2»

Replies

• contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    you mean recovery speed yes?

I believe so, yes. Sorry, but glad you picked up on what I meant =) Fixed it in my post.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    Cathe Www.cathe.com has quite a bit of strength training videos that are focused on the 8-12 rep range.

This is what I was going to suggest as well if you really want a video.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    you mean recovery speed yes?

I believe so, yes. Sorry, but glad you picked up on what I meant =) Fixed it in my post.

:D
  • contingencyplan
    edited December 2014
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »
    Cathe Www.cathe.com has quite a bit of strength training videos that are focused on the 8-12 rep range.

If you're looking for something that tries very hard to emulate a "true hardcore lifting session" AND is available on video and is primarily focused at women, Cathe is really the only game in town. Everything else more or less that falls under the latter 2 guidelines is nothing more than a cleverly disguised cardio/circuit training session.
  • PwrLftr82
    PwrLftr82 Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    PwrLftr82 wrote: »

If you're looking for something that tries very hard to emulate a "true hardcore lifting session" AND is available on video and is primarily focused at women, Cathe is really the only game in town. Everything else more or less that falls under the latter 2 guidelines is nothing more than a cleverly disguised cardio/circuit training session.

Yup.

I think the OP would be better served checking out NROL(4W, but anything from the series is pretty good) or StrongLifts. I did both, but am doing Wendler's 5/3/1. You really just can't do an entire video of something like that...would be awful to watch!
  • dbmata
    Options
    Not only that, but watching a 15 minute video on proper squat setup before doing the set would be lame. lol
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Kelly Coffee Myers - they are the best!! I have all of them but the kickboxing ones. Here's a link to AMAZON.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_12?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=kelly+coffee+exercise+video&sprefix=KELLY+COFFEE,aps,207
  • contingencyplan
    Options
    Not only that, but watching a 15 minute video on proper squat setup before doing the set would be lame. lol

HIP DRAAAHV.
  • dbmata
    Options
    imagine a smolov video having a "vomit break"
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I took a look at Body Beast, this looks quite good actually. As I said at the outset, I would like an actual video program to follow. Cathe.com looks good too although I'm not 100% sure which DVD I would buy. I'm seem to be going in the direction of Body Beast. My aim is to build muscle and this looks like it would get the job done.
    I've read about SL and New rules for lifting, but I want someone on screen saying "do this"
    If that doesn't work for "heavy lifting" then so be it. I just needed a push in the right direction.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    this is probably something of a sexist comment, but all the women I know that tried body beast really liked it, got a lot out of it, and did it multiple times.

recommend asking around for what equipment you might need, or just get the videos, watch them and make your own choices on what's necessary.
  • belinda_b
    belinda_b Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I don't think that's a sexist comment at all. :#
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Don't want to be a threadcrapper, but lifting heavy requires concentration -- making sure you've got the weight centered and paying attention to your kinesthetics. Hell, today I had a short lapse of concentration going down into my squat, got back on my heels just a little too far, and damn near fell backwards (poster child for working out in the power rack, I am). And I'm not even squatting body weight yet.

Guess I could see a case where you could use a video to work on form while using a bar or something well under your working weight, but for the love of God don't be doing that with anything really heavy.
  • dbmata
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Don't want to be a threadcrapper, but lifting heavy requires concentration -- making sure you've got the weight centered and paying attention to your kinesthetics. Hell, today I had a short lapse of concentration going down into my squat, got back on my heels just a little too far, and damn near fell backwards (poster child for working out in the power rack, I am). And I'm not even squatting body weight yet.

Yup, sometimes you can't even use earbuds, because you have to concentrate that hard.

• griffithm1
    griffithm1 Posts: 130 Member
    Options

THIS. STS, CLX, the Max series. Lots there.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I workout at home only and I do heavy lifting a couple days per week.

Cathe's Slow and Heavy series is my style since I enjoy lifting slow and heavy. Although it is a little dated, almost all of the workouts uses heavier weights.

I've done 3 rounds of Chalean Extreme progressively with great results each time.

Supreme 90 Day is also a decent heavy lifting program. With this one there are a few people doing the workouts (2 men and 1 woman), but they are all going at their own pace which I found a little confusing at first. I just did my own thing and didn't pay much attention after a while.

I have a dvd by Amy Bento called Slo-Mo Strength Challenge which is a good "split" style heavy lifting dvd, but you need a barbell.

For a basic/middle of the road heavier lifting workout Jessica Smith has a handful of videos that primarily uses heavier weights on Youtube. She has a lot of videos, but the one I do the most is called "Strictly Strength". It's not a lightweight fast tempo cardio type workout and it's not heavy, heavy either, but I enjoy it to mix things up.

I'm looking to start another heavy lifting system soon. I have Cathe's STS (it looks great, but you do need a lot of space and equipment at home) and I'm looking into Body Beast as well. I'm also eyeing Jari Love's Ripped & Chisled.

Good luck!