Should I lose more weight?

Options
I am 5ft and weigh 111lbs right now. I am very flabby. I belly and inner thighs are soft and squishy and if I sit there a big roll of fat in my belly which sticks out. Should I try to lose more weight? Or try to get everything tighter? Please advice.

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You'd probably benefit more from lifting weights.
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Taking a quick look at your profile, it appears you've lost a good amount of weight. Some of that "flab" could be extra skin.

But, if you're 5', and 11lbs, I'm going to bet that you're "skinnyfat" meaning that you have very little muscle to accompany your lower weight. The only way you're going to "get tighter" is to put on some muscle.
  • jeichelb83
    jeichelb83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I'm 5'2" and lost almost 40 lbs currently weighting about 112, but still have a gut and back flab. I'm definitely going to concentrate more on strength training and upping my calorie intake to support muscle growth.
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I dont have weights and access to gym. I am doing bodyweight exercises now but planning to get some adjustable dumb bells once I complete alpha round of T25. :D
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    sola24 wrote: »
    I am 5ft and weigh 111lbs right now. I am very flabby. I belly and inner thighs are soft and squishy and if I sit there a big roll of fat in my belly which sticks out. Should I try to lose more weight? Or try to get everything tighter? Please advice.

Try some heavy weight lifting. It's not the perfect solution, but it has helped me look more toned and added definition to my body. I can't believe the difference in my body since I started over a year ago.
  • ElizabethMaryam
    ElizabethMaryam Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    I dont have weights and access to gym. I am doing bodyweight exercises now but planning to get some adjustable dumb bells once I complete alpha round of T25. :D

Do what you can now. Use 2 water gallons, anything. Get creative. If you lose all the weight with no weight training then chances are you ended up skinny fat.

^^^ what mrm said. That's how I started. The hugs are easy to hold onto also :). Good luck :)
  • ElizabethMaryam
    Options
    *jugs ... Lol. Not hugs
  • GuyIncognito123
    GuyIncognito123 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    *jugs ... Lol. Not hugs
    I want that on a shirt, "Jugs, not hugs" lol
  • ElizabethMaryam
    Options
    *jugs ... Lol. Not hugs
    I want that on a shirt, "Jugs, not hugs" lol

Lol. Hahaha
  • peachyfuzzle
    peachyfuzzle Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Both hugs, and jugs are generally pretty easy to hold onto. ;P
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »

Why?
  • ElizabethMaryam
    Options
    Lifting weights will help you develop muscles and definition. It will also help you lose fat, as muscle burns more calories. Someone else could probably explain better; but that's a simple explanation :)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

Why?

Because lifting weights preserves your lean muscle mass and keeps you from looking "flabby". Weightloss is not the answer, here, weightlifting is. OP, look into body recomposition, because you are already at a great weight for your height. Losing more weight at this point would most likely only make you more unhappy with how you look.
  • LumberJacck
    LumberJacck Posts: 559 Member
    Options

Why?

Because lifting weights preserves your lean muscle mass and keeps you from looking "flabby". Weightloss is not the answer, here, weightlifting is. OP, look into body recomposition, because you are already at a great weight for your height. Losing more weight at this point would most likely only make you more unhappy with how you look.

So it's just about how you look?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    Not just about how one looks, but for a lot of people having a good self image is important.
    Including some kind of resistance training is also beneficial for ones health - so it would be a win/win situation for sola24.
    Cheers, h.
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights isn't about looks for me. There's the bone density thing.

Oh yeah, and having a punch like a freight train is one of those skills the modern lady should have. Just in case ;)
  • sola24
    sola24 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Not just about how one looks, but for a lot of people having a good self image is important.
    Including some kind of resistance training is also beneficial for ones health - so it would be a win/win situation for sola24.
    Cheers, h.

Thanks for the motivation. I definitely want to lose weight more. Right now I am just with bodyweight and some light pair of dumbbells but I guess I need to step it up! And hell yeah I wanna be a badass :D My 2015 resolution gonna be to learn Krav Maga martial arts. Lets see.. :D This forum never fails to motivate me when I feel low.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Why?

So it's just about how you look?

LOL, red herring, much?

If you are looking for benefits outside of looks, strength training has MUCH to offer. Especially as we age. Personally, I'm trying really hard not to become fragile in the years to come. I want my body to stay strong so that I don't have mobility issues. It takes more than cardio to do that. Strength training builds muscles as well as bone density, things that we would otherwise lose as time ticks on. Think of it as the fountain of youth.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Cheers, h.

Thanks for the motivation. I definitely want to lose weight more. Right now I am just with bodyweight and some light pair of dumbbells but I guess I need to step it up! And hell yeah I wanna be a badass :D My 2015 resolution gonna be to learn Krav Maga martial arts. Lets see.. :D This forum never fails to motivate me when I feel low.

The number on the scale means nothing really

changepci1.jpg

this is a google search (not me :wink:) - there's millions

- it's about musculature - light dumbbells and high reps will not help, it's almost pointless you need resistance