abovementioned vegetables costs a lot. settling for one bowl of greens with whatever i put on it to make it taste good (i really don't like a lot of vegetables, that's why throwing it back as a juice works better for me) is cheaper but i get fewer micronutrients.

i am, of course, aware that there are a lot of carb calories and probably a high GI involved. i'm just explaining why i juice.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Why do you need to drink juice? You miss out on all the fiber and this will keep you fuller. It is the cheaper option.

I would simply buy a juicer that doesn't extract the pulp/fibre.

• Jpat0
    Jpat0 Posts: 201 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Wow, I didn't even know some of the stuff about juicing. Thanks for some great advice as well! I found a place near me that has cheaper vegetables and fruits. Also, the rejuicing part is genius! I googled what to do with the left over pulp for more ideas, so here it is:

http://www.vegetariantimes.com/blog/what-do-i-do-with-leftover-juice-pulp/

@cwolfman13, yea I used to drink V8 a lot. Now for some reason, I can't stand the taste of it. (Yea I know most people find picky eaters annoying, but can't help it).

@Patttience, I am trying to lose weight, but I do not substitute my meals for the juice. It's just something extra in my diet for the day. I eat raw vegetables and fruits plus 3 home cooked meals. Would you still not recommend it?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    That's kind of the definition of a juicer, though. Otherwise, it's a blender, I think.