Treadmill VS Elliptical

Options
13»

Replies

• SKME2013
    SKME2013 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    I am a runner, so an elliptical is a perfect cross trainer for me. Easier on my joints. I use it with a heart rate monitor and yes it gives me less calories burned than when measuring with the handgrips.
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    let me CLARIFY..... I DO NOT RUN. Have no desire to. Just not my thing and never has been. I don't see that changing.

Second, the thing about clutching the grips was a JOKE. Please re-read. my tongue was FIRMLY planted in my cheek...

Third, I do buy good bras. It still sucks. Short of using duct tape... well lets just not go there... lol
  • kk1084
    kk1084 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I am unable to use a treadmill due to hip dysplasia :( Initially, I was totally bummed because I had JUST started running/using a treadmill for fitness and I was no longer allowed... so I started using the elliptical. I think it's all in how you use it, re: how "worth it" your work out will be... when I started, I started small and I pushed myself as far as I THOUGHT I could... turns out, I could go much harder for MUCH longer... now, I push myself to the limit every time and I never do less than an hour of straight use; alternating resistance and hitting 10-11 rpm religiously (anything else is "suuuuch a disappointment," says my work out ego). I get a nasty work out from this machine! I sweat profusely and I am TIRED by the end of it. I love my elliptical work out!! :) BUT, that having been said, who knows what I would say if I did not have restrictions placed on the treadmill...
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Wow, It sounds like you get good deals from your friends! I also suggest buying the elliptical and giving it a try. Don't sell the treadmill until you know that's the right decision.

Personally, I'd opt for a 'good' elliptical because it's better for the joints.
  • CodeMonkey78
    CodeMonkey78 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    let me CLARIFY..... I DO NOT RUN. Have no desire to. Just not my thing and never has been. I don't see that changing.

Second, the thing about clutching the grips was a JOKE. Please re-read. my tongue was FIRMLY planted in my cheek...

Third, I do buy good bras. It still sucks. Short of using duct tape... well lets just not go there... lol

To be clear, I wasn't trying to sell you on running. I was just putting it out there as an option b/c you were asking about which burned more Calories.

To reiterate:
    - Calorie burn is based off of exercise intensity -- not the actual exercise you do. You'll burn more Calories doing any exercise at full effort than going at an easy effort.
    - Even though I am a runner and have severe arthritis, I still love the elliptical to cross train. It is a good workout and is very easy on the joints.
    - I'd still recommend keeping both. It's good to cross train often and gives you an extra exercise option to do if you get bored with one. Doing any training at all is better than doing none.

I have no useful input about bras or securing your "girls", so I'll just remain quiet on that subject! :smile:

HTH!
  • Archerychickge
    Archerychickge Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    It wasn't just you CodeMonkey78, I kind of felt like a lot of folks were hinting that if I wasn't running I wasn't actually working out.... Trust me I sweat and I breathe hard from my time on the treadmill. I'm constantly trying different workouts to vary things and optimize my exercise.

I'm going to get the elliptical and use both. It sure can't hurt. Anything that gets me off my tushy and moving is a good thing in my book.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you aren't going to run, I definitely don't see the point in the treadmill. I would say you would be better off with an elliptical since you would be defeating the purpose of treadmill.
  • tdenriquez1159
    Options
    I prefer both, but i always try to switch them out every few weeks. If i had to choice it would be the elliptical. Easier on knees and joints plus feels like an overall workout.