Almost everyone quits losing weight

Options
Why do you think you'll stay strong and stick with it?
Why do you think others quit?
What makes you different?

Replies

• Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I didn't think I would and assumed I would fail like the other times, but for this time it was super easy to do it. It didn't really take a lot of willpower, was just easy. Not sure why. i have kept it off for a year and a half. I don't really feel like my habits changed that much. Not sure what I was doing before that made me so much heavier in the first place. I don't log anymore and still kept it off. Hopefully it stays this easy, but who knows.

So, no idea how to compare myself to others here.
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I'm so scared I will lose motivation and quit or quit because I hate compliments from strangers.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Actually, for most people losing weight isn't the issue...maintaining the weight loss is. By and large, people talk a good talk about "lifestyle" change...but really, it's just words...most people never implement such a change.

I lost about 40 Lbs and I've maintained that loss for over 1.5 years and counting. I am very committed to nutrition and to my fitness. I'm a former athlete and once I got back into things I realized how much I missed it and how much I missed being fit and healthy. Also for me it was not so much about losing Lbs as it was reversing a bunch of bad blood work.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I'm motivated, committed, determined and can dredge up patience if I need some.

Other people, I don't know. I think they either have medical/chemical issues or just don't really want to do the work of losing.

I don't think I'm much different, just in a different part of my life. Maybe they'll lose later. :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    People quit because they expect too much too fast, and do too much too fast.

I didn't cut much out; I made some substitutions and started going for smaller portions. I've worked my way up to finally being able to exercise five days a week (aiming for six), doing weights and cardio. I also went into this expecting to take a year and a half to lose close to 90 pounds. The goal now is 100-115 pounds, and I'm only halfway there after eleven and a half months. It's going to take a lot longer than I expected, and I'm fine with that. It's a journey, not a race.
  • DeWoSa
    DeWoSa Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    One day at a time.
  • holyfenix
    holyfenix Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Well yes of course everyone quits losing weight. No one wants to be underweight.

To get to what you are actually asking.

Its really not that hard if you look at it from a certain point of view. Granted I didn't have all that much weight to lose but I was unhappy with the way I looked in a mirror so made a couple small changes. I eat less and workout more. Maybe takes 4 hrs a week from things I was doing before. The only time I have to stay strong is at the grocery store. As long as I don't buy bad food I won't eat it at home.

Food is tasty, and the food that is the worst for you is the tastiest. I have never had a health food that is as good as bacon, especially a hamburger with bacon on it. There is no boiled or baked chicken that is as good as fried chicken. Carbs are delicious. I think people get to a point in their weightloss where they think they look okay so will indulge once or twice. That once or twice turns into 3-4 times and then they are back where they started.

I've never technically been overweight, only unhappy with the way i looked for a short amount of time. It is actually pretty easy for me to do this. Also I have become addicted to the gym which helps.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I think this time I will stay with it because I was 100% ready to make the change. I really think that is key. I made logging my food and exercise a habit that now I cannot change sort of like brushing my teeth.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Q. Why do you think you'll stay strong and stick with it?
    A. Though it has been tough, I don't attribute my strength. I had a lot of determination. And I accepted all the help I could find.

Q. Why do you think others quit?
    A. Hey, I have a long history of stopping. Because it's freaking hard! There can be long spells where there is no apparent progress! It's a big commitment, like bringing a baby/puppy/home-based-business in to the house.

Q. What makes you different?
    A. I am a regular Jane Doe, not different at all. I've been meaning to put Covey's third habit in to practice for over ten years, and now I finally have. I mark the difference it is making in my life, celebrate it and talk about it. I would say at this stage I am running ahead so I won't fall behind. Literally. Running.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    1. Well, sticking with weight loss so far hasn't been to big of an issue. I've had a few bumps in the road, taken a few breaks, and slipped up a few times. I started working on my weight in early 2012, found MFP at the end of 2012, and started using MFP in 2013. I think I'm going to have more problems with maintaining the loss than getting there.
    2. Don't know. Expecting it to come off overnight. Going to extremes. Not having a good support system. There are a lot of things it could be.
    3. *shrug* Dunno.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    Some people quit because they think they have to do some super strict very low calorie diet in order to lose and when it gets too hard they quit.

Some quit because they get frustrated with things that they don't understand, but refuse to learn about it.

Some people quit because they just aren't ready yet.

So far I have stuck with it while hitting road blocks (that I take full responsibility for) but I'm still here and still logging. When I initially made this account I only lasted a few weeks, mainly due to the second reason I stated above.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Actually, for most people losing weight isn't the issue...maintaining the weight loss is. By and large, people talk a good talk about "lifestyle" change...but really, it's just words...most people never implement such a change.

I lost about 40 Lbs and I've maintained that loss for over 1.5 years and counting. I am very committed to nutrition and to my fitness. I'm a former athlete and once I got back into things I realized how much I missed it and how much I missed being fit and healthy. Also for me it was not so much about losing Lbs as it was reversing a bunch of bad blood work.
    Pretty much this. Folks pay lip service to lifestyle changes.
    But the key is actually changing and improving your lifestyle/healthstyle.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options

So in agreement with this!

I wonder if having it be about health instead of just looking better makes a big difference. I started off with a scary diagnosis and everything since has been Health First, and How I Look second.

I wonder how many who lost and kept it off were focused on Health First.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    Well, doesn't everyone stop when they reach goal weight?
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Everybody quits otherwise they would be underweight.

I dipped below 100lb last week so today I am eating toast with PB and a protein drink ( as I type) instead of my preferred fat free Greek yogurt fruit and veg.

Seriously, I lost my 30 lb and have been in maintenance for about 4 years. I just have to do slight calorie adjustments now and again.

Everyone's journey is theirs and theirs alone and to some it is not that important so quitting is OK.

Cheers, h.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

I wonder if having it be about health instead of just looking better makes a big difference. I started off with a scary diagnosis and everything since has been Health First, and How I Look second.

Good question. I fall into that category, as "don't turn into your parents". My dad was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes at 42. Four years ago a routine surgery nearly killed him, and I'm certain it was due to his weight. To me, enough was enough and I told myself I didn't want go through the same things in my 40s and 50s.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    malibu927, my daughter is going through that right now, except (gratefully) I am a positive example. She is in her mid-thirties and all of a sudden it is hard for her to shed pounds.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »

Speaking for myself, vanity is a piss poor motivator. There's certainly an element of vanity for me, but there's no way I would be where I am now if it was just about looking a certain way. It is far more important to me that I am healthy and doing everything I can humanly do to make sure I stick around for awhile for my boys and my wife

I think by and large that for most people who've had long term success, there's a huge element of health involved and wanting to be healthy and fit...even the people I know who are pretty vain are also very health conscious.

• PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I've lost weight before, but have gained it back. I've never exercised before now, though. I honestly don't know if this time will be the time that sticks, but I do know that this time is the first time I've been motivated by health alone and not vanity. I have high hopes because I have, over the years, made other changes to my life for health reasons, and they have been long-lasting. Anything that makes me feel better is usually something I can incorporate into my life. I think this time I am doing everything for the right reasons and have my head in the right place. I'm just starting out on this road, so we'll see. Again... my hopes are high.