DEXA Scan - One year results! Have to tell someone!

Options
2»

Replies

• IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Super job!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Fantastic progress and good luck with the bulk...and eat all teh ice cream =).

• aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    Fantastic progress and good luck with the bulk...and eat all teh ice cream =).

I have not had ice cream for a very long time - I see a shopping trip in my future! But I have whipped cream on just about everything... I can eat anything with whipped cream on it...

And thank you again Sara! You were the reason I started lifting in the first place, and I am using your lifting numbers as my goals - though I need to get some weight back on me or I will never make it! I just need you to hold them steady and stop moving up until I can catch up :)

• mrsmuckster
    mrsmuckster Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Very cool. I've not thought about lifting, but as I look at your transformation am sure thinking about it. The pictures can easily be me - as the top right is very close to my mesurements. I weigh more, but am 5 inches taller. I keep hearing about the skinny fat - and starting to "get it". Did you do any strength training on your own before you found a personal trainer?
  • aylajane
    Options
    Nope I did not. At first he had me doing some circuit machines, showing me how to use them so that on days I was not with him I could do them correctly on my own. Then he progressed into free weights. For a while I only did free weights with him until he was comfortable I could keep proper form on my own. Now I do whatever "homework" he gives me and do the main big lifts (that generally need a spotter, or are so heavy that bad form will really hurt me) with him. I have a power cage at home if I want to do some on my own, but I like having him there.

I do have a friend though that is just using YouTube videos with stronglifts on her own and doing great! Its possible! And you can always hire a trainer just for a few sessions to check your form and give you tips. I just happen to really, really, really like being told what to do! I figure I pay him, I show up and do what I am told (even on days not with him he gives me homework) and I let him worry about the rest :)

I have stopped seeing the chiropractor, and my knees (which have been terrible my whole life, including needed a handicapped parking sticker) are PERFECT now - basically I have had muscle imbalances my whole life (from bad posture, quads stronger than hammies, etc) and I am all even and proportional now. This was the best thing I have ever done.

And really it wouldnt have taken this long, but in July I crashed my motorcycle - separating the AC joint in my shoulder ... I had to start way back at the bottom for lifting and work back up again, so I probably lost about 2 months of advancing to rehab.

Start yesterday :) It is very worth it if you do it right. Dont neglect any muscles (people tend to do the lifts they "like" and skimp on the others... but however heavy you can "push", you should be able to "pull" about the same! Otherwise you cause your body more issues or even new issues!)
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    I just fell in love with this thread!!
    Great work!
    Thank you so so much for sharing all the details.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Fabulous. How inspiring. You look great--good luck with the bulk.
  • jonjhayden
    jonjhayden Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I love DEXA scans. They tell you what you really need to know. Clearly in your case they gave you valuable information. It is so satisfying to know that while the scale is moving slowly, the fat was falling off of you.

Keep up the great work!

BTW, where did you get the DEXA done?
  • aylajane
    Options
    I just fell in love with this thread!!
    Great work!
    Thank you so so much for sharing all the details.

Thank you! I was hesitant to post anything, but just needed someone to tell :) Glad I did!
  • aylajane
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Fabulous. How inspiring. You look great--good luck with the bulk.

Thanks! I am enjoying a little more food today. Bulking messes with your mind... After 25+ years of trying to lose weight - gaining on purpose is SCARY. But I pay the trainer to tell me what to do and it would be stupid not to listen ... so he says bulk, I guess I have to enjoy more food :)
  • aylajane
    edited December 2014
    Options
    jonjhayden wrote: »
    Awesome! I love DEXA scans. They tell you what you really need to know. Clearly in your case they gave you valuable information. It is so satisfying to know that while the scale is moving slowly, the fat was falling off of you.

Keep up the great work!

BTW, where did you get the DEXA done?

I know they do some at universities and all, but there is one clinic here in town that has it so I went there. It is actually a bone density scan and the clinic caters to AIDS related illness, I think that is why they have it. But its open to anyone and was very easy. I would have travelled a bit if I couldnt find one local!
  • kimkay1985
    kimkay1985 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Wow! That is great!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!