garcinia cambogia?

Options
mdove3411
mdove3411 Posts: 121 Member
Just wondering if anyone who has had success takes it? I heard that I could help in weight loss & I'm just curious what others results were. Ps. I know that eating right and exercising are the main ways to loose weight.. just wondering if this helps.

Replies

• maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    No idea if I am totally honest but I'd wager it would end up in the dumbest diets thread eventually having made your wallet significantly lighter. I may be wrong though
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Anything advertised for weight loss doesn't work. Don't waste your money.
  • Debmal77
    Debmal77 Posts: 4,770 Member
    Options
    here we go........
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    No. Look up studies,lawsuits and reviews on Amazon and Ripoff Report.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Snake oil. Save your money
  • maoribadger
    maoribadger Posts: 1,837 Member
    Options
    Hmm I actually went and googled it...

Garcinia cambogia, a tropical fruit also known as the Malabar tamarind, is a popular weight-loss supplement. People say it blocks your body's ability to make fat and it puts the brakes on your appetite. It could help keep blood sugar and cholesterol levels in check, too. You'll find it in bottles on the shelf at the store as well as mixed with other ingredients in diet products.

Does it live up to its hype? Maybe a little, but it might not be worth it.

How It Works

The active ingredient in the fruit's rind, hydroxycitric acid, or HCA, has boosted fat-burning and cut back appetite in studies. It appears to block an enzyme called citrate lyase, which your body uses to make fat. It also raises levels of the brain chemical serotonin, which may make you feel less hungry.

But actual weight loss results aren't impressive. A review published in the Journal of Obesity found that people who took garcinia cambogia in studies lost about 2 pounds more than people who didn't take it. The reviewers couldn't say for sure that the weight loss was because of the supplement. It could have been from the lower-calorie diet and exercise programs the people in the studies typically followed. Better studies are needed to find out if HCA really helps people lose a lot of weight and keep it off.
    Type 2 Diabetes and High Cholesterol

Garcinia cambogia may make it easier for your body to use glucose, the sugar your cells need for energy. Mice that got garcinia cambogia in one study had lower insulin levels than mice that didn't. That's another reason, besides weight loss, that people with diabetes are interested in it. However, if you're taking garcinia cambogia along with a medication to control your blood sugar, your glucose could get dangerously low.

Some research has found that garcinia cambogia can also improve cholesterol levels, lowering triglycerides and LDL (the "bad" cholesterol) and raising HDL (the "good" cholesterol). But you shouldn't use it if you're already on a prescription for your cholesterol.

Whole lotta Mays and Mights in there. It *may* help. I *may* be an olympic hurdler one day. I doubt it though. MFP is free and works and you already know that. Best of british :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    It tastes delicious when sprinkled on ice creams
  • sheshe32
    sheshe32 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My sister takes it, it does suppress her hunger. However, like anything, she always ends up going back to her crap eating habits (as a lot of us do). So the change is in what you eat, how you much you eat and exercise. Over the years I have found, everything works to a degree, but its the fact we are naturally inclined to quit, then over eat again and end up going back and forth like a yoyo (hence yoyo dieting LOL). But it does seem to work as a suppressant.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options
    There's a class action lawsuit against the distributors of this crap for false advertising. It's basically hydroxycut by another name. Remember that stuff? It was pulled off the shelves because it also contained crap like lots of caffeine, and there were too many consumer complaints. Don't waste your money.
  • whytejamaican
    Options
    Hi, mdove. I bought a special on a daily deal website for 3 bottles of garcinia cambogia earlier this year, so I figured you might want feedback from someone that took it.

I agree with some of the comments above, there are fake ones, but there is the real stuff sourced genuinely. The one I happened to get was the real stuff (I did my research). Unfortunately, I didn't take it consistently, so I might be a bad reviewer here. It did suppress my hunger and I was able to eat less and I didn't gain any weight, but I didn't lose any either (because I was still not changing my diet).

Ultimately (and I know we all hear it a hundred times before BUT) it is about a lifestyle change with food and exercise if you want to get the results. We're all suckers for the "easy and lazy way out", and that's what I was trying to do too when I bought it before. lol.
  • BeckyNaturoMommy
    BeckyNaturoMommy Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Any unnatural weightless can and does have negative consequences. You're better off doing the hard work so you have LASTING results.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Empty your wallet upside down over your couch. This way you're only temporarily losing your money. Eat at a caloric deficit and you'll lose.
  • brahmergirl
    brahmergirl Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have taken it for a few months but I do not take it like it recommends. I only take one pill a day along with a raspberry ketone. I do not think it is a miracle drug that sheds pounds, but I do think for me, it curbs my cravings keeping me from splurging on junk food. I also drink a lot of water, run several times (5Ks) and work out. I have started eating much healthier and all of this together has helped me maintain my loss of 22 pounds since this summer. I am very stressed with school right now and that is when I tend to stress eat, however, since being on this, I do not do this right now.

So my view is that it doesn't take the pounds off but it can help you when combined with other things such as diet and exercise to help you keep them off. Hope this helps!
  • BeckyNaturoMommy
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Empty your wallet upside down over your couch. This way you're only temporarily losing your money. Eat at a caloric deficit and you'll lose.

^^ This. BUT! Don't make your deficit too aggressive or you won't lose. Your body will hang onto it
  • SnuggleSmacks
    Options

^^ This. BUT! Don't make your deficit too aggressive or you won't lose. Your body will hang onto it

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Garcinia Cambogia, Raspberry ketones... all of it is complete BS. There are ZERO human studies that show that either aid in weight loss. There's only been studies with mice, and the dosage was huge, and not in an amount that would be orally consumed.
  • BeckyNaturoMommy
    edited December 2014
    Options
    auntrhon66 wrote: »

http://www.aworkoutroutine.com/starvation-mode/

Thanks for posting this. Why does everyone think that starvation mode is real when it's not...

Because I've seen it happen! With several people. They up their calories after a plateau. BAM! A week later, they're down a few pounds. Not every body works the same.

And @SnuggleSmacks, your little article doesn't say starvation mode doesn't exist, but that it's not exactly what everyone THINKS it is, and gave it a big fancy name, because they feel like they have to be an arrogant jerk in the article to get their point across. Adaptive Thermogenesis.
  • rjmwx81
    rjmwx81 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    None of this crap works. Until they put hard work and dedication in pill form, you'll just have to do it the old-fashioned way.
  • texasmom2013
    texasmom2013 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Basically if Dr. Oz says it's great, avoid it like the plague. He's such an advertising *kitten* who doesn't know medicine from a hole in the ground! He's about as much of a Dr. as Dr. Pepper.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Most sites I've looked at say there's insufficient data for supporting the theory that it aids weight loss and is generally only safe to take for 12 weeks or less ... There's no data on whether or not it interacts with other medications, and no data about how much of it is actually safe to take in one dose. So why bother?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!