Looking for a non-GMO meal replacement shake.

Options
This is for my husband mainly, but I would also drink it if it fit my criteria. We are looking for a non-GMO, non-soy, and preferably full of nutrition meal replacement shake. I've come across many that are close, but I just haven't found one that fits all the criteria and actually has good reviews. I'd love to hear your suggestions!

Replies

• gretchygirl32
    gretchygirl32 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I wondered about that one. How's the taste of it? Thanks! :-)
  • TDaddio2
    TDaddio2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Garden of Life Raw Meal for about 1 month. I've lost 4 pounds (no big deal), but I feel more sharp (in my head) and energetic. Previously, I did not eat breakfast at all. This simple breakfast shake seems to help my energy level.
    For a couple weeks I was replacing two meals a day with Raw Meal, but I decided that was too much.

BTW: it tastes like dirt. I use the Chocolate flavor. So it tastes like chocolate dirt.
    I started mixing it with skim milk... much better. Tastes like dirty skim milk.
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    I've been eating Garden of Life Raw Meal for about 1 month. I've lost 4 pounds (no big deal), but I feel more sharp (in my head) and energetic. Previously, I did not eat breakfast at all. This simple breakfast shake seems to help my energy level.
    For a couple weeks I was replacing two meals a day with Raw Meal, but I decided that was too much.

BTW: it tastes like dirt. I use the Chocolate flavor. So it tastes like chocolate dirt.
    I started mixing it with skim milk... much better. Tastes like dirty skim milk.

oh yum. Something that tastes like dirt. Where do I sign up?
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
  • CrazyAnimalLady
    CrazyAnimalLady Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Shaklee has a non gmo vanilla whey protein shake http://member.myshaklee.com/us/en/products.php?sku=21260
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Question (and not meaning this in a rude way) why would you want to replace a meal with something else?

There's a lot of debate on these forums about using shakes. I do 100% approve that you are being smart and at least looking for something non-GMO, so I'm assuming those products won't have nearly as many garbage fillers in them, but there seems to be quite a big of consensus that replacing a meal with a shake isn't necessarily going to help in the long run, unless you plan on using the shakes forever.

Would you be able to make your own home-made non-GMO shake at home at night before you go to bed for the next day? Fresh fruits, greens, and protein powder - BAM - done!
  • dmbfan22
    dmbfan22 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Arbonne, vegan protein mix - chocolate and vanilla
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    if that's truly what you're looking for, shakeology may be a decent product for you.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    Options
    How does one know if the product has been geneticially modified or not?
  • FerretBuellerr
    FerretBuellerr Posts: 468 Member
    Options

Research.

Lots and lots and lots of research
  • niki23poet
    niki23poet Posts: 36 Member
    Options

If you dont see the big "Non-GMO Certified" label anywhere where on the container, then it isnt the non-GMO product you're looking for
  • nksbarnes
    Options
    Try pea protein. It's a non-GMO. I like it with almond milk, flaxseed, brewer yeast, spinach, & whatever kind of fruit.
  • jennyly81
    jennyly81 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There's a product called Orgain. They're available in Whole Foods, soon to be Walgreens, Amazon and their own website.
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

THIS!!!!

I drink it all the time. I haven't tried the vanilla but love the chocolate. I fill my cup with ice before I go to the gym and them add the water and powder for the drive home. It did take me a little bit to get used to the texture but it is absolutely the best thing in the world. Keeps you regular and full of nothing but goodness!!!! If you feel safe to pm your address I will send you a baggy for a try. It is too expensive to buy and not like it. You also could mix it with chocolate almond milk....it is yummy. I buy mine on Vitamin Shoppe....best price anywhere and free shipping!
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Question (and not meaning this in a rude way) why would you want to replace a meal with something else?

There's a lot of debate on these forums about using shakes. I do 100% approve that you are being smart and at least looking for something non-GMO, so I'm assuming those products won't have nearly as many garbage fillers in them, but there seems to be quite a big of consensus that replacing a meal with a shake isn't necessarily going to help in the long run, unless you plan on using the shakes forever.

Would you be able to make your own home-made non-GMO shake at home at night before you go to bed for the next day? Fresh fruits, greens, and protein powder - BAM - done!

Basically when I am in a hurry I grab the shake because it has EVERYTHING in it that you need. It is also a great pre or post workout shake. Not quite as high in the protein as the whey but very close. I tried this because a nutritionist AND my physical trainer use it.
  • TheTrophyWife
    TheTrophyWife Posts: 86 Member
    Options

I came here to read the suggestions about the nonGMO meal replacements and came across your comment and felt compelled to respond.

For some people, eating in itself is a challenge. I was diagnosed as a disordered eater. I do not like eating food and the thought of ingesting 1800-2000 calories EVERY day (I used to ask, "Can't I have that in a week?") used to drive me to tears because it meant I actually had to eat. Having the option of a replacement shake helps alleviate some of the anxiety. If I could live on coffee and sleep I totally would but at least with the replacements I'm at least getting everything that I would in a meal, I just don't have to eat it. I do eat solid food meals and I have learned to balance the replacements with actual meals.

I suppose a person could make their own nonGMO meal replacement shakes but I'm not a fan of drinking my fruits and veggies. For me, that's the grossest thing I can imagine. I'd rather take some powder and mix it with my almond milk and be done with it.
  • hulahoopmama
    hulahoopmama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I love this one in particular, and has a TON of added vits/minerals: http://www.fatsecret.com/Diary.aspx?pa=fjrd&rid=2937425

Its Youngevity: Slender FX shake
  • suelegal
    suelegal Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

Here's one source - the products listed here have undergone rigorous study to be listed. Someone somewhere had said Morningstar Farms was non-GMO, but I found several cites doing a google search that says they are not - going back as far as 10 years ago.

http://www.nongmoproject.org/ - this is a great source but not the only source available.

I wish the stores in my area would do the aisle labels! Just because something is labeled organic doesn't mean it's non-GMO. You can grow GMO grain in an organic environment.

I am not telling YOU that GMOs are good bad or anything else - but for me, with a history of cancer in my family, and some near misses myself, I try to use certified non-GMO foods.

ETA: Oh, one more thing - just because one ingredient is certified non-GMO doesn't make the whole product non-GMO. Check this out!

http://farmwars.info/?p=6694
  • JustTracyB
    Options
    Shake FX is non GMO, sugar free, and Gluten free among other great things. Message me and I can send you a sample. Read more at http://fitfocus.getbodyfx.com/shake-fx/