What to do with green cabbage?

Options

Replies

• joshuaperson
    Options
    this may sound strange, but shredded green cabbage is great steamed and sprinkled with cinnamon, cocoa powder and stevia!
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    stir fry it with bacon.....

This. Add EVOO, onions, sausage, and just a little green pepper. De-friggin-licious!
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Boiled dinner!

^^^^ this. And then with leftovers ....
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I just sautee it sometimes. I like it.

• jomatho
    jomatho Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I chop it into big bite size pieces, toss with a little oil, salt and pepper and roast it in the oven like all of my other veggies - so good when it just starts to brown a little, kinda crisp-tender.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    jomatho wrote: »
    I chop it into big bite size pieces, toss with a little oil, salt and pepper and roast it in the oven like all of my other veggies - so good when it just starts to brown a little, kinda crisp-tender.

I love my brussel sprouts like this. And brussel sprouts are basically baby cabbages, so this sounds awesome.
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Chiming in late but you might have some left still.

Amish coleslaw. It just has a sweet and sour dressing on it. 1 part vinegar, 1 part sweetener or sugar and 2 parts water with a sprinkle of celery seed. If you have carrots then shred some of that in. You can eat it that way or drain it and then add a little mayo.

I like cabbage boiled with potatoes and onion. Add ham and you have a one dish meal.

You can also simmer it in pasta sauce. If you add ground meat it tastes like stuffed cabbage.
  • sheldonklein
    sheldonklein Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Cabbage and curry were made for each other. Saute with onion and any other cruciferous vegetables you might have. Add curry to taste (don't skimp) with just enough water or broth to make a thick stew.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ok we're having sausage tonight so I'll try the stir fry thing with some onions (we're out of peppers). And will probably make another batch of soup anyway...
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I love sauteed cabbage with either pork or ground sausage, flavor in the pan with some spicy mustard, lots of black pepper and a bit of salt... yummy.
  • totaldetermination
    totaldetermination Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    steamed and with a salsa sauce
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I eat it raw.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I like to saute onions and garlic, then add the cabbage (sliced somewhat thinly) to the pan and continue sauteing until it's crispy. It's good! Also, if you put shredded or sliced cabbage into a crockpot with turkey kielbasa and let it cook for a few hours, it's delicious.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Saute it, add some to your salads, ferment it...

I do all of the above...sauteing it with some apples and onions is my favorite though.
  • tberrycastle
    tberrycastle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Shred it and make a coleslaw, saute it with Parmesan cheese, garlic salt and pepper, or cook it along with any meat in oven or slow cooker.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    sauteing it with some apples and onions is my favorite though.

Yeah, this is a great way to do it.

Fabulous side with a pork chop. I might toss in some zucchini or something like that too.
  • ScientificExplorerGirl
    Options
    Saute with onions, garlic, and potatoes!
  • TrishP1961
    TrishP1961 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm Irish...The first thing that comes to mind for me is Corned Beef. Not sure if you can find it this time of year though. I always make it for St Patrick's Day. The salt from the corned beef makes the cabbage taste very good. When I lived in the South, it was common to have it at buffets with bacon. It tasted like the grease from the bacon was added in.
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    braise it! Or cole slaw...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i like it raw. slice it very thin. slice a head of lettuce very thin. season with salt, pepper, lemon or lime. Add cilantro. i love cabbage this way on top of tacos as a side at barbecues, whatever.
  • MapDancer
    MapDancer Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Our house favorite is Cabbage Pizza. I saute it half and half with onions till limp, then add a bit of salt and caraway seed, drain if needed and put it on a pizza crust with a bit of lowfat mozzerella - then bake on a pizza stone.