I have a question about fish...

Options
I am not much of a fish person, I like really clean fried catfish, and thats about it. But I ate some kind of fish a while back, and it was really good, it was not fishy tasting, and was really white fish, I know it was an ocean fish, would anyone have any ideas about what kind of fish it may have been? I would like to get some fish in my diet. Help me out if you can, and how you would cook it? Thanks!!

Replies

• MoochieRama
    MoochieRama Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I go to SAMs Warehouse & buy a bag of Cod (I think that's the one you're talking about), they also have bags of Parmesan crusted tilapia (that's good), and I buy the bags of blackened salmon. My family really likes those.
  • melaniedelane
    melaniedelane Posts: 210 Member
    Options

I will try some Cod and see. Thanks!!!
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    If it was a not-so-fishy tasting ocean fish it was probably cod, haddock, or mahi-mahi.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,206 Member
    Options
    Fish should not smell or taste fishy, if it does, it isn't fresh. The above are right about the cod, haddock, tilapia and mahi-mahi are all good choices.
  • obscuremusicreference
    obscuremusicreference Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    I was just about to say mahi-mahi! That makes excellent tacos, by the way.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Tilapia?
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    You may want to give Flounder a try also. You can bake or pan fry . With a little bit of butter , salt , pepper, lemon juice. I also sprinkle a bit of parmesan cheese on them when they are almost done.
  • Debbjones
    Debbjones Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Any kind of white fish (Tilapia, flounder, cod...) will have a less fishy taste. I regularly consume fish and found all white fish have a similar taste.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I too appreciate all the fish input... thanks to the OP for posting your question to get all this great info :)
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Maybe halibut. That's the only really white and really tasty fish I know of.
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Might have been tilapia. Salmon is also good.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Cod, halibut and orange roughy are my favorite white fishes. My favorite way to cook them is steamed in a foil pouch in the oven with a little EVOO, lemon luice and garlic salt.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    mygnsac wrote: »
    Cod, halibut and orange roughy are my favorite white fishes. My favorite way to cook them is steamed in a foil pouch in the oven with a little EVOO, lemon luice and garlic salt.
    How long do you steam them?

• mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Usually about 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees.

15-20 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
  • pixie_mills
    pixie_mills Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Tuna steak is also not very fishy (although it is not white, so probably not the one you are looking for). My mum gave me Tuna steak when I was a wee girl and it seriously confused me that it was fish - I was a fussy git back then so it was a miracle I ate it lol
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Tilapia is my family favorite because it's mild and it ends up super white. Whiting looks exactly the same to me but has a stronger flavor. Haddock is my absolute favorite.

The comment about fish tasting fishy is right. Freezing, thawing and re-freezing fish will make it super smelly. Beware of where you purchase it from.
  • Hearts_2015
    Options
    Usually about 15-20 minutes at 400 degrees.

15-20 minutes in a 400 degree oven.
    Thanks! Looking forward to trying it :)
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Cod, halibut, mahi-mahi. I like cod the best and it's super cheap and super easy to cook.
  • rbfdac
    rbfdac Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    rbfdac wrote: »
    Cod, halibut, mahi-mahi. I like cod the best and it's super cheap and super easy to cook.

I should say I like cod from the grocery store the best. Fresh mahi-mahi would obviously be better than frozen cod.
  • melaniedelane
    melaniedelane Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info, I am going to try cod first, and see how that goes... :)