How to determine serving size

Options
My wife prepared a dish tonight called Hobo Casserole - very very good!
The recipe she used gives the provides the nutritional information. But here is where I always have a problem, determining how much I am putting on my plate. For bread, serving size is 1 slice-very easy to understand. For the Hobo Casserole the service size is 1 (223 g). So I put on my plate what seemed to be a reasonable amount, say what I might be served in a restaurant. But I don't know how much to record in MFP? Thanks

Replies

• no1texan
    no1texan Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just put Hobo Casserole in the search box and it came up. Except it shows 1 serving being 364 grams whereas the recipe says 223.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Did you use the recipe builder? if not, I would do my best at guesstimating the amounts in the recipe builder of MFP and go from there.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    no1texan wrote: »
    I just put Hobo Casserole in the search box and it came up. Except it shows 1 serving being 364 grams whereas the recipe says 223.

Yea, I saw that one, too, but It is someone else's home made casserole and you don't know what ingredients that were used.
  • MaryCS62
    MaryCS62 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I made beef stew tonight. After it was cooked, I measured it (I have a 12 cup measuring/mixing bowl). It was 8 cups, so 1/4 was 2 cups. If it's not easily divisible (ie, a square or round casserole dish) where you can make cuts for the number of servings, measuring by weight or volume is the only way to do it.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    I'd recommend entering the recipe into MFP's builder (you can just write down the ingredients and weight/measurement on a dry eraser board as you're making it, and then as it cooks you can enter that all into your builder), then determine how many servings that will make. You can do it by weight or by measurements. As mary suggested you can weigh or measure the total dish and then divide into your desired servings.

I personally use weight for everything, even dishes in round/square dishes, unless I plan on eating it all myself. If anyone else will eat it though I weigh the final recipe and use that to determine servings. E.g. if it all weighs 650 grams and I want to eat 200 grams, that's 0.31 (rounded) for my serving.