10K- How to Know I'm Ready?

Options
Hi all, I have been running and ellipticaling it up for around five months now and have completed 2 5K's. My time on the first was 45 minutes in early September and 40:02 in late November.

I can jog for 10 K's, but am wondering if I should go for an actual race, or whether I need to pick up my 5K pace first.

Any thoughts?

Replies

• sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    If you can "jog" 10K you can run it. You're not expecting to win are you?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what the time has to do with it. If you can jog a 10k, then go do it if you want. I would say the same thing to someone who want to wog the race as well. Let's face it, you aren't going to win so who cares? I am a completer, not a competer!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    If only there were a catch phrase by a popular sports company like Nike to say what I wanted to say.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    fair enough! Thanks!
  • SuggaD
    SuggaD Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    You are ready! Pick a fun race, push yourself a little, and have fun. :smile:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    You can run for 10Km, so enter a race. My first 10K the last finisher was about 1:30, the first finisher at 39 minutes. The main thing is completing it, and giving yourself a benchmark for next time.
  • ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Training for a 10k will improve your 5k time. Running more miles increases endurance, which makes running feel easier, which will improve your pace.
    Do the 10k.
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options
    Thanks! MeanderingMammal, I think I can currently make it in around 1:20, which means, by your experience, I probably wouldn't be the slowest runner (especially with some extra training over the next 2-3 months).

ka98- this is exactly what I needed!

I've started researchig nearby 10Ks and will sign up for my first one tomorrow! I really appreciate everyone's help!
  • 67mirunner
    Options
    You'll never know if you don't try, so go for it!! I know it's intimidating, but if you can cover the distance in ANY time, you're already a success!!
  • girlwithcurls2
    girlwithcurls2 Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    Don't forget that some people register with the intent to walk it. I signed up for a really fun one in November that I ended up having to walk. I was really bummed, thinking I'd be dead last, etc... until I remembered that there are lots of walkers who love these events too. You'll be fine, and you'll have a starting point. You'll probably sign up for your next one before you know it!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Let go of the idea that there is a difference between running and jogging. My first 10k I was second to last, but it was the furthest I had ever run continuously. Just put one foot in front of the other.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Thanks! MeanderingMammal, I think I can currently make it in around 1:20, which means, by your experience, I probably wouldn't be the slowest runner (especially with some extra training over the next 2-3 months).

The first time I ran 10K I did it in 1:09, and that was flat. I entered the race having no idea how I'd do timewise, although I'd by then run the trail itself several times. As a trail race I also knew it'd likely be a bit slower than the flat course.

It really was a question of suck it and see.

On race day I did it in 58 minutes, which meant I hit both my objectives; finish, and finish in less than 60 minutes.

For next year, on that race, it's a goal of 50 minutes.

• carlosjenno
    carlosjenno Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    And FWIW, if you can do a 10k, you can do a half marathon. Just a thought...
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Go for it!! I've been running for about 6 months and did my first 5K back in November (37 mins). I've been steadily increasing my distance since and regularly run 4-5 miles, 3x week. I ran 10K in training to see if I could do it & took 1hr 12mins. Like you I am just contemplating entering my first 10K race!
  • snoringcat
    snoringcat Posts: 131 Member
    Options

Yes...must admit I'm got the 'bug' now & I'm tempted to up the stakes a bit next year!! :wink:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Any thoughts?

I think you should wait at least another year or two. Maybe three.

Also, ensure the moon is in the seventh house and Jupiter aligns with Mars or your race will no doubt perish. Then hop on one leg three times, turn around, touches your toes and then, only then, will you be ready ;)
  • katherine_startrek_fan
    Options

I'm already thinking about it! My goal is to work my way up to a Disney half marathon.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    I can jog for 10 K's, but am wondering if I should go for an actual race, or whether I need to pick up my 5K pace first.

Why does it matter? Are you trying to break a course record or something? Just sign-up for it and have fun. Unless you are in the elite class or have some tall goal then that's all that it's about anyway, right?

Just a side note as well. You will actually start to get faster by running more races as well. It's kinda like a proving ground for your mind regarding the work your body has already done.