Trainer or NOT

Options
13»

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    First off let me say, I hate exercising. Don't know why, but I do. I plan to change that. I met with a personal training and thinking about letting him train me. Was told I train 2 times a week and follow a meal plan by him. I have to text him my meals every 2.5 hrs. No eating after 8 pm. Workouts with him will be a hr on training days. Days I'm not training with him, I need to be in the gym. Weigh in once per week. His training consist of running, planks, lots of outside exercise, etc. I know it is going to be very hard but worth it if I can hang in there. My question is, is a trainer necessary for someone like me or should I just clean eat and force myself to the gym at least 4-5 times per week for an hr? I just don't want to waste money. The gym I am joining is Planet Fitness and I know they have some trainers there as well.
    Sounds like the "trainer's" knowledge is based on fitness broscience. Eating every 2.5 hours isn't needed, especially if you're not hungry.
    One thing that you SHOULD get from a trainer is proper exercise instruction on execution and form. Ask WHY you should be performing those exercises. No real reason to do planks unless your focus is specifically core. Correct instruction and execution will ALWAYS involve core work and stability.
    Anyway, from my decades of familiarity on fitness and the fitness industry, I will say that a trainer can be a waste of money if they are just applying "cookie cutter" techniques to just have you as a client.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Wow. Really good information. Thank you everyone.

To answer a few questions, no I do not believe the trainer is a certified nutrition. He did state that he needs our blood type to know what foods will be allowed and not while on his plan. This will be a question that I will ask him.

There are two questions here:

1) Should I hire a trainer--you've gotten plenty of responses pro and con

2) Should you hire THIS particular trainer? For that my response would be NO. There are more red flags here than a May Day parade in Beijing.

a) he is not a registered/licensed dietitian so what he is proposing is unprofessional, unethical and beyond his scope of practice.

b) he sounds like a controlling narcissist (seriously, text him multiple times a day about food intake

c) he does not seem to have a basic knowledge of human anatomy--i.e. he does not know his *kitten* from his elbow. Don't eat after 8pm? Blood type eating plan?
    Fraud, fraud, fraud, fraud, fraud. What's he going to try to sell you next--magnetized toe rings?

d) I am betting, just from the overall vibes I'm getting, that this guy has a "one size fits all" exercise plan as well that is not going to be appropriate for your current ability and fitness level.

A trainer might be a good idea for you, but I would run, not walk, away from this guy as fast as possible and would not invest a penny with him.
  • maryalicejohn
    maryalicejohn Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If they can motivate you and help you learn what exercises work for your body- I say go for it! And once you're on your way, you might want to talk to him/her about some weight and strength training if they already haven't incorporated that.
  • icu814me2
    icu814me2 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Lost 90 since February and have added a lot of muscle. I owe at least half of my success to my trainer!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Anyone who told me I couldn't eat after 8pm or even that I couldn't eat certain foods while he trained me would be a NO FRICKIN' WAY. A good trainer will help you find the right exercises for you, that work, but they won't tell you to stop eating after 8pm, cause that's *kitten*.
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    After hearing about the blood type diet thing he is talking about I'd pass on him and talk with another.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Wow. Really good information. Thank you everyone.

To answer a few questions, no I do not believe the trainer is a certified nutrition. He did state that he needs our blood type to know what foods will be allowed and not while on his plan. This will be a question that I will ask him.

do not go to that trainer.

he's an idiot.

+1 anyone who believes in blood type diets doesn't know anything about nutritional science or they wouldn't be pushing that crap.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person being trained, their goals, and the trainer. Just like any profession there are good trainers and bad trainers. Some people thrive on accountability, others do fine on their own. It all depends.

Personally I've been working with a PT for 2.5 years and wouldn't have it any other way. Eventually I probably won't be able to afford it, but until then, I'm loving it! My original trainer did not have a nutrition degree, but he did have years of experience and was able to give me tips on how to start eating healthier than I was. He was the only person in my life asking me what I ate, weighing me in, etc. It was a wake up call and an eye opening experience. I enjoyed the variety of exercises that challenged me and I learned how to workout. He gave me basics on HR zones, taught me proper form, etc. We developed a great friendship and I believe he truly helped me change my life. Due to a few outside factors I recently switched to a different trainer and am focused on performance training. Again, loving the accountability.

It is always important to note that even with a PT, you still have to put in a heck of a lot of work. Daily decisions effect your weight loss and fitness levels. It doesn't matter if you pay $50 an hour once a week to get your butt kicked - if you eat too much and sit on the couch the rest of the week, you won't see results.

Best of luck OP - make sure you find a good PT if you decide to go with one!!
  • akboy58
    akboy58 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    TRAINER! I found my trainer in the wake of a back injury -- he's a partner in the PT company that handled my therapy. I started with him in the summer of 2013, hoping to build on the benefits of the therapy, work on my core, generally get myself stronger. I was 255 lbs then. He worked with me conscientiously, but was honest in saying that he could do only just so much with me at that weight. Eventually I saw that for myself. I've dropped almost 70 lbs since then, and with every pound lost I've seen an uptick in the intensity and focus of my workouts -- I feel like I'm finally beginning to *train* with this guy, My only regret is that I can't afford to see him more than once a week ...
  • Chines03
    Chines03 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »
    Depends on the person being trained, their goals, and the trainer. Just like any profession there are good trainers and bad trainers. Some people thrive on accountability, others do fine on their own. It all depends.

I totally agree