Fitness tracker?

Options
I am wanting to get a fitness tracker but I am undecided on which to get? Who has one.. what brand do you have? I have a couple of questions about them. I was looking at the Garmin Vivofit then I read that it doesn't track your calorie burn for all workouts only steps/jogging. Is this true and if so which one does count the calories burned in a wide range of workouts? I am doing research and I don't know If I am understanding right but it seems like if its paired with a HRM then it will tell you the calories burned during a workout... is this true?

I know nothing about them lol.

Replies

• DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    Well I just got my vivofit and just like everything, it has pro's and cons. If you have the heart rate chest strap it can track your W/O's. But you have to sync it with a device to see the W/O. But it has a lot of information that you can get from it. I like that it has a meter that turns red to let you know that you have been inactive for to long. You can adjust the steps per day via the web interface.
    Cons; it will not give you a H/R reading w/o the chest strap (extra), you need to buy watch strap bands to insure the Vivo doesn't fall off and you lose it. It doesn't have a back light so you can't read it in the dark. It does have time and date but no alarm (to my knowledge). Also, it does not sync with the gear at the gym (again TMK).
    It will sync with MFP and update, you can friend others through the web interface and join others in challenges.
    Feel free to look at my page for the GUI console @ http://connect.garmin.com/modern/ if interested in seeing my console message me for my profile name.
    I haven't had time to read through the manual to see what else it can do but all in all especially for the cost I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.
    BTW I got mine on Amazon prime with the chest strap and 12 watch strap bands for 129 including tax.
    Good luck I hope that this helps.
    V/r,
    DW.
  • mdove3411
    mdove3411 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    Well I just got my vivofit and just like everything, it has pro's and cons. If you have the heart rate chest strap it can track your W/O's. But you have to sync it with a device to see the W/O. But it has a lot of information that you can get from it. I like that it has a meter that turns red to let you know that you have been inactive for to long. You can adjust the steps per day via the web interface.
    Cons; it will not give you a H/R reading w/o the chest strap (extra), you need to buy watch strap bands to insure the Vivo doesn't fall off and you lose it. It doesn't have a back light so you can't read it in the dark. It does have time and date but no alarm (to my knowledge). Also, it does not sync with the gear at the gym (again TMK).
    It will sync with MFP and update, you can friend others through the web interface and join others in challenges.
    Feel free to look at my page for the GUI console @ http://connect.garmin.com/modern/ if interested in seeing my console message me for my profile name.
    I haven't had time to read through the manual to see what else it can do but all in all especially for the cost I'd give it a 7.5 out of 10.
    BTW I got mine on Amazon prime with the chest strap and 12 watch strap bands for 129 including tax.
    Good luck I hope that this helps.
    V/r,
    DW.

Hi! Thanks for the information. I am looking at it on amazon as a bundle deal that says it come with the HRM... will this be in a chest strap form? Here is the link to the one I am looking at

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HFPOVE4/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3H9V1EMGQSHX7

Is that the one you ordered with the chest strap and 12 watch strap bands ?
  • Connie2858
    Connie2858 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a VivoFit and love it. For the money it does everything I need it to. I especially like the challenges on line. They keep me going and motivated to get on the treadmill and walk more so I can be number one in the challenge. It does everything that DW says. The no-back light sometime is a bother but I feel after lots of research this is the best for your money. Do your research and you will get what you are looking for.
  • DWBalboa
    Options
    That looks like the same one, it was 119 and then the extra 12 clasp were like 4 bucks extra.
    Feel free to ask any other questions.
    DW.
  • mdove3411
    Options
    That looks like the same one, it was 119 and then the extra 12 clasp were like 4 bucks extra.
    DW.

Do you know if there is a wrist HRM for it or is It only a chest one?
  • frojive
    frojive Posts: 13 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    If you want something that will let you know your calorie burn my suggestion is to wait until the UP3 is released, or if you can't wait until then (which I am told January 2015) You might want to consider the Basis Peak and maybe the FitBit Charge HR.

