BMI seems like a wrong/bad goal?

Options

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    75% the measures agreed.

That's the thing - for most people, most of the time, BMI is a pretty good proxy. It's interesting to see some of the same people mocking others over non-belief in CICO proclaiming themselves special snowflakes when it comes to BMI.

Yes, it is very interesting how on a board that features so much collective mocking over "special snowflake" status (and often rightfully so), suddenly when discussions arise about non-fat weight ranges so many snowflakes suddenly drift down from above.

And yet, interestingly enough, 50 or so years ago the average person had no problem falling within the normal category in the very generous BMI range. Nowadays, however, it's all BS and so many claim to be outliers.

I think one reason is that in the past, BMI was never used as actively to monitor individuals as it is now. Because of that, the incidence/effect of outliers is much more noticeable.

In some ways, it's similar to Target Heart Rate and "training zones". We didn't care that much about the normal variability in heart rate response to exercise until we started measuring it.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If you want to see how people looked in the sixties, watch the films.

I think I'm in the last generation that doesn't have many films of how people looked when their parents and grandparents were young, which makes me feel old.

But take a look at the films of college kids and adults then and now. Eek!

We are a fat country. :(
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,081 Member
    Options
    zezelryck wrote: »
    I went by BMI when I set about losing my weight. Judge for yourself but I feel like it was spot on for me. Ok I understand I am not an athlete or a body builder (pregnant or adolescent), but I can easily swim a mile or walk for 10 miles. At 46 this is a result for me. Current BMI 23.8 PicsArt_1417779908259_zps1b91724f.jpg

BMI is a good guide when used in conjunction with clinical picture - ie with seeing the person's body.
    Yes, some people with well over average muscle mass have a high BMI without being overweight - but this is obvious by body appearance and the person is usually well aware of it too - like those with muscular avatars who.posted to say so.

However zezelryck has kindly posted a before pic of himself at high BMI - I think it is equally obvious that his high BMI was not from extreme muscle mass.

Likewise, when I had a BMI of 28 both my doctor and myself knew it was not from muscle mass either; my BMI put me in the overweight category because I was overweight.
    Now that I have a BMI of 23 I am a healthier weight.

Yes some people are large framed and some are small framed and this will affect what will be a healthy BMI for them. That's why healthy BMI is not a single number but a range.
    For most people a healthy weight will be BMI of between about 18 to 25.

Yes this does not apply to everyone - not relevant to elite body builders or women in late pregnancy or amputees or people with dwarfism etc - but I'm sure both their doctors and themselves will know if they are such an outlier and adjust their goals accordingly.

For the rest of us, which is most adult people, the BMI range does give a good indication.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    kyta32 wrote: »
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    Being out of range (overweight or obese) on the BMI scale regardless of whether it's because of muscle or fat, puts a strain on your heart which is essentially not good.

Being within the healthy range can still have the same consequences. If i am at the heavy end of the healthy area i am still too heavy unless it's muscle. If i am at the light end my Dr will have me admitted to a hospital and i will get a feeding tube. I have never been in the Underweight category but i can tell you that being close to it felt worse than being in the obese category.

That is precisely why it is a guide rather than a rule. Individual results may vary.

No. Being overweight and mostly muscle will still make your heart work harder than it needs to.

I was underweight my whole life and was the healthiest I've ever been. Felt the greatest I've ever felt so that's all individual based. Some people are naturally underweight.

Some people have a smaller frame size, and are healthier at a lower weight. Being low-weight does not always feel great. I was 116 pounds and 5'6" when I was 15, and was the most miserable I have ever been in my life. At a BMI of 18.7, I wasn't quite underweight, however I was tired, cold, and hungry all the time, out of shape, my fingernails were purple and blue due to poor oxygen circulation, and I was socially shunned. I was eating on $40/mth, around 800 calories a day from Mars bars and sunflower seeds, so I was suffering from malnutrition. Being skinny isn't a magical formula for health and happiness.

Right now I am obese (BMI of 30) and feel healthier than I ever have. I can do sit ups and push ups, get into the plow, jog for 1/2 hour steadily, keep up with my kids, have energy through a 2 hour karate class, and be refreshed after 7-8 hours sleep. I'm regular (was not at 116 pounds), my blood pressure and blood sugar levels are healthy, and my mood is generally stable, positive, and optimistic (was not at 116 pounds).

You were existing on a diet of candy bars and seeds. Your issue wasn't a low weight, it's as you stated, malnutrition. Of course you feel better now, as I assume your diet has improved exponentially, even with a high BMI.

