Egg Nog!!

Options
2»

Replies

• mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Arethusa Farm Egg Nog--from a small dairy farm in Connecticut, and it's only available in stores in CT and NYC. I will be driving from Boston to Hartford on Monday just to pick some up!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Not a fan of egg nog, that artificial stuff in the case at Wal-Mart, no temptation. However, the real, homemade stuff, yummy! Where is the rum?
  • wildrose53
    wildrose53 Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of drinking it but I did make some pretty amazing eggnog fudge last night!
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Best egg nog?

Here.

6 eggs separated
    1c milk
    1 vanilla bean
    2c cream
    1/3-1/5 bottle bourbon
    1oz rum
    Sugar to taste (brown is better, white is whiter.)
    2T fresh grated nutmeg
    1/2t allspice
    1T cinnamon
    1/4t ginger
    pinch of salt

Beat yolks with sugar until light and thick. Mix in milk and all other ingredients except for whites and cream. Set into fridge and let mature for up to a full day. Once matured take the egg whites out to warm for 1 hour, and get a hard chill on the cream in the freezer. Beat both to stiff peaks. Fold cream into base, 1/3rd at a time, then fold whites into base lightly, 1/3rd at a time, and just enough to mostly incorporate the whites mostly. Pour into prechilled punch bowl and grate more nutmeg over the top.

Serves one. Or two. Or 4 really lucky people.
  • Benjinkan
    Benjinkan Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    So making that tonight!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I don't know...I've been making my own for so long now, I don't think I could do a commercial egg nog anymore.

This. Homemade, way better than anything from the store.
  • chriscolh
    chriscolh Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I love egg nog. Which is why I buy the cheap stuff from the store for my boys (who also love egg nog) so I don't drink it all. Although I may or may not be spotted licking out their cups after they drink it. I'm going to do some homemade this year. And if I get hooked, it's your fault. :-)
  • dbmata
    Options
    Benjinkan wrote: »
    So making that tonight!

I'm working on modifying it to have a custard base. If I perfect it, I'll post it.
  • nmcrosier
    nmcrosier Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Yum! I get my eggnog from the farm, they are delivering a half gallon today in my dairy delivery. $5 a quart, so rich & creamy I only take a few sips at a time.
  • JoKnowsJo
    JoKnowsJo Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    Benjinkan wrote: »
    So making that tonight!

I'm working on modifying it to have a custard base. If I perfect it, I'll post it.

wow... (the homemade recipe) I am going to make this... and I will keep checking on the custard base, the calorie base just went out the window :)

• dbmata
    Options
    I don't even wanna know the caloric makeup of that drink. lol.

Also, keep in mind, those numbers are just that. Play with it. Sugar is always to taste, because I don't do a lot of sugar. So if I need to add more to the base later, I'll whip it into the cream.
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    I love all nogs, especially as coffee creamer! So far the best I've made was the following recipe...
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/eggnog-recipe2.html
  • PurringMyrrh
    PurringMyrrh Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    Best egg nog?

Here.

6 eggs separated
    1c milk
    1 vanilla bean
    2c cream
    1/3-1/5 bottle bourbon
    1oz rum
    2T fresh grated nutmeg
    1/2t allspice
    1T cinnamon
    1/4t ginger
    pinch of salt

Beat yolks with sugar until light and thick. Mix in milk and all other ingredients except for whites and cream. Set into fridge and let mature for up to a full day. Once matured take the egg whites out to warm for 1 hour, and get a hard chill on the cream in the freezer. Beat both to stiff peaks. Fold cream into base, 1/3rd at a time, then fold whites into base lightly, 1/3rd at a time, and just enough to mostly incorporate the whites mostly. Pour into prechilled punch bowl and grate more nutmeg over the top.

Man, that first sip when you get some of the top nutmeg...so good.

• Becka4Real
    Becka4Real Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I really like egg nog. I really don't like knowing how it is made. hahaha
  • RunTimer
    RunTimer Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    mitch16 wrote: »
    Arethusa Farm Egg Nog--from a small dairy farm in Connecticut, and it's only available in stores in CT and NYC. I will be driving from Boston to Hartford on Monday just to pick some up!

Arrgh...another reason this former NYer has to be homesick

• RunTimer
    Options
    jrose1982 wrote: »
    I love egg nog. I make my own:
    http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=460192

Since I live alone (and will therefore be drinking it all myself) using a low-carb recipe prevents me from over-doing it.

jrose1982, MMMmmm sounds yummy (although I can't help but notice the absence of rum :wink:
  • RunTimer
    Options
    chriscolh wrote: »
    I love egg nog. Which is why I buy the cheap stuff from the store for my boys (who also love egg nog) so I don't drink it all. Although I may or may not be spotted licking out their cups after they drink it. I'm going to do some homemade this year. And if I get hooked, it's your fault. :-)

Sorry chriscolh, but there are worse addictions :wink:
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Yay for going to a university with a large agriculture and veterinary school lol
    11172012-2-300x200.jpg
  • dbmata
    Options
    Best egg nog?

Here.

6 eggs separated
    1c milk
    1 vanilla bean
    2c cream
    1/3-1/5 bottle bourbon
    1oz rum
    2T fresh grated nutmeg
    1/2t allspice
    1T cinnamon
    1/4t ginger
    pinch of salt

Man, that first sip when you get some of the top nutmeg...so good.

Oh god yes. That's the best, that heady smell, then boom the fresh nutmeg explosion.