Need a recipe for tuna steaks

Options
Bearbrat
Bearbrat Posts: 230
I've been searching for a good recipe for tuna steaks and also need to know how long to cook them so they don't come out dry. I plan on cooking them on the grill. Any help would be great :flowerforyou:

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite tuna steak recipe ... sweet and sour tuna, done Sicilian style:

http://www.ciaoitalia.com/seasons/20/2013/sweet-and-sour-tuna

The version of this I've made several times is from Marcella Hazan's "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking", and it quarters the tuna steaks rather than cubing them, and doesn't dredge them in flour first. I replace the sugar with Stevia or Nectresse, and cut down on the amount ... a lot of Sicilian dishes are overly sweet to me (my grandmother used to put sugar in her tomato sauce). Dried mint leaves work fine in the recipe ... but you have to have the mint.

It calls for cooking in a pan, but it should work if you cooked up the sauce and onions separately and poured it over the grilled fish.
  • u0904058
    u0904058 Posts: 19
    Options
    You can make tuna burger
    Chop the tuna into small chunks, then carry on chopping until the tuna is roughly minced. Tip the tuna into a bowl and mix with the garlic, ginger, soy sauce and coriander. Shape into two burgers, place on a plate, then freeze for 10 mins to firm up. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, then cook the burgers for 1-2 mins on each side or until done to your liking. Serve the burgers in toasted buns with lettuce, tomato and avocado or you can serve it with rice and salad
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    The version of this I've made several times is from Marcella Hazan's "Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking"

Wrong cookbook ... the recipe I like to use is in "The Italian Country Table", by Lynne Rossetto Kasper. BTW, it works well with salmon steaks, too.
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Don't cook it! Tuna tartare with hunks of avocado, cilantro, and mango.
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

yip, Don't ruin it.

Or lightly seal it and serve with a nicoise salad ( google it)
  • Bearbrat
    Options
    Thank you!!! This was actually part of my question and I don't think I really knew exactly how to ask it. Having tuna steaks out is always really great, but I've had family members who basically cook it to death and it's terrible.
  • Bearbrat
    Options
    Thanks everyone, I'm going to be trying all of these!!! One really cool thing I've discovered on this new journey/lifestyle is all the truly great food I can eat, I love it.