MFP Calorie suggestion or do you do something else

Options
seashell709
seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
edited December 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
I have been following MFP preset up but my question is does anyone do there own set up. How do you figure out how much protein, carb, fat and fiber you should do? Right now I'm doing the 0.5 a week loss which is working but the 1lb weight loss is not enough i feel like . Any suggestions are welcome. My calories per MFP are around 1700 a day. My average daily calorie intake is 1500-1600.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Go into goals, custom and set your own. I personally have my protein set higher than MFP recommends, because I lift. Everyone is going to have different needs, based on their goals.
  • mija777
    Options
    But are you happy with the weight loss you are achieve right now? If not then change it to lower calories, but don't go below 1200 :) I set up my own calorie intake to 1200 :)
  • seashell709
    seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I used IIFYM calculator to set up MFP and lowered my calories since I don't want to do what MFP suggested for the 1 lb week weight loss.
  • NotGnarly
    NotGnarly Posts: 137 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I follow the guidelines. I also have mine set at .5 pounds loss a week, so mfp put it at 2090. My nutritionist told me to eat 2000 cals a day. Works just fine for me since I don't obsess about food, oh and not being hangry is awesome. Restricting my cals too much makes me a very bad person to be around, plus I feel like I've lost a crap ton of muscle by having a huge deficit in the past. So now low deficit, more realistic expectations
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    I'm higher than suggestion, set my goal at 1800. Have been eating typically 1800-2200 depending on exercise, and lose about 1.5/week. My goal is to eat as much as I can and still lose weight as a reasonable pace.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do custom goals/settings. I've been at this long enough to know what my maintenance calories are (at least based on how I estimate calories in and out), so I set my daily goal relative to that based on whether I want to gain, lose, or maintain.

As far macros... I tweak those periodically with the goal of maximizing workout performance while maintaining a certain protein minimum.
  • 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    Mine are custom. 160 calorie a day deficit. Not really to lose anymore,just keeps me honest. If I get too far below my goal I eat a little more for the next week or two.
  • allieallieoxenfree
    allieallieoxenfree Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I use the macrofit calculator & go by my TDEE (rather than my BMR, which is what MFP does). I don't like futzing around with eating back exercise calories--I just want to eat a certain amount every day.
  • nosebag1212
    nosebag1212 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I use bodymedia, MFP suggestions are awful imo, basically tells me to starve myself if I want to lose weight
  • gin_fb33
    Options
    I use Scooby's Home Workouts Calorie Calculator to set up my macros and calorie intake. Since I started using that and not MFP, I've been losing weight more steadily.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I do custom goals. MFP has you eat back exercise (which is why the calorie goal isn't actually as low as it seems), and I like to average my exercise over the week since I do a pretty consistent amount.

I also find that I do well (currently) on about 30% protein, 40% carbs, and 30% fat.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I set my own. I use a Body Media armband and it gives me the calories burned per day. So after tracking data and weight loss, I've adjusted my calorie intake based on my typical daily burn.