First diet ever!

Options
Hello
I finally have decided to take charge of my life and lose weight- at 200 at 5 feet 2 inches
I have been reading on the keto diet and an confused as heck. The problem is I already eat very little. I was severely deficient in iron and don't have a thyroid, so I take synthroid.

My mainstay has been coffee with cream and an almond croissant from starbucks and for dinner I ear a normal meal in a restaurant.

My doc said what I was doing was intermittent fasting... but I do not see any weightloss. However I do know this- my insulin is off the charts and my fasting blood glucose is creeping up. So this is really critical for me to get in shape ...

I am not sure how to start with Keto, because it seems that I already eat very little carbs, Today morning I had a hypoglycemic episode and could not get out of bed, till I ate a cheese stick.

Could you recommend a forum for people starting on the keto diet. I have taken time off from work till Jan and hope this will be enough for me to get into ketosis.
right now I am starving, but am terrified of putting food into my mouth....

Replies

• missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I would recommend speaking to a dietician and a nutritionist, and come up with a plan based on your specific medical needs. Also, don't fear food. You need food to function.
  • jnv7594
    jnv7594 Posts: 983 Member
    Options
    14aegj7.jpg
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Firstdieteverever below is a link to one of the low carb forums that I find help as one new to keto this year.

community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group

Keep in mind there is nothing really magic about nutritional ketosis but I find it to be the first diet that I wanted to make my life style diet after trying it and still reading about it for 4.5 months at this point. I as others plan to eat this life style for the rest of our lives. No more cravings is so AWESOME.

Getting off sugar and grains in my case is helping more than just to lose weight.

If you make it across the learning curve this may be your last weight loss for life. Make Google your buddy. I now use Chrome so when reading the terms I do not know I just highlight and click to learn what they mean. :)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    You need to sit down and talk with a registered dietitian. Why do you want to go keto? You seem to have several medical problems, keto may be a solution, but then again it might not be, as carbs are a great source of calories, and you say you eat very little, so you may need some calories.

See a registered dietitian, there is NO ONE qualified on these boards to give you appropriate advice, based on your medical needs.

Also, intermittent fasting has nothing to do with weight loss, it's just a specific eating pattern.
  • Firstdieteverever
    Options
    This low carb thing was recommended by my doctor. I just don't know where to start.
    Because my food intake has been so low, I am not surprised by the low iron. The not eating business was not intentional, it is what made me feel good. But eating food would make me lethargic and sleepy and hurting everywhere. So I just sort of fell into the coffee with cream and croissant business.

I can totally do the keto diet from what I am reading here. I am prepared to feel like crap, I have 3 weeks to get into keto adaption, before I have to get back to work.
    But am fuzzy on the specifics.
    Right now I feel good, except for the super sleepiness when I don't eat. But I want to lose weight. I just don't want to screw it up and end up further in a hole.

I don't eat sugar anyway. My downfall has been wheat/rice, which is the fastest thing to make- that also makes me feel energetic before the slump.

Is half and half allowed during the keto induction period ? Black tea with milk makes me super happy...
  • Laurend224
    Laurend224 Posts: 1,748 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I finally have decided to take charge of my life and lose weight- at 200 at 5 feet 2 inches
    I have been reading on the keto diet and an confused as heck. The problem is I already eat very little. I was severely deficient in iron and don't have a thyroid, so I take synthroid.

My mainstay has been coffee with cream and an almond croissant from starbucks and for dinner I ear a normal meal in a restaurant.

My doc said what I was doing was intermittent fasting... but I do not see any weightloss. However I do know this- my insulin is off the charts and my fasting blood glucose is creeping up. So this is really critical for me to get in shape ...

I am not sure how to start with Keto, because it seems that I already eat very little carbs, Today morning I had a hypoglycemic episode and could not get out of bed, till I ate a cheese stick.

Could you recommend a forum for people starting on the keto diet. I have taken time off from work till Jan and hope this will be enough for me to get into ketosis.
    right now I am starving, but am terrified of putting food into my mouth....

If you aren't losing weight, you are eating more than you think. A "normal restaurant meal" packs a mighty big punch. Figure out your daily calorie allotment and eat within that. You will lose weight. See a dietician or your Doc to figure out where your macros (carbs, protein, and fats) should be, set those, and eat within them.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options

I am starving, but am terrified of putting food into my mouth.

I'm 5'2" and take Synthroid. According to the NIH (and my endocrinologist), there's no such thing as a thyroid diet. We lose weight just like everybody else—by eating fewer calories than we burn. There are hundreds of way to do that, one of which is low-carb (aka keto).

Start small: learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly. Logging is simple, but it ain't easy. Logging works. Eat "good" 80% of the time, and fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

MFP has a hypothyroidism & hyperthyroidism group: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/753-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Since your doctor to you to go this route just keep reading on the subject.

As you move to eating a high fat diet and get into nutritional ketosis full time you will need to be adjusting your insulin from what I read so stay with your doctor through all of this.

Forget weigh loss at this point in time and master getting into and staying in nutritional ketosis over the next month. The weight loss is more like a side effect I am finding. Once cravings stop eating habits can change. Eating 80% of one's calories as fat can be a chore at first.

Remember as a rule many of us get fat from eating too many carbs and eating Fats will makes losing fat easier. I did not learn that until six months ago.

Google this subject like crazy. Because coconut oil helps with my arthritis pain I am getting about 1500 of my Fat calories from coconut oil I melt in my coffee or tea.