Lunch in a jar!

Options
Diet_Soda
Diet_Soda Posts: 124 Member
edited December 2014 in Food and Nutrition
Each weekend I fix my lunches for the week. I love using the jars because it makes warming up the lunch easy. This one is one of my favorites - buffalo chicken quinoa. My son also takes his lunch, but we have different thoughts on how you should eat it. I like mine layered, he likes his all mixed together. 309 calories and 32g of protein per lunch. Here they both are...which would you choose?

tnrq1ls4cs3w.jpg

Replies

• GiiaSoCrazii
    GiiaSoCrazii Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would have it mixed together so I could taste all the goodness at the same time. This looks really good FYI
  • GrammyPeachy
    GrammyPeachy Posts: 1,723 Member
    Options
    Mixed up. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yumminess! Mixed for me.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    mixed
  • walker306
    walker306 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Mixed…great idea!
  • Diet_Soda
    Options
    So many votes for mixed! I am truly outnumbered. :#
  • CarrieCans
    CarrieCans Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    All mixed up!

I love that you do food in jars, i have been doing it for years. Not just for canning but for anything and everything i can think of.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Mixed up. It looks quite yummy. Do you have a recipe to share?
  • Diet_Soda
    Options
    I don't have a recipe I follow, but here is what I do - I cook red quinoa in vegetable broth (I use 0.75 cup of quinoa and 1.5 cups of vegetable broth) as the base layer. Then I have chopped carrots and celery as the next layer, then cook one pound of ground chicken breast and toss it with buffalo sauce and add that layer. The final layer of mine is chopped no sugar added sweet pickles. I typically eat it with a wedge of Laughing Cow blue cheese, but I went to three stores this weekend and couldn't find it. Maybe they stopped carrying it. Boo! I went with spicy pepper jack and swiss instead. I will see if either taste good with it. Most of the time I make five lunches out of it, but this week I have a work Christmas lunch on Friday, so I made it four instead of five. :)
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    These are awesome .. I would go for layered!
  • Jams009
    Jams009 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Great idea. Layered for me... I'd like the option to taste things individually; I can always mix it up as I'm eating.
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    Mixed.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Mixed please! It looks great, I needed some new lunch ideas.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Diet_Soda wrote: »
    I don't have a recipe I follow, but here is what I do - I cook red quinoa in vegetable broth (I use 0.75 cup of quinoa and 1.5 cups of vegetable broth) as the base layer. Then I have chopped carrots and celery as the next layer, then cook one pound of ground chicken breast and toss it with buffalo sauce and add that layer. The final layer of mine is chopped no sugar added sweet pickles. I typically eat it with a wedge of Laughing Cow blue cheese, but I went to three stores this weekend and couldn't find it. Maybe they stopped carrying it. Boo! I went with spicy pepper jack and swiss instead. I will see if either taste good with it. Most of the time I make five lunches out of it, but this week I have a work Christmas lunch on Friday, so I made it four instead of five. :)

Thanks for this!
  • Ivelissegmorales
    Ivelissegmorales Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Layered! B)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    layered so I could mix and nibble as I wanted.