Injury frustration

Hi, I am on day 49 of logging in to MFP. I have lost 11 pounds so far and work out just about every day. My problem is is that I do really good for a while and then I get some kind of injury and give up. Well, i injured my knee over the weekend and it was feeling a little better so I tried to exercise this morning and it's now a lot worse to where I can barely walk on it. I watch what I eat but 1200 calories is really hard to do every day. I usually burn about 400-500 calories a day exercising so that I can eat about 1500-1600 calories. Now that I can't do my normal exercises, I'm so worried that I am going to give up again. There are only certain exercises I enjoy that I know I will stick with. Any suggestions on how not to give up especially this time of the year with all the Holiday get togethers?

Replies

• htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    How did you injure it? If you get repeated injuries, then perhaps your form is wrong or you're overworking yourself instead of pacing yourself. But I'm only speculating since you didn't give too many details.

I can speak to myself as I've had runner's knee off and on for the past five months, from running. I went to PT and found out I need to strengthen my hips and hamstrings. So I have exercises to address my muscular imbalances and have gone to running clinics to learn better form, which also plays a big part in my injury. New shoes are on my to-do list as well. For immediate soreness/pain-remember RICE-rest, ice, compression, elevation. If the injury is soft tissue related (muscles, ligaments, etc), use this to help treat inflammation.
  • klkc2005
    klkc2005 Posts: 41 Member
    Thank you. I hurt it doing zumba. I hate exercising so I do zumba and dance. I have had issues with my knees and ankles most of my life. I think i was overdoing it. Even though I'm losing at a very steady pace of about 1.5 pounds a week, I wanted to lose it faster. Faster is never better for me.
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    klkc2005 wrote: »
    Thank you. I hurt it doing zumba. I hate exercising so I do zumba and dance. I have had issues with my knees and ankles most of my life. I think i was overdoing it. Even though I'm losing at a very steady pace of about 1.5 pounds a week, I wanted to lose it faster. Faster is never better for me.

Since you have a history ofr knee/ankle problems, I'd see a orthopaedic doctor and stop with the Zumba.
  • atynk
    atynk Posts: 400 Member
    I'm in the same boat. I typically burn a ton of calories doing crossfit hockey and soccer. but I re-tore my knee during soccer.. I was losing 2 lbs a week and now since i had to take 2 weeks off to do nothing im not losing :( I went on pinterest and found a few upper body only workout video, or google upper body cardio. you can do it in a chair. another great thing is swimming. its amazing for your arms, and i just let my legs drag behind me! good luck and feel better!
  • klkc2005
    klkc2005 Posts: 41 Member
    I wish I had easy access to a pool. If I have to go somewhere to work out, i'm not going to do it. It's sad but true. I am going to look into the arm and upper body exercises.