CALORIES CONSUMED / BURNED (Tracking Thoughts)

Options
There are always going to be conflicting numbers when tracking depending upon the source, how measured etc. I decided last year to go with the lower number on calories burned and higher number on calories consumed assuming somewhere throughout the week I missed something (like 5 sugarless cough drops at 7 calories ea. LOL) without driving myself nuts.

Re: Exercise – Today – I decided to check MFP against the treadmill I use at PF; Put in weight; time; pace – MFP said I burned 172 and the LifeStyle Treadmill said – 182; Close enough – I always record the most conservative – so 172 is it.

Re: Food – I had 3 oz. of Perdue Oven Roasted Rotisserie Chicken for lunch – MFP shows 170 calories; fatsecret = 140; CalorieCount had 170 calories (mixed light dark meat) – although I only eat the white meat (no skin), I still record as the higher 170 calories;

Again - just sharing thoughts.

73641431.png

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I always over estimate food and under estimate burned. It worked well for my weightloss as well as now maintenance.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, I was successful at dropping 80 lbs. I didn't bother recording what I ate. I simply ate what was in the ballpark of 500 calories at each of three meals. That actually worked better for me than what I'm currently doing, which is similar to what you are saying.
  • NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    I always over estimate food and under estimate burned. It worked well for my weightloss as well as now maintenance.

Gotta say - its worked for over 1 year and I'm thrilled. I should be in maintenance by the end of February and hope it continues to work like it has for you. Just noticed on my ticker that I'll need to re-set that 173 lb loss goal soon, as I plan to lose about 20 more ponds than orig planned. Best of luck in maintenance - I realize that is the hard part - keeping it all off!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If you are that bothered, then get a hrm. People often overestimate their own effort as well. Most of the machines are unreliable for burns, they even have a warning saying so.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I had a HRM (then it broke lol) and it actually had me burning more on the treadmill and elliptical than the machines said. They're very old machines at my gym though.

I don't eat back exercise calories anyway so I suppose it doesn't really matter, but if I do a class for example, I always use a much lower number than MFP wants to give me. I do weigh the majority of my food and my logging is very accurate, but I do think it's best to overestimate to be on the safe side.