Understand that most of the negatives associated with low weight stems from the under or malnutrition that is responsible for the low weight. If you were on a healthy regimen and still ended up back at a lower weight, understand that you would not be suffering from the horrible side effects that you did back then.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    BMI works very well for the vast majority of individuals. Everybody who is above the high end likes to claim they are "muscular". The fact is, doing a few sets of crunches and a few squats two or three days a week does not make you so muscular that you can be above the high end of the healthy BMI range and not be overweight...especially if you are female. For us to put on significant muscle weight takes A LOT of hard work lifting heavy weights and focusing on nutrition.

Professional athletes are exceptions because they spend huge amounts of time in weight rooms and have low body fat. If you are doing that as a hobby, great, you are one of the exceptions. But casual weight training for fitness purposes is NOT the same thing.

And while EVERYBODY can easily calculate BMI...all you need is a scale and your height, it is very difficult to get an accurate measure of body fat without spending a lot of money for a specialized body scan.

In fact, BMI might be too generous is some cases. If you have a small frame and are at the high end of BMI, you could STILL be overweight from a health perspective.

My basic point is this: if you have a BMI over 25 you are most likely overweight unless you are doing some SERIOUS weight training and KNOW that your body fat % is low. If you have love handles, or a pot belly, you are overweight. I don't care how "muscular" or "big boned" you think you are.

• kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    CarrieCans wrote: »
    Being out of range (overweight or obese) on the BMI scale regardless of whether it's because of muscle or fat, puts a strain on your heart which is essentially not good.

Being within the healthy range can still have the same consequences. If i am at the heavy end of the healthy area i am still too heavy unless it's muscle. If i am at the light end my Dr will have me admitted to a hospital and i will get a feeding tube. I have never been in the Underweight category but i can tell you that being close to it felt worse than being in the obese category.

That is precisely why it is a guide rather than a rule. Individual results may vary.

No. Being overweight and mostly muscle will still make your heart work harder than it needs to.

I was underweight my whole life and was the healthiest I've ever been. Felt the greatest I've ever felt so that's all individual based. Some people are naturally underweight.

Some people have a smaller frame size, and are healthier at a lower weight. Being low-weight does not always feel great. I was 116 pounds and 5'6" when I was 15, and was the most miserable I have ever been in my life. At a BMI of 18.7, I wasn't quite underweight, however I was tired, cold, and hungry all the time, out of shape, my fingernails were purple and blue due to poor oxygen circulation, and I was socially shunned. I was eating on $40/mth, around 800 calories a day from Mars bars and sunflower seeds, so I was suffering from malnutrition. Being skinny isn't a magical formula for health and happiness.

Right now I am obese (BMI of 30) and feel healthier than I ever have. I can do sit ups and push ups, get into the plow, jog for 1/2 hour steadily, keep up with my kids, have energy through a 2 hour karate class, and be refreshed after 7-8 hours sleep. I'm regular (was not at 116 pounds), my blood pressure and blood sugar levels are healthy, and my mood is generally stable, positive, and optimistic (was not at 116 pounds).

You were existing on a diet of candy bars and seeds. Your issue wasn't a low weight, it's as you stated, malnutrition. Of course you feel better now, as I assume your diet has improved exponentially, even with a high BMI.

Understand that most of the negatives associated with low weight stems from the under or malnutrition that is responsible for the low weight. If you were on a healthy regimen and still ended up back at a lower weight, understand that you would not be suffering from the horrible side effects that you did back then.

I agree that my issue at the time was not just the number on the scale. However, I don't think health and happiness are only linked with low scale numbers. In April of this year I was again eating a very similar diet, mainly peanut butter and chocolate chips, for probably about $50/mth, but I was 296 pounds. I wasn't healthy, or active, but I was a lot less miserable than I was at 116 pounds. I feel better at 195 and active, but lower isn't always better. 116 pounds was what I weighed at the lowest part of my life, and that was for a number of reasons, not just that I was cold, hungry, and exhausted all the time. Low weight isn't a magical cure-all. I feel better at a higher weight. I have more energy, physical and mental. People like me better (my daughters and boyfriend complain about the change in my appearance, and are inconvenienced by my new eating habits and exercise). And, being at a higher weight due to my own actions feels more powerful than being underweight and being able to do nothing about it. My mental stress has always had a bigger impact on my health than my weight.

I'm currently 5'8", so 116 would be underweight for me now, and is not my weight loss goal, nor would I consider it realistic. Keep in mind, I had been eating under 800 calories for at least a year to be at 116 then. I don't see how any healthy regimen would get me back there. If I'm wrong, please show me an 800 calorie/day diet that contains RDAs for micronutrients and has at least 30g fat, 45g protein, and 25g fiber, bonus points if it costs less than $40/mth (see, I've already planned out the first 460 calories). If my weight falls to 116 again it will probably be due to illness.

Which takes me back to my point, which may be a little tangential, that health and happiness are big picture items. BMI is just one part of the puzzle.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I'm in the ideal or fitness bodyfat range for a woman of my age who isn't trying to bodybuild (whoever decides what the optimal range is though, right?--i'm just talking according to random bf charts). However, I'm 35 pounds overweight according to BMI. I'm a powerlifter. I am much more concerned about body composition, really.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I'm in the ideal or fitness bodyfat range for a woman of my age who isn't trying to bodybuild (whoever decides what the optimal range is though, right?--i'm just talking according to random bf charts). However, I'm 35 pounds overweight according to BMI. I'm a powerlifter. I am much more concerned about body composition, really.
    35 lbs. over the top of the 'normal BMI' range, or the middle, or bottom? That's a lot of muscle, if the top!

• Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm currently 5'8", so 116 would be underweight for me now, and is not my weight loss goal, nor would I consider it realistic. Keep in mind, I had been eating under 800 calories for at least a year to be at 116 then. I don't see how any healthy regimen would get me back there. If I'm wrong, please show me an 800 calorie/day diet that contains RDAs for micronutrients and has at least 30g fat, 45g protein, and 25g fiber, bonus points if it costs less than $40/mth (see, I've already planned out the first 460 calories). If my weight falls to 116 again it will probably be due to illness.

I didn't say, or imply, that you should or could get back to 116 lbs. That's rather inconsequential to me, and you know your body better than I ever could, obviously.

I was making a point that theoretically IF following a healthier regiment was to land you back at 116 lbs, you'd more than likely feel much better, even at that lower weight. I was making a statement about your malnourishment, the weight was incidental.
  • kyta32
    kyta32 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

I didn't say, or imply, that you should or could get back to 116 lbs. That's rather inconsequential to me, and you know your body better than I ever could, obviously.

I was making a point that theoretically IF following a healthier regiment was to land you back at 116 lbs, you'd more than likely feel much better, even at that lower weight. I was making a statement about your malnourishment, the weight was incidental.

So you are saying I would feel better at a weight that is unhealthy for me and unsustainable? You are saying this after acknowledging that I know my body better than you could? Your point is I would be healthier simply because it is a lower scale number than my current one? Why stop at 116? Wouldn't I be healthier still at 100? or 70? Silly me, having a goal weight of 140 when clearly less is more.

If you don't know someone, it is a little irresponsible to tell them they will be better off at a BMI below the healthy range, especially as you are aware of the extreme measures required to get there and the accompanying health risks. Those who find they need to be lower than normal BMI to be healthy are outliers, and that is something only their doctors are qualified to discuss with them.

I must say I agree with you that other factors often make a bigger difference than than number on the scale when it comes to health and happiness. Wishing both to you :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

So you are saying I would feel better at a weight that is unhealthy for me and unsustainable? You are saying this after acknowledging that I know my body better than you could? Your point is I would be healthier simply because it is a lower scale number than my current one? Why stop at 116? Wouldn't I be healthier still at 100? or 70? Silly me, having a goal weight of 140 when clearly less is more.

If you don't know someone, it is a little irresponsible to tell them they will be better off at a BMI below the healthy range, especially as you are aware of the extreme measures required to get there and the accompanying health risks. Those who find they need to be lower than normal BMI to be healthy are outliers, and that is something only their doctors are qualified to discuss with them.

I must say I agree with you that other factors often make a bigger difference than than number on the scale when it comes to health and happiness. Wishing both to you :)

Oh my goodness. She is NOT saying someone would be better off at a BMI below the healthy range. She is saying that being 5'8" and 116 lbs wasn't the problem. Eating less than 800 calories a day and being malnourished was the problem. If you had been properly feeding your body, you wouldn't have felt cold, hungry, and shaky at 5'8" and 116 lbs.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

Oh my goodness. She is NOT saying someone would be better off at a BMI below the healthy range. She is saying that being 5'8" and 116 lbs wasn't the problem. Eating less than 800 calories a day and being malnourished was the problem. If you had been properly feeding your body, you wouldn't have felt cold, hungry, and shaky at 5'8" and 116 lbs.

Yup, no causal connection whatsoever between those two issues. None at all. And at 5'8" 116lbs IS underweight.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Yup, no causal connection whatsoever between those two issues. None at all. And at 5'8" 116lbs IS underweight.

There are plenty of individuals who are underweight who are NOT malnourished. Someone can be underweight and still get proper nutrition. I was a perfect example of that.

Then there are individuals who are underweight AND malnourished. At 5'8" and 116 lbs, Kyta was BARELY underweight. She felt the way she did because she was living off of less than 800 calories a day made up primarily of peanut butter and chocolate chips.

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

There are plenty of individuals who are underweight who are NOT malnourished. Someone can be underweight and still get proper nutrition. I was a perfect example of that.

Then there are individuals who are underweight AND malnourished. At 5'8" and 116 lbs, Kyta was BARELY underweight. She felt the way she did because she was living off of less than 800 calories a day made up primarily of peanut butter and chocolate chips.

But, while some people are very healthy at a lower weight because of frame size, not everyone is. For some people underweight for them is within the healthy BMI range. For other people underweight is BMI 17.5 (or something). And she was correct to say an individual discusses that with their own doctor. It's pretty evident that when it comes to frame size we are most definitely not all the same (along with many other aspects of our body type). We aren't cookie cutter bodies.

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options

But, while some people are very healthy at a lower weight because of frame size, not everyone is. For some people underweight for them is within the healthy BMI range. For other people underweight is BMI 17.5 (or something). And she was correct to say an individual discusses that with their own doctor. It's pretty evident that when it comes to frame size we are most definitely not all the same (along with many other aspects of our body type). We aren't cookie cutter bodies.

I don't think frame size has much to do with it. I think it's muscle/fat percentage more than anything.
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Aviva92 wrote: »

I don't think frame size has much to do with it. I think it's muscle/fat percentage more than anything.

It's a combination of a lot of things. Frame size, muscle, fat, boobs, etc. But frame size will absolutely have an influence. Like I already said, my rib cage is 25 inches at the widest point (23 inch waist). And I'm short. This means there is less space in my body. My organs are smaller. Due to less space there is simply less fat and muscle on me than someone at the equivalent fitness status that has a larger frame. It's pretty basic. That doesn't mean I can't build more muscle. I certainly could. But even if I was built up as much as I could, I would still weigh less than someone at that same fitness level that has a 38 inch rib cage from bone structure (same height).

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options

It's a combination of a lot of things. Frame size, muscle, fat, boobs, etc. But frame size will absolutely have an influence. Like I already said, my rib cage is 25 inches at the widest point (23 inch waist). And I'm short. This means there is less space in my body. My organs are smaller. Due to less space there is simply less fat and muscle on me than someone at the equivalent fitness status that has a larger frame. It's pretty basic. That doesn't mean I can't build more muscle. I certainly could. But even if I was built up as much as I could, I would still weigh less than someone at that same fitness level that has a 38 inch rib cage from bone structure (same height).

Don't forget race either.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options

I have a wide ribcage and very wide hips, but I'm still a low weight naturally (slightly underweight based on bmi). I think it's mostly due to not having muscles and due to not having boobs.
  • BinaryPulsar
    edited December 2014
    Options

I have a wide ribcage and very wide hips, but I'm still a low weight naturally (bordering on underweight based on bmi). I think it's mostly due to not having muscles.

For you it is. I'm a dancer and I lift heavy weights. But, I am at a low weight because I am naturally quite small. I have some decent muscle. I don't have tons of muscle. I'm not comparible to a body builder or powerlifter. But, bikini competitors with my frame are at the same weight and measurements as I am.

We all just need to understand the variation. And stop thinking, "For me it's like this, so I'm applying that to everyone". That's when all kinds of confusion happens. People start telling people they could lose weight (when they shouldn't), telling people to gain (when they don't need to), or making judgements that a person feels insulted by or knows is not correct. It leads to frustration and circular, long conversations.

• QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

And living off 800 calories a day had NOTHING to do with WHY she was underweight? It was clearly NOT a healthy weight for her. I'm not saying it's *impossible* to be that height and that weight and be healthy, but clearly she was not.

I'm also 5'8" and no amount of "eating proper nutrition" would make 116lbs a healthy weight for me, ever. Hell even 124lb isn't healthy for me and that's a number that *is* considered healthy for someone my height, but given that my LBM is 124lbs, to get their I'd have to lose bone density or allow muscle atrophy, or be at 0% BF, NONE of which would be healthy.