Help with my workouts!

Options
mrsformaldehyde
mrsformaldehyde Posts: 8 Member
edited December 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
I have been kickboxing 4 times a week for an hour. It is very HITT mixed with different body workouts each week. I have been wanting to incorporate some heavy lifting. I read that doing tons of cardio while heavy lifting is counter productive. Is kickboxing considered "true" cardio? I thought it was a total body workout. Am I kickboxing too much to incorporate lifting? I have lost 15lbs and have more to lose but I need to build some muscle. Whats the best way to mix these 2 workouts?

Thanks!

Replies

• paj315
    paj315 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I'd guess that kick boxing is more on the cardio side, although I've never taken a class so I don't know. I think its more about the huge calorie deficit you're likely creating when you're doing tons of cardio.
    If you want to start lifting I'd cut back the kickboxing and add in at least 2 days of lifting.
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    I used to kickbox 4 times a week for about 7 hours total. I'd have never managed a lifting programme as well at that ppoint. I agree, try 2 session a week and 2 days lifting. Also during your kickboxing are you doing any body weight exercises (squats, press ups, leg raises). If not (well if not Id worry about your instructor first) I'd personally add those in.
    And most of all enjoy. I miss it like hell but after 5 years out I dont think my joints are up to it anymore and I cant spare the time or money on top of my gym memberships
  • mrsformaldehyde
    mrsformaldehyde Posts: 8 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I used to kickbox 4 times a week for about 7 hours total. I'd have never managed a lifting programme as well at that ppoint. I agree, try 2 session a week and 2 days lifting. Also during your kickboxing are you doing any body weight exercises (squats, press ups, leg raises). If not (well if not Id worry about your instructor first) I'd personally add those in.
    And most of all enjoy. I miss it like hell but after 5 years out I dont think my joints are up to it anymore and I cant spare the time or money on top of my gym memberships

Yes we do. Lots of body weight type stuff .We do squats,lunges,split squats, tons of core workouts, as well as HIIT bag drills

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    They are only counter productive for people who want absolute maximal gains in 1 particular area, i.e. NOT the majority of MFP.

As for how to mix them, you'll have to try and see what you respond best to. Try them on consecutive days, try them with a rest day in between, try them on the same day... then go with what works.

As for teh building muscle/shedding fat... your diet will control that, so make sure you're cals/macros are where they need to be.
  • zipa78
    zipa78 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I read that doing tons of cardio while heavy lifting is counter productive.

That's only true if your goals are more in the bodybuilding type of training and muscle gain. If you want to lift to become stronger, then you can feel free to do as much cardio as you can. Just make sure that you eat enough and take enough time to rest and recover.

If you do KB 4 times a week then I'd recommend at most two days lifting, maybe just one. Depending on how taxing you KB training is.