The big difference is that the FitBit HR and Peak use an optical heart rate monitor and there has been test that show they are not very accurate. Look up Cnets review or these type of HR monitors. This is key because it would use this inaccurate information to calculate your caloric burn. UP3 will not have an constant heart rate monitor this doesn’t bother me I would rather have a more accurate calorie burn then what my heart rate is currently.

What separates the UP3 & Peak from Fitbit is auto detection of activities. This is a nice feature and one I am looking forward to. This helps when it comes to sleep monitoring. UP3 and Peak are also water proof.

Something to also look into. The Peak does not at this time feed into MFP! Fitbit and UP do! Also look at the smartphone application user experience. Some are better than others and Fitbit and UP are usally very highly rated.

I can tell you that just a year ago hands down bodybug was the best fitness wearable out there. Jawbone bought that company out. You take that tech and combine it with the app of UP it should be a good combo. I am personally going to hold out for the UP3. All and all it is only trying to be a fitness tracker where the Peak is trying to be more. Why does it matter, because I want the company to be concerned with accurate fitness information not trying to figure out how to alert me of call waiting. I have used several fitbit products and loved them but they are using an optical heart rate monitor.

Ultimately it is up to you.
  • release_the_kraken
    release_the_kraken Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I'm waiting for the Fitbit Charge HR. I had a Polar but hated the chest strap. The Charge HR has good reviews and comes out really soon, some already have it. It uses an optical HR reader in the band.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Jawbone Up is $30 at Best Buy today in a couple of colors/sizes (ETA: online, at least. Not sure about in-store). If you're unsure of what you want, that price point kind of allows you to see what it's all about, decide what features are important to you, and if you want to replace it later you can.
  • joelprudhomme2
    joelprudhomme2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I have been using the UP band for 1 1/2 year. I love it, they are really accurate and the app integrates with some many other things. I agree to wait for the UP3 it will most definitely be the best affordable tracker on the market, and with the new design will be easier to take care of and wear. Also it will be water resistant up to 10 meters. Not sure what other brands are going to be water proof.

...If that wasn't enough for you the UP3 is also the best looking band. Later in 2015 Jawbone has plans for different colors and woven and leather straps. The thing looks like a device of the future. lol

check it out Jawbone.com/blog
  • joelprudhomme2
    joelprudhomme2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    Jawbone Up is $30 at Best Buy today in a couple of colors/sizes (ETA: online, at least. Not sure about in-store). If you're unsure of what you want, that price point kind of allows you to see what it's all about, decide what features are important to you, and if you want to replace it later you can.

That awesome they costed 129 when they were released...is the UP24 on sale too?!
  • frojive
    frojive Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have been using the UP band for 1 1/2 year. I love it, they are really accurate and the app integrates with some many other things. I agree to wait for the UP3 it will most definitely be the best affordable tracker on the market, and with the new design will be easier to take care of and wear. Also it will be water resistant up to 10 meters. Not sure what other brands are going to be water proof.

...If that wasn't enough for you the UP3 is also the best looking band. Later in 2015 Jawbone has plans for different colors and woven and leather straps. The thing looks like a device of the future. lol

check it out Jawbone.com/blog

Best move jawbone ever made was to buy bodybug because before that it was behind the curve as an overgrown pedometor.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    mdove3411 wrote: »
    DW.

There's a few out on the market. The one I currently playing with is the Mio Fuse. It's pretty darn accurate. It's also an activity tracker where it counts your steps, distance and calories burned but it doesn't track flight of stairs or your sleep.
  • DWBalboa
    Options
    DW.

No just the chest, that is a down fall of it.
  • cich86
    cich86 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So waiting for the up3. Really excited!
  • mdove3411
    Options
    I was watching a review on them that was done with a doctor and he was saying that the chest HRM would be way more accurate than a built in wrist one... anyone had any experience with this?
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I was watching a review on them that was done with a doctor and he was saying that the chest HRM would be way more accurate than a built in wrist one... anyone had any experience with this?

DC Rainmaker has released a indepth review of the Mio Fuse and in his review, he compares it alongside with a traditional HRM strap.

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2014/12/fuse-depth-review.html

I own one and when I did my testing, I didn't have the cold weather issues he talks about in his review.