What a terrible start to the week....

Options
Hi guys,

i had to miss my WW weigh in/meeting on the weekend and I just don't have the motivation I need... I joined a couple of weeks ago.

I have 2.5 stone to lose... I've not been well for a month and it is really getting me down...

Any words of encouragement?

Replies

• jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Just take it one day at a time. Dieting involves a lot of little "rules", so just pick one to focus on today. This might be carefully logging your food, or maybe doing your exercise. Exercise, especially, might help you feel better. Then tomorrow, add another rule.

Missing a meeting doesn't have to throw you off if you don't let it. If you have a scale, then weigh yourself at home. If it's the meeting that usually helps you - the interaction with other people who are trying to lose - than maybe write a post about what you would have said if you went to the meeting (you don't have to post it if you don't want to, just write it). There might be a WW group on MFP that you can connect with to substitute the missing interaction.

Good luck!
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,716 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry your week didn't start out exactly as you'd wish, but that in NO WAY means the whole weak is a bust! It's barely Monday. Take a deep breath, regroup, look over your meal and exercise plan (if you have one), and just forge ahead.

Also, read some of the threads here that are positive: the tips, the successes, the celebrations, etc. They are awesome!
  • scifi81
    scifi81 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you for replying ladies!

I need to pull myself together.. It doesn't help that I am Bipolar and REALLY stressing about xmas lol
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    You need to focus on recovering from your illness. For most general illnesses, this means proper nutrition (ie, lots of veggies) and light exercise: the same things that will help you manage your weight.

Just remember, your MFP family is here for you. WW's biggest benefit is the group support: you can get that here, especially from your friends.
  • scifi81
    Options
    I am struggling with being ill because I think I have a stomach ulcer or oesophageal ulcer... Ive got to go back to the doctors next week but the worst thing about it is that if i eat the pain goes away.. so i keep eating.....
  • kcd1961
    kcd1961 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Bipolar sucks, big time. What sort of help are you getting with managing that? You will get truckloads of advice here, but that may not be helpful. Start with what you already know. (sorry - I just gave advice)
  • scifi81
    Options
    Thanks Kcd1961. At the moment I am off the medication to lose weight. I have a few 'things' in place for when things get bad but all in all I don't really have much support and I find it hard to make new friends..

I just posted something similar on the WW community page and someone was rude to me... Basically said that BP can;t make you fat... I feel so deflated. All I want are some friends to support me through this time, and vice versa.

Thanks for the advice ;-)
  • Wronkletoad
    Wronkletoad Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    that's really tough. it's really hard trying to find the "right" thing to say. But here goes:

stressful times and sucky times will come and go. your successes will endure and prevail. you will too. It may not help given the intensity and immediacy of how you're feeling (hrumph), but it is there. Take that thought out when you can and know that you can do it. Whatever your max is given the constraints of life, health, ebbs and flows, and know that you will always be able to do that.

Know there's lots of cheering out there. Do your best, knowing the magnitude of "best" will fluctuate. But it's your best and it's you! that's pretty awesome and amazing in itself.

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Do not let people on a weight loss forum tell you about mental illness lol - they are about as qualified as a pickle! Do you have any BP forums? They would probably be a better source of knowledge AND support for you.
    -
    If you read around the forums, you'll see that a big issue for lots and lots of people is this 'all or nothing' thinking. i.e. "I just ate a cookie and am over my calories for today. Might as well eat a cheesecake too!". If you're depressed, it's even more easy to let that thinking run you.

What can work better is to think more long-term - "I missed my meeting this week, but I'll be there next week and the week after". And maybe think about what might be synchronous - "I'm feeling bummed out AND I want to get healthier, let me take a walk and try to contribute on both fronts".

It's tough especially when you're changing your meds status - go easy on yourself <3

• scifi81
    Options
    Thank you wronkletoad, that was pretty inspiring stuff :-) Actually made me put down that piece of cheese I was eating!! lol

Thank you sofaking6 :-) You are right, I will be at the next meeting and in the meantime I still have 4 days to get back on track!

This is such a great